Batman Forever: Virtual Workprint

Started by I_Only_Said, Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 17:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 17:25 Last Edit: Mon, 12 May 2014, 14:04 by I_Only_Said
Download the full edit here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3aanvfx8vj19y8g/Batman+Forever+-+Virtual+Workprint. mp4

Alternate "vintage" version in slightly higher quality:
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/w5177zg6pwzs5ug/BF_Virtual_Workprint_(Vintage). mp4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, first time poster here. I just thought I'd share that I've been working on an extended cut of Batman Forever off and on for about a year now. I know there are a few other fan edits out there that incorporate the extra scenes from the DVD, but this one's a little different. The idea of this edit is to imagine what it may have been like to see an earlier, longer cut of the movie with as much extra footage included as possible. It includes all of the deleted material from the DVD + extra/alternate shots from the trailers, with some of the extra scenes just slightly re-edited to make them flow better since they obviously came from a very rough cut of the film. Extra special care has been taken with the editing to make sure the new material is integrated as seamlessly as possible, including completed sound design and score for all the extra bits. I utilized parts of Elliot Goldenthal's scores from Forever and Batman & Robin to complete the music, which is one of the main differences between this version and other fan edits (most of those had Danny Elfman's music laid under the extra scenes, which I never really thought fit). I also made some very minor adjustments to the original footage to reflect the kind of differences you'd find in an actual workprint. Anyways, just wanted to let you all know it's close to being finished and I hope to be able to share it with anyone interested once it's done.

PS

Here's a small sample of the work that's been done on the deleted opening.

Nice first post....welcome!

I like the pacing of the video, good job.

That was simply OUTSTANDING!

Welcome aboard, BTW.  8)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Thanks guys. I've tweaked the audio for the sequence a bit more since I uploaded that video, but you get the idea. I'll probably put up the scene where Bruce finds his father's journal in the cave soon so you can see how that has turned out.

Very nicely done.

I'm curious about what shots from the trailer you'll be incorporating.

Wed, 23 Feb 2011, 18:55 #5 Last Edit: Wed, 23 Feb 2011, 18:57 by I_Only_Said
Stuff from the trailers includes:

- An extra bit of dialogue from Edward Nygma's first meeting with Bruce Wayne ("Bruce Wayne... in the flesh!" followed by a shot of bruce looking slightly weirded out)

- Very brief extra shot of lights flying by in the tunnel as Bruce makes his descent from Wayne Enterprises to the Batcave. I tried to incorporate the extra line ("I've left Wayne Enterprises en route to the batcave") but it wasn't possible because I couldn't get the dialogue cleanly enough.

- An extra shot of Two-Face while his thugs unload their ammo into the elevator at the bank (actually from one of the music videos)

- Alternate angles of Batman as he swings down from the roof of the elevator, knocking down Two-Face's thugs

- Alternate shot of Batman discovering the guard in the bank vault

- Brief alternate angle of Batman as he fires a grappling hook into the bank wall

- The "If the bat wants to play, we'll play!" line from Two-Face in the chopper is included

- Alternate angle of the chopper crashing through the neon sign

- An extra shot of the Batmobile speeding down the street is added to the "Beauty and the Batman" scene from the DVD

- Two alternate angles of the Riddler during the destruction of the batcave sequence

- An alternate angle with Robin after he gives Two-Face a beating on Claw island

... I think that's all of 'em.  ;D

Well, it certainly sounds like an interesting project. Looking forward to seeing it.

I myself have played around with some Batman Forever edits but I've never gotten one anywhere near completion. Maybe one day I'll get around to at least completing a few scenes.

Yeah, it will be a refreshing touch to see a fan edit embrace and enhance Schumacher's vision instead of trying to Burtonise of Elfmanise it.

That was one of the reasons I wanted to do it. I think it might be the first edit that doesn't try to add any extra Burton-ish elements.

As of right now it's like, 96% done. Just a little more sound work is needed for some of the deleted stuff. Plus I've been doing some experimenting with color correction for the additional footage. Also, in an effort to make the transitions into the added scenes a little more seamless, I've added some filters to everything from the theatrical version to give it a rougher, slightly dirty look quality-wise. IMO it adds very nicely to the whole fake workprint feel as well.  ;)

A little update...

So, if anyone's wondering what's going on with this (which I'm sure is probably, like, two of you :D) I've run into a couple unfortunate snags. First my macbook went on the fritz, preventing me from further editing. Worse than that, a few days ago my cat knocked over the hard drive I've been saving everything on since I started. Sadly I can't check to see if anything has been damaged until my mac is up and running again. Hopefully I'll have that all sorted in the next couple weeks. If the project can't be recovered, I do have a couple small, lower quality versions of the edit in it's most recent state saved that I can upload. I was hoping to give you guys something much better image-wise, but it may be my only option depending on how the fall might've affected the files. Even if that's the case I still encourage anyone who was interested in checking it out, it's a great treat for any fan of the movie and lots of hard work was put into it.  :)