The Flash (2022)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic
The Flash is done. Work has completed, and in just over a month's time it will screen at Cinemacon. Be prepared for spoilers!

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Tue, 21 Mar  2023, 16:19
The Flash is done. Work has completed, and in just over a month's time it will screen at Cinemacon. Be prepared for spoilers!

Hurrah!  :)

QuoteRated PG-13 for sequences of violence and action, some strong language and partial nudity.
https://www.filmratings.com/search?filmTitle=The%20Flash

I hope the 'partial nudity' isn't Ezra.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 22 Mar  2023, 11:24
QuoteRated PG-13 for sequences of violence and action, some strong language and partial nudity.
https://www.filmratings.com/search?filmTitle=The%20Flash

I hope the 'partial nudity' isn't Ezra.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sat, 18 Mar  2023, 23:37
I miss when we got a few ever few years and they were a big deal. I agree, we have way too many

The closest thing I got to experiencing something like that was probably Spider-Man in 2002. The Dark Knight was huge as well but that was released in a year that had 5 comic book movies. When Spider-Man came out it was the only big super hero movie of that year and it felt like an event. I wasn't around to experience the Batmania of 1989, but the hype for Spider-Man has to be the closest comparison point I have for big marketing of a superhero movie. Spider-Man was everywhere in the lead up to that movie and there was a palpable sense of excitement amongst people. I've always said that Spider-Man and The Dark Knight are the only superhero films from my lifetime that felt like events upon release.

Even with Endgame I didn't get that same palpable sense of excitement, but then again marketing a superhero movie now is much different than the early 2000's.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 18 Mar  2023, 23:24
I'm a Cruiser and his endorsement means a lot in terms of selling a film the studio seems to be very proud about, but nonetheless with apprehension about Ezra Miller. The Flash without the hook of Keaton would not have me interested. But the hook is there and it sets it apart. There are too many superhero movies out there being made, and a lot of them are full of pathetic, unnatural dialogue and cheesy acting. They need to pull way back with the number of these they're making. You've seen one you've seen them all, and forget them a day later. Case in point the new Shazam film and its poor opening numbers. I'm all about justifying your placement on that big screen and generating hype for your product. The Flash could be that.

Completely agree on this. A lot of superhero films have been released over the past 10 years but how many of them were great movies? I'd argue for only 3 (Days of Future Past, Logan, and Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse) which is ridiculous to me. Why are superhero film on the level of The Dark Knight, and Spider-Man 2 still a rarity? With the amount of money that these films make there should be multiple films on that level coming out every year. Tbh Marvel and DC need to drop this cinematic universe bs because it's getting in the way of this genre evolving. The MCU in particular has proven that they're more interested in quantity over quality.

Wed, 22 Mar 2023, 15:19 #786 Last Edit: Wed, 22 Mar 2023, 15:21 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Wed, 22 Mar  2023, 15:00Why are superhero film on the level of The Dark Knight, and Spider-Man 2 still a rarity?
You raise an interesting point here.

At the end of Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, a bunch of characters from previous View Askew movies make cameo appearances. One of them is the fanboy guy who says something like "Why can't we ever get a GOOD comic book movie?!"

That was very much the attitude fans had back in the Eighties and Nineties. For every B89 that came along (of which there were very few), you'd get three or four Tank Girls or Barb Wires. Utterly crap comic book (or related) movies were the norm rather than the exception. Even when good comic book-adjacent films came along like 1994's The Shadow (which isn't comic books exactly but c'mon), #1 it was still a bit flawed and #2 the public mostly disregarded it.

To bring it closer to home, I can contextualize Batman & Robin NOW. I rather enjoy it TODAY. But the jury is in. B&R was the total opposite of what the hardcore comic book fans wanted back in the Nineties.

Or something else, X-Men: First Class is generally respected. But it just doesn't get the same level of admiration as Days Of Future Past. And yet, if X-Men: First Class had been made back in the Nineties, you don't want to know how awful it would've been. There were too many ways for Hollywood to utterly ruin the material. FC is a better film for being made in 2011 than it would've been had it been made in 1996.

To sum it all up, I understand your frustration. But the overall/mean/average quality level of comic book films has risen immensely over the decades. Yes, TDK and Spider-Man 2 remain outliers for their greatness. But these days, crap comic book films like 1997's Spawn are less frequent. Plus, they quickly get shown the door. Look at stuff like Morbius, for example. Average stuff like First Class is (or was) closer to the norm.

That's progress.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Wed, 22 Mar  2023, 15:00
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 18 Mar  2023, 23:24
I'm a Cruiser and his endorsement means a lot in terms of selling a film the studio seems to be very proud about, but nonetheless with apprehension about Ezra Miller. The Flash without the hook of Keaton would not have me interested. But the hook is there and it sets it apart. There are too many superhero movies out there being made, and a lot of them are full of pathetic, unnatural dialogue and cheesy acting. They need to pull way back with the number of these they're making. You've seen one you've seen them all, and forget them a day later. Case in point the new Shazam film and its poor opening numbers. I'm all about justifying your placement on that big screen and generating hype for your product. The Flash could be that.
Completely agree on this. A lot of superhero films have been released over the past 10 years but how many of them were great movies? I'd argue for only 3 (Days of Future Past, Logan, and Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse) which is ridiculous to me. Why are superhero film on the level of The Dark Knight, and Spider-Man 2 still a rarity? With the amount of money that these films make there should be multiple films on that level coming out every year. Tbh Marvel and DC need to drop this cinematic universe bs because it's getting in the way of this genre evolving. The MCU in particular has proven that they're more interested in quantity over quality.
I think it comes down to the nature of shared universes. When characters are introduced there's an expectation that we will continue to see them no matter what, so scripts need to be written - and those scripts are not born out of love. If the magnitude of comic book movies being released was greatly reduced, and restrictions were placed on how many can be made per year, you'd find the quality would gradually improve. This material should be special and illicit excitement, and that hasn't been the case for a while now. The best CB movies have something important to say and reflect the culture and times in which it is made. It's apparent to me Spider-Man 2 isn't going to be topped in terms of connecting to a superhero's turmoil. That type of emotional realism has been hard to find as the push has been for cheap jokes that work to impair the overall experience.

Fri, 24 Mar 2023, 13:47 #788 Last Edit: Sat, 25 Mar 2023, 18:33 by eledoremassis02
I added the music used in the "I'm Batman" scene from twitter, to the video from the trailer
https://streamable.com/ogtpsx

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Fri, 24 Mar  2023, 13:47
I added the music used in the "I'm Batman" scene from twitter, to the video from the trailer
https://streamable.com/p5m9hv
That's seems much closer than what I've seen others do on twitter. I'm sure the film edit will be similar.