The Flash (2022)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travesty on Thu, 13 Jul  2023, 16:12Yeah, I didn't like that scene either. It was very awkward. To me, that's a joke that would work in something like The Boys, but it just doesn't work in The Flash.

I dunno, it was weird.
I think the Batfleck action scene was pretty good, even though his suit was poor. Possibly the worst we've seen yet in the live action films. But that Batcycle action is connected to the baby rescuing, which lowers how I feel about that segment as a whole.
Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 20 Jun  2023, 14:21So how do you guys feel about Andy Muschietti directing Batman: The Brave and the Bold? Apparently, it's a done deal, but who knows now that Flash flopped hard.

Do you even want him to be involved?
More on this: I watched Blade Runner (The Final Cut) again recently, and if that doesn't excite anybody about the potential of a Batman Beyond film nothing will. It's one of the best looking films ever in my opinion, especially in terms of creating a specific ambience. At this stage I'd rather WB hold their horses and let Reeves stand alone. But if they really want Andy to make his movie there better be a good reason for existing. Beyond would've been that, but alas, it seems that opportunity has passed us by.

Went thru all the special features and the main making of is fantastic. Probly one of the best I've seen in a long time.

It was also nice to see how hands on Affleck was with his Batman scenes.

I wasn't sure where to post this video, but it popped up in my YouTube recommendations and I think the creator successfully articulates a point we've tried getting across in several of our discussions. The phrase "Well, that happened" perfectly encapsulates the kind of snarky dialogue and attitudes that have become all too prevalent in modern blockbusters and TV shows. Instead of working hard to make us believe in the fantastic (for example, the Netflix Daredevil) the writers cynically draw attention to how absurd it is (for example, the Disney+ She-Hulk). It's lazy and formulaic, and I'm bored of it.

I like a little humour in my science fiction and fantasy, but I also like to be able to take the speculative elements seriously so I can believe in the world the storyteller is presenting. That way I can be moved by the dramatic events occurring within that world. I don't need to be constantly reminded how silly the genre is by writers who clearly have contempt for it.

Good find. And good point! The first time I can remember noticing this and being turned off by it was the Thanos Is Coming scene from Infinity War.

The most dangerous person in the entire universe is on his way. And when he gets here, he's coming for blood.

And what do the characters do? They do the "hitherto" bit, joke about ice cream, etc. Every effort to establish the stakes is constantly undermined by quips.

And something else I noticed is that when I would criticize this on reddit back in the old days, I'd get downvoted into oblivion.

But starting a year or two ago, those reddit comments didn't get downvotes anymore. Now, they get upvotes and at least a few people say something like "Yeah, it's lame when movies make fun of themselves like that".

Seems to me a sea change is going on.

"Lol, did he just say sea change? What's a sea change?"
"Maybe it's like climate change or something. The sea's are rising?"
"So, it's good news then, right? Seafood will be cheaper!"
"Man, I could really go for some calamari right about now, lol!"

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  5 Aug  2023, 11:17I wasn't sure where to post this video, but it popped up in my YouTube recommendations and I think the creator successfully articulates a point we've tried getting across in several of our discussions. The phrase "Well, that happened" perfectly encapsulates the kind of snarky dialogue and attitudes that have become all too prevalent in modern blockbusters and TV shows. Instead of working hard to make us believe in the fantastic (for example, the Netflix Daredevil) the writers cynically draw attention to how absurd it is (for example, the Disney+ She-Hulk). It's lazy and formulaic, and I'm bored of it.

I like a little humour in my science fiction and fantasy, but I also like to be able to take the speculative elements seriously so I can believe in the world the storyteller is presenting. That way I can be moved by the dramatic events occurring within that world. I don't need to be constantly reminded how silly the genre is by writers who clearly have contempt for it.
I was about to bring up an example that's in his video. This is why something like Spider-Man 2 still stands as one of the best superhero films ever made. It has plenty of humor, but it knows when to drop that and take the characters seriously. That scene between Peter and Aunt May where he reveals what happened on the night of Uncle Ben's death is completely sincere. There's no joke in there to undercut the situation. I do wish these big budget films had a better mastery of tone in that way.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sat,  5 Aug  2023, 18:11I was about to bring up an example that's in his video. This is why something like Spider-Man 2 still stands as one of the best superhero films ever made. It has plenty of humor, but it knows when to drop that and take the characters seriously. That scene between Peter and Aunt May where he reveals what happened on the night of Uncle Ben's death is completely sincere. There's no joke in there to undercut the situation. I do wish these big budget films had a better mastery of tone in that way.
The issue with the approach of various superhero films is that they're taking the approach that fantasy is colliding with their real world.

When Bond finds a luxury control centre in the Amazon jungle and blasts off into space from a shuttle it's all seamless and completely accepted as normal by the hero and everyone who inhabits that world. Mocking the scenario in the film itself would break the immersion. Anything that happens in such a reality is possible and viewers saying it's not and illogical are missing the point completely.

Adam West and Gene Wilder knew exactly what I'm talking about. Play it straight and let the film present itself as what it is. Making escapist entertainment isn't as easy as people seem to think, and it's not always understood or judged on the correct merits. Marvel and DC have both missed the mark when it comes to translating material to the big screen.

It was brought to my attention that Geoff Johns was featured in a behind-the-scenes featurette for The Flash.

Yes, let's invite the man who was one of the key antagonists behind the Josstice L debacle, sabotaging the flegling DCEU and cost the studio billions of dollars with flops like that movie and WW84, and got exposed for enabling Joss Whedon's abuse on the set of JL. Yet, not only was WB okay with all of that and gave him a job to write more for DC Comics, but they still invited him to speak publicly for film featurettes, in addition to writing DC TV shows. He probably still had some secret input for The Flash. It would explain why they recycled the Lasso of Truth joke from Josstice L. Apologists will try to excuse Johns' involvement in this promo because of his extensive Flash bibliography, but that blatantly ignores the bad publicity he is guilty of.

If there's a silver lining to this, The Flash's failure is well deserved, and if the streaming numbers trailing behind Black Adam are anything to go by then there's another insult to injury. But now, I'm at a point if DC Comics can't get sold to a more professional company, then I will not shed a tear if it goes bankrupt one day. The same definitely goes for WB.

I said last year don't be surprised if WB rehires Whedon for another DC job. If they're willing to go with that disgusting pervert Gunn and bastards like Johns, then I bet they will try rehabilitate Whedon's image.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It was announced today that Tom Cruise has signed a new deal with WBD to create his own IP and film content with his own production company. Now it makes sense why he praised The Flash before it was coming out. It also fuels speculation that the new merger negotiations with WBD and Paramount will likely happen.

It's all part of a political game.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei