The Flash (2022)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Tue, 25 Apr  2023, 16:52
  :(
After letting this one marinate for a while I now quite like it. All the main players are there, we have the title font present and the overall palette pops. In some ways the overall design reminds me of the Burton-Schumacher era. I think this is intended to be the final, official poster.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed, 17 May  2023, 20:39
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Wed, 17 May  2023, 19:45
Is anyone else surprised that they're leaning more into the aesthetics of the 89 film rather than Returns? The only things I've noticed from Returns thus far are the logo on the suit and the glider cape.
Not really. 89 is the undisputed favorite classic Batman film of that series at least among the general audience. Returns is beloved by far less and generally considered the first runner up for the worst of the franchise behind Batman and Robin. The only reason your getting the Returns chest logo is because the 89 one looks "weird" with the extra points.
A big BR fan here, but indeed, all the big iconic Batman moments happen in the first movie. They have been promoting the Burtonverse as Earth 89, so those elements are what they're going to focus on.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Wed, 17 May  2023, 19:45
Is anyone else surprised that they're leaning more into the aesthetics of the 89 film rather than Returns? The only things I've noticed from Returns thus far are the logo on the suit and the glider cape.

Bruce's civilian clothes look to have been modelled on his BR wardrobe more than the fashions he sported in B89.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed, 17 May  2023, 20:39Returns is beloved by far less and generally considered the first runner up for the worst of the franchise behind Batman and Robin.

That might have been true back in the nineties, but nowadays the consensus definitely favours Batman Returns over Batman Forever.

BR has an 81% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is the highest of any film in the Burton-Schumacher series, and it has the same 'top critic' score (68%) as Batman Begins. Its Metascore is only 1% lower than Batman 89's, and while B89's IMDb rating has dropped in recent years BR's has been steadily rising. Empire Magazine included BR on its 500 greatest movies list, Japanese filmmaker Satoshi Kon included it on his 100 greatest films list, and American filmmaker Darren Aronofsky described it as a "masterpiece". BR was underappreciated when it first came out, but its reputation has significantly improved since the Nolan trilogy ended. A lot of people seem to feel that while B89 is more nostalgic and a better Batman story, BR has aged better on a technical level and is a superior work of filmmaking overall.

I'm not saying Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic are a reliable way of gauging a film's quality, because they certainly aren't. I'm just citing them as metrics to illustrate the consensus.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 19 May  2023, 11:08
Bruce's civilian clothes look to have been modelled on his BR wardrobe more than the fashions he sported in B89.

Well spotted.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 19 May  2023, 11:08
A lot of people seem to feel that while B89 is more nostalgic and a better Batman story, BR has aged better on a technical level and is a superior work of filmmaking overall.
That's accurate. The way Burton uses The Penguin and Catwoman makes it the better told story even though B89 is such an iconic showcase for Batman and The Joker, who are the most well known characters in the franchise. I don't think Returns is hated these days at all. Just yesterday Lego announced a BR batcave set, and a children's picture story book on the film was also released not long ago.

BTS photo of Antje Traue on set for "The Flash".

And

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 20 May  2023, 00:52

BTS photo of Antje Traue on set for "The Flash".

And

So it sounds like the idea of bringing Keaton back possibly originated with the Muschietti's?

Some comments about the video about Keaton returning: it looks like he retains the Bat turn with his body movement, which is great to see. That component really helps in making him the best of the modern Batman actors for me. The way he completely immersed himself in the persona, with the suit making him a whole other person entirely. I had feared a more mobile neck would reduce or erase this component. His facial expressions when piloting the batwing are also very similar to those in the original Burton films, I'd describe it as an angry focus. And the other Barry saying he saw the Batmobile on TV as a kid seals the deal this Batman is 100% a variant.

Tix are on sale right now

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 22 Mar  2023, 11:24
QuoteRated PG-13 for sequences of violence and action, some strong language and partial nudity.
https://www.filmratings.com/search?filmTitle=The%20Flash

I hope the 'partial nudity' isn't Ezra.

QuoteGore detailed, "I'll just say this. I'm like cringing. Some of these jokes don't land. Two Ezra Millers are just kind of annoying. He even does some things in it like when he goes to visit his mom, he's in his Flash costume, he doesn't have clothes so he steals some clothes from an old lady. So he's wearing like a woman's top. It's very much what a they/them would wear."

"And then there's another scene where the other version of Barry is completely naked," he revealed. "And not just for a little bit of time. Like a lot. He's naked a lot. You see his butt very clear. You don't see the twigs and berries."

Gore then revealed his reaction to this scene, "And I'm sitting here in a room with 7-year-olds watching this film thinking, 'This is kind of inappropriate.' The amount of nudity. One quick thing like a Coppertone ad. And I'm like this is going on like this amount of nudity is a little too much."

"Now, it's all played like innocent and goofy and fun or whatever, but it's alarming," he added.
https://boundingintocomics.com/2023/05/24/the-flash-film-reportedly-features-ezra-millers-barry-allen-naked-a-lot-as-well-as-an-up-skirt-shot-of-gal-gadots-wonder-woman/

We should've seen this coming. Male nudity is more common than these days.

Still, the exact level of nudity that Gore describes sounds just plain weird.

I'll concur with Gore if it's true about Gal Gadot's, and Sasha Calle ass shots.

No complaints. No complaints, whatsoever.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."