The Flash (2022)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic
The Wrap has posted some extra details about Affleck's involvement in The Flash courtesy of an insider source: https://www.thewrap.com/ben-affleck-to-return-as-bruce-wayne-in-ezra-millers-the-flash-movie/

They're saying that Ben was approached about the project a few months ago, but only signed on last week after receiving a new draft of the script that implemented some suggestions he'd made. The Wrap is also stating that Affleck will suit up and that this will be his final appearance as Batman and won't lead to a movie or miniseries on HBO Max. I think most fans already assumed the HBO Max rumours were unlikely to be true, so there's nothing terribly surprising here.

From Mark Hughes:

I know some other sites are saying they hear this news of Affleck's return in The Flash does not signal any current plans for an HBO Max series, and that could be true. But I hear other things suggesting HBO Max has been brought up, and let's just be frank here — we are getting this news today after weeks of denials of any project being in the works at all, especially with Affleck involved.

Having already doubted the rumors of this once, and after hearing strong official denials, I'm not inclined to dismiss the other rumors so fast anymore. If anything, today's announcement should make us all slower to discount the rumors. Remember, the denial is about anything being in the works or planned right now — that's a common dodge for something that could be discussed and might just not be in any official stage yet. Plus, we all know the track record of denials about all of this stuff lately.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2020/08/20/ben-afflecks-batman-returns-in-the-flash/#359715cc2bf4

I wouldn't put much stock in the bloggers who are skeptical about Affleck's status. After all, most of these people denied the Snyder cut's existence for years, and look what happened. Hell, most of these pricks also said Affleck hated playing the role, which is completely false.

I'm not saying I'm confident Affleck will continue from this point on. All I'm saying is anything can happen. I'll wait and see what happens, but right now, I'm simply soaking in the realisation that Affleck AND Keaton are returning to play their Batman roles in the SAME MOVIE. That alone is a cause for celebration. Anything more than that will be a bonus.

Andres Muschietti has made some very encouraging comments about how he wants incorporate to Batfleck in The Flash.

His Batman has a dichotomy that is very strong, which is his masculinity—because of the way he looks, and the imposing figure that he has, and his jawline —but he's also very vulnerable. He knows how to deliver from the inside out, that vulnerability. He just needs a story that allows him to bring that contrast, that balance.

He's a very substantial part of the emotional impact of the movie. The interaction and relationship between Barry and Affleck's Wayne will bring an emotional level that we haven't seen before. It's Barry's movie, it's Barry's story, but their characters are more related than we think. They both lost their mothers to murder, and that's one of the emotional vessels of the movie. That's where the Affleck Batman kicks in.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/08/ben-affleck-returns-batman-the-flash-multiverse-keaton

By the sounds of it, the film could be bringing to life that memorable letter scene. For that to work, it would sense to bring back Jeffrey Dean Morgan to play Thomas Wayne/Batman. If not, they'll have to think of something different to convey that emotion.

Muschietti's sister, Barbara, describes how they approached Affleck.

There have been some all sorts of stories and things he said himself about having a very hard time playing Batman, and it had been difficult for him. I think it was more about a difficult time in his life. When we approached him, he's now in a very different time in his life. He was very open to it, which was a bit of a surprise to us. It was a question mark.

We are all human and go through great times in our lives and terrible times in our lives. Right now he's in a place where he can actually enjoy being Batman. It's a pivotal role, but at the same time it's a fun part.

Regardless whether Affleck continues in some capacity or not, The Flash has become my second anticipated film, after ZSJL.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 21 Aug  2020, 14:35
The Wrap is also stating that Affleck will suit up and that this will be his final appearance as Batman and won't lead to a movie or miniseries on HBO Max. I think most fans already assumed the HBO Max rumours were unlikely to be true, so there's nothing terribly surprising here.
ZSJL was being viewed as the final form of closure to a man who had already departed the role. In a matter of months, Flashpoint is now being viewed as that closure. That's how things change. DCEU Batman will be Keaton. Which makes me inclined to believe if it ever happens, future Affleck content will be self contained, much like his Deathstroke script, without any appearance from League members.

Batfleck wouldn't die, but I wouldn't be surprised if the film ends with his universe effectively sealed off forever. Which would be emotional for Ezra's Flash, as that's his Bruce, and of course the audience. It would be cinematic gold, especially if we get a scene shortly before that of Batfleck receiving a letter from his father. If you want an ending of sorts, that's what you do.

I'm also hoping this means Jeremy Irons is back for an appearance, as he has been absolutely fantastic.

So I'm thinking that Keaton gives Barry his new suit. During DC Fandome, they showed a sketch of a scene, and said Batman gives Barry a new suit, and it was Kaeton's Batman.

Pretty cool.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 22 Aug  2020, 18:58
Here's the sketch:

The background resembles the facility where Batman, Flash and Cyborg found Superman in the Flashpoint comic. Or is it Axis Chemicals? Either way, it certainly looks like the Burtonverse. :) And is that the Batmobile in the background or just an ordinary car?

Here's Barry's new organic suit, which is a big improvement over his old one IMO.

During the panel they said that he gets this from Bruce. I'm assuming they meant Keaton rather than Affleck. The Burton Batman must make this for him after Barry arrives in the Burtonverse.

I'm so stoked for this movie. I was excited just to see Flash on the big screen, but now that Keaton and Affleck are in it, I'm beyond excited.

This is so cool. I love it!

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 22 Aug  2020, 19:12
The background resembles the facility where Batman, Flash and Cyborg found Superman in the Flashpoint comic. Or is it Axis Chemicals? Either way, it certainly looks like the Burtonverse. :) And is that the Batmobile in the background or just an ordinary car?
Hard to answer conclusively on either question. I think the Burtonverse car will definitely feature, though.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 22 Aug  2020, 19:12
During the panel they said that he gets this from Bruce. I'm assuming they meant Keaton rather than Affleck. The Burton Batman must make this for him after Barry arrives in the Burtonverse.
This is perfect for Keaton's Batman, as he repairs his own equipment and also makes his own equipment. I have faith they're going to honor his incarnation, enriching his legacy. His role really does seem like it'll be a lot more than a cameo.

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 22 Aug  2020, 19:19
I'm so stoked for this movie. I was excited just to see Flash on the big screen, but now that Keaton and Affleck are in it, I'm beyond excited.

This is so cool. I love it!
I feel the same way.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 22 Aug  2020, 19:27
This is perfect for Keaton's Batman, as he repairs his own equipment and also makes his own equipment.

Perhaps the more organic design of the new Flash costume is to some extent intended to reflect the organic/anatomical look of the 1989 batsuit.

I was hoping for a pre-recorded message from Michael, but the more I think about it, the concept art gives us a lot to chew on. It reveals quite a lot about this Batman, in terms of past and present. I'm envisioning a suit creation type sequence, or at least the discussion about it, inside a recreated B89 batcave. Insane to believe this is happening.