The Flash (2022)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Fri,  2 Jun  2023, 13:07
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  2 Jun  2023, 07:46
Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Thu,  1 Jun  2023, 14:40
I would even say it's handled better than how Elfman included the 89 theme in Justice League (granted he basically had to rush it)
It does come off a little more TAS-ish but thats not really a bad thing
The Burton theme actually belongs in this movie whereas it didn't in JL. Elfman's music does have a flourish about it that isn't booming like Zimmer, and I think that's captured here in the new sample. Batman's back and he's going into battle. It's a moment to celebrate and I'm happy that's what we're getting, as opposed to Jake Skywalker never leaving his island of brooding and getting to strut his stuff in person. 

As for the final scene with Barry, the Batman we see is Clooney. I think that's great because it now gives us four generations of Batman in the film (West, Keaton, Affleck, Clooney), making it a wide showcase of the character's cinematic history. I don't think something like that's ever going to happen again.

Fiar point, but I felt it was underutlized as a theme in general (compared to the Reeves Superman theme).
It felt like Elfman was burying his Batman theme deliberately, to have it there but also not. In any case I don't recognize WhedonLeague as canon. As soon as Snyder was dropped the consistency of the universe fell away, and I'm glad it's all over now. But The Flash should have been the true end of the line - they're going ahead with Aquaman II, and making it the first DCU project. All because the original film made $1 billion they think the sequel could perform somewhat similar. Word is the film is an absolute stinker, and all the tinkering in the world hasn't changed that. Having that as the first film of a new canon would be unacceptable to me from a quality point of view.

It's going to be curious to see how the ending plays out with people. It's kind of jarring to see Supergirl and BatKeaton promoted so prominently in glory, knowing the last we see them they're dead - regardless if we can say they're sent back to their timelines off screen. Both are victims of the DCEU tinkerfest. They could've had happy closure with their original last scene appearance outside the courthouse, but a reboot means they don't.

This wasn't meant to be the end (he filmed content for Batgirl), but now it is. From that point of view I'll always view The Flash as not the pure work as originally intended. I doubt Keaton will comment on this right now, or possibly ever, but I'd still like to know what he really thinks of the changing context of his return. The role does mean something to him. As soon as he saw the new cave for the first time he sent a photo to Tim Burton.

I'm not sure how much money the movie is going to make. I think Keaton is a draw, but the disdain for Miller and the overall quality of the DCEU are factors that will play a part. To what degree I don't know. If the movie underperforms to a large degree, after the many advance screenings and word of mouth the studio has pumped out, it would be a severe blow. And it would make me wonder how long the downturn would last. A Gunn led DCU would not equal automatic success at all - it would also be in the firing line.

Via "Flash Visual Companion" book.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

This is a very good and interesting point. I was actually thinking about how Elfman said "Batman already has a theme, mine" and how I really feel like he was told to do it to help seperate it from the Snyder scores. I actually hope people start asking him about his time scoring Batman with Keaton coming back.

That said, I feel like Keaton's theme coming back was not mared by Justice League at all. It's always great hearing it. I do think its also the more dyamic theme of the Batman themes (the Batman coming a close second)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sat,  3 Jun  2023, 00:56
That said, I feel like Keaton's theme coming back was not mared by Justice League at all. It's always great hearing it. I do think its also the more dyamic theme of the Batman themes (the Batman coming a close second)
It shouldn't have been there but the theme itself wasn't hurt in the slightest. It's too iconic for that to happen. While I've grown to really like the ambience Zimmer created, Elfman's main hero theme can't be topped.

Articles are out there saying a sequel for The Flash has already been written and Keaton and Calle are included. This would have been the plan under the old regime. Even if the movie is a runaway success I can't see it happening under the same circumstances, in the short term or even at all. The new slate will get underway and take precedence.

Know what I was thinking, it would have/would be nice to see a villain collection. It would expand the history a bit more than the suits and add some nice Easter eggs.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  4 Jun  2023, 23:54It shouldn't have been there but the theme itself wasn't hurt in the slightest. It's too iconic for that to happen. While I've grown to really like the ambience Zimmer created, Elfman's main hero theme can't be topped.
What I'm hoping for is that the usage of the Elfman theme will remind Hollywood composers about how important and iconic themes can be. Like you, I have a tremendous affection for Zimmer's atmospherics.

But nothing can compete with a powerful theme.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  4 Jun  2023, 23:54Articles are out there saying a sequel for The Flash has already been written and Keaton and Calle are included. This would have been the plan under the old regime. Even if the movie is a runaway success I can't see it happening under the same circumstances, in the short term or even at all. The new slate will get underway and take precedence.
In the (unlikely) event that The Flash hits $1 billion, somebody from WBD will want to make a sequel.

It's sort of a non-issue since it looks like The Flash would have to violate several different laws of economics (and maybe even physics) to even come close to $1 billion. I'm just saying that IF that were to happen, Gunn would be in a mighty uncomfortable position.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Mon,  5 Jun  2023, 01:30
Know what I was thinking, it would have/would be nice to see a villain collection. It would expand the history a bit more than the suits and add some nice Easter eggs.
A while back I read that we see Joker's laugh box in the cave.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  5 Jun  2023, 03:29
What I'm hoping for is that the usage of the Elfman theme will remind Hollywood composers about how important and iconic themes can be. Like you, I have a tremendous affection for Zimmer's atmospherics.

But nothing can compete with a powerful theme.
The movies that have become classics would not have the same resonance if they lacked powerful themes. They are experiences in which emotional connections are made with an audience. Jurassic Park, for example, would not have anywhere near the same atmosphere if anyone other than John Williams did the score. That type of work is lightning in a bottle. I think Elfman managed to capture some of that with Batman.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  5 Jun  2023, 03:29
In the (unlikely) event that The Flash hits $1 billion, somebody from WBD will want to make a sequel.

It's sort of a non-issue since it looks like The Flash would have to violate several different laws of economics (and maybe even physics) to even come close to $1 billion. I'm just saying that IF that were to happen, Gunn would be in a mighty uncomfortable position.
WB are pushing the movie loud and proud, but I think it's because they need a win right now. We all know why The Flash was delayed for a year. I don't think they are necessarily comfortable with the situation as it stands, but the Keaton angle is enough to get them through and bank some money - even if it doesn't reach the billion mark. Which like you, I'm sceptical about.

Can the studio openly distance themselves against the main star of the movie they're trying to sell right now? Not really. If people ask about a hypothetical sequel they have to express confidence in Miller coming back, as it demonstrates confidence in what he has already done. I'm thinking especially if Andy Muschietti directs The Brave and the Bold, The Flash 2 as a major project is pushed into the distance. Gunn seems to be hiding behind the multiverse in that any character could appear sometime in the future.