The Flash (2022)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 13:24Andy Muschietti claims the bad special effects were intentional.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/the-flash-director-defends-visual-effects-intended-look-weird-1235646675/

It goes make sense because given how bad Barry Allans parents look when the speed force is envolved

I'll get around to seeing it later this week. Sadly, parts of it was already spoiled (as memes, of all things).

Just to check in before I see it, this is how I rank my anticipation of the characters/actors:
1. Michael Keaton's Batman - The obvious
2. The Flash - Okay, it's technically his movie but a solo Flash movie was still overdue
3. Ben Affleck's Batman - Still one of the best Batmen that hasn't even gotten a good movie yet, but I'm here for it
4. General Zod - Starting to get indifferent at this point because we're veering into areas of the past that aren't as fondly remembered. Still a serviceable villain, but no one was clamoring for the return of this particular character.
5. Supergirl - I'd say I'm opposed to introducing such an important character in the Flash's film when it's already so dense with other characters. We're approaching the Spider-Man 3 effect now.
100. Ezra Miller - I just wanted to reiterate that I'm separating the art from the artist. I'd usually be opposed to the subject of a film playing second fiddle to another character, but when the subject is Ezra Miller, and the other is Michael Keaton, I don't blame them one bit for putting Keaton in all the promotional material.

I'm sure Supergirl was used to bypass Cavill, with the multiverse hook being the narrative excuse. And I wasn't impressed with Calle either. Anyone could've done what she did. Granted, she didn't have much to work with, but I found her on the bland side. IMO a lot of people who praise her are just doing so because they think she looks good in the suit, and to that I'm even indifferent. If this is her first and last appearance I don't see it as a huge loss.

So how do you guys feel about Andy Muschietti directing Batman: The Brave and the Bold? Apparently, it's a done deal, but who knows now that Flash flopped hard.

Do you even want him to be involved?

Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 20 Jun  2023, 14:21So how do you guys feel about Andy Muschietti directing Batman: The Brave and the Bold? Apparently, it's a done deal, but who knows now that Flash flopped hard.

I think the Keaton stuff was fine. But I'm less sure than I was before about Andy. I absolutely think we know way too much about the entire process of CBMs from start to finish, from the casting, set leaks and the entire plot known well in advance. Then the trailers show over half the movie.

If the DCU Batman is set during the daylight prominently and has an increase in humor I'm feeling apprehensive about it. The Reeves universe would be enough right now but there's going ahead with yet another actor.

Whatever one thinks of The Batman and Joker, those movies communicated to the cinema going public that they were a class above the usual fare in terms of cinematography, soundtrack and tone. After anticipating Keaton's return for so long it feels like a thud now, and I'm fine with pulling back a tad.

Bring on Dead Reckoning Part One.

Wed, 21 Jun 2023, 19:45 #925 Last Edit: Wed, 21 Jun 2023, 19:47 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 20 Jun  2023, 14:21So how do you guys feel about Andy Muschietti directing Batman: The Brave and the Bold? Apparently, it's a done deal, but who knows now that Flash flopped hard.

I don't know how much Muschietti should be blamed for The Flash's failure. He was in an invidious position from the moment he signed on to direct it. The Flash had been trapped in development hell for some time prior to his involvement, with numerous other directors and writers quitting the project. In landing the gig he was handed a poisoned chalice. Muschietti was working on the film under three separate regimes at WB, each of which had different visions for the movie and imposed different demands on him.

It wasn't Muschietti's idea for the film to have three different endings, or to cast Ezra Miller in the lead role. These were things foisted on him by the studio. Sure, he says he's happy with the theatrical cut. But didn't David Ayer say the same thing about the theatrical cut of Suicide Squad, only to later denounce it? Muschietti has to accept some of the blame for the way The Flash turned out, but not all of it. One thing he did contribute was the return of Michael Keaton, and for that I'm grateful.

I've seen all of Muschietti's feature films, and I can't say I loved any of them. I don't think he's a terrible director, but nor is he on the level of peak Burton, Schumacher, Nolan or Reeves. The studio acted precipitously in hiring him for The Brave and the Bold, but maybe they'll rethink that decision in light of The Flash's failure. Really, the studio should cancel that movie altogether and focus on The Batman II.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 21 Jun  2023, 03:19Bring on Dead Reckoning Part One.

Hell yes. 8)

Best shot of the cave, from a Batmobile POV!
https://streamable.com/lg4uua

The baby rescue scene made me uncomfortable and I found it in poor taste. I rarely feel like that but that's how I felt here. It's something being played for laughs but I didn't find it quirky or funny. It went on too long and I was wanting it to be over: showing all the variety of ways the babies were going to die, then Barry taking his time to have something to eat. Of all the ideas for an action scene they went with this?

Yeah, I didn't like that scene either. It was very awkward. To me, that's a joke that would work in something like The Boys, but it just doesn't work in The Flash.

I dunno, it was weird.

Considering some of the allegations against Miller, the baby sequence thing is... well, it's not a good look. Let's say that.