What are your issues with the DCEU Superman?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 20 Dec 2016, 03:32

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  2 Feb  2019, 02:42I'm not sure if the reason your post completely ignores my point is intentional or accidental.

The fact remains, however, that your post ignores my point. Finch is an example of someone who took issue with Superman over reasons that have precisely nothing to do with faked desert attacks. Address this point or else don't reply to this post.

Thanks.
I think I don't understand what you're talking about. I was talking about the reasons I think some people are against him. And how I think his actions in the terrorist situation by human law standards aren't that different from Batman's in regards to the human traffickers. I would say the movie doesn't depict Finch as criticizing Superman, so much as I think pointing out that I think he violated human international law. Either way I think if the movie is saying that she's more concerned with that than the fried people, I don't get that.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Sat,  2 Feb  2019, 06:42
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  2 Feb  2019, 02:42I'm not sure if the reason your post completely ignores my point is intentional or accidental.

The fact remains, however, that your post ignores my point. Finch is an example of someone who took issue with Superman over reasons that have precisely nothing to do with faked desert attacks. Address this point or else don't reply to this post.

Thanks.
I think I don't understand what you're talking about. I was talking about the reasons I think some people are against him. And how I think his actions in the terrorist situation by human law standards aren't that different from Batman's in regards to the human traffickers. I would say the movie doesn't depict Finch as criticizing Superman, so much as I think pointing out that I think he violated human international law. Either way I think if the movie is saying that she's more concerned with that than the fried people, I don't get that.
I'm not recapitulating this entire thread just to stop you from weaseling out of answer my point.

I'll simply enjoy your implied concession on this and move along.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Sat,  2 Feb  2019, 02:19
I think that doesn't change that there would be those who blame him. Superman did fight Zod in a situation he didn't have control of. And I think his search led Zod to earth.
Of course. What I'm saying, Dagen, is that some people are going to be blamed no matter what course of action they take. The fact you state his search led Zod to Earth confirms that.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  3 Feb  2019, 00:03Of course. What I'm saying, Dagen, is that some people are going to be blamed no matter what course of action they take. The fact you state his search led Zod to Earth confirms that.
I don't blame Clark for the destruction of metropolis, because I think his actions led to Zod finding earth. Isn't that what happened in the movie? But, while that may be the case in regards to some being blamed no matter what, the actions Clark take have consequences. Though in the movie, I think the main issue is (if what thecolorsblend says is true) about Clark I think breaking international law and/or him being framed for those people being burned.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Mon,  4 Feb  2019, 02:35
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  3 Feb  2019, 00:03Of course. What I'm saying, Dagen, is that some people are going to be blamed no matter what course of action they take. The fact you state his search led Zod to Earth confirms that.
I don't blame Clark for the destruction of metropolis, because I think his actions led to Zod finding earth. Isn't that what happened in the movie? But, while that may be the case in regards to some being blamed no matter what, the actions Clark take have consequences. Though in the movie, I think the main issue is (if what thecolorsblend says is true) about Clark I think breaking international law and/or him being framed for those people being burned.
You mischaracterize my argument. As with so many things you post, I can't be sure if it's done intentionally or not.

In any case, my point in the post which you cannibalized was that Batman encounters condemnation from others because of his objectively criminal behavior. Superman encounters condemnation from performing humanitarian acts. A significant amount of the criticism to which Superman is subjected in BVS is due to his errands of mercy, rescues and so forth. My example for this condemnation was Senator Finch... who, it should be noted, did not condemn Superman for "violating international law" but for acting outside the auspices of the United States government.

I went on to imply that the condemnation Batman experiences is well justified while the condemnation Superman experiences is not justified.

In the future, if you choose to paraphrase any of my posts, please do so accurately. I resent being misquoted and I resent even more my intended meaning being so heavily mangled.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  4 Feb  2019, 04:08You mischaracterize my argument. As with so many things you post, I can't be sure if it's done intentionally or not.

In any case, my point in the post which you cannibalized was that Batman encounters condemnation from others because of his objectively criminal behavior. Superman encounters condemnation from performing humanitarian acts. A significant amount of the criticism to which Superman is subjected in BVS is due to his errands of mercy, rescues and so forth. My example for this condemnation was Senator Finch... who, it should be noted, did not condemn Superman for "violating international law" but for acting outside the auspices of the United States government.

I went on to imply that the condemnation Batman experiences is well justified while the condemnation Superman experiences is not justified.

In the future, if you choose to paraphrase any of my posts, please do so accurately. I resent being misquoted and I resent even more my intended meaning being so heavily mangled.
I wasn't trying to belittle you for your argument. I'm sorry if I came off that way.

I don't necessarily agree that Batman's behavior is any more criminal than Superman's, if he did violate any kind of law. I don't think his rescues are really criticized. I think there's more or less concerns about Superman being there in general. I think that acting outside the auspices of the government could be argued to be violate that law. Isn't there a law for that? I maintain not really understanding the movie's issues then, if the concern is about Superman just going to another country over them thinking he's burned people.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Mon,  4 Feb  2019, 06:52
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  4 Feb  2019, 04:08You mischaracterize my argument. As with so many things you post, I can't be sure if it's done intentionally or not.

I wasn't trying to belittle you for your argument. I'm sorry if I came off that way.

I don't necessarily agree that Batman's behavior is any more criminal than Superman's, if he did violate any kind of law. I don't think his rescues are really criticized. I think there's more or less concerns about Superman being there in general. I think that acting outside the auspices of the government could be argued to be violate that law. Isn't there a law for that? I maintain not really understanding the movie's issues then, if the concern is about Superman just going to another country over them thinking he's burned people.
If offering aid to people outside your country is somehow against the law, we need to imprison just about every religious missionary, Amnesty International, Doctors Without Borders, the International Red Cross and probably zillions of other NGO's too.

In case I'm not being clear, no, it's not against the law.

Why this is a challenging idea for you, I have no idea. But it's not against the law.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  4 Feb  2019, 20:40If offering aid to people outside your country is somehow against the law, we need to imprison just about every religious missionary, Amnesty International, Doctors Without Borders, the International Red Cross and probably zillions of other NGO's too.

Why this is a challenging idea for you, I have no idea. But it's not against the law.
More than anything I think I'm trying to work out how the movie's conflict works now. I thought the movie positioned Finch as someone to root for in the story. I guess if I'm not supposed to, was that why we had that peach tea thing? I also wonder why that issue is a big deal for Clark.

I'm not sure myself, but wouldn't those people need permission to do those things on some levels? I still think that Superman doesn't have the right to pass judgement on Bruce.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Tue,  5 Feb  2019, 03:30
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  4 Feb  2019, 20:40If offering aid to people outside your country is somehow against the law, we need to imprison just about every religious missionary, Amnesty International, Doctors Without Borders, the International Red Cross and probably zillions of other NGO's too.

More than anything I think I'm trying to work out how the movie's conflict works now. I thought the movie positioned Finch as someone to root for in the story. I guess if I'm not supposed to, was that why we had that peach tea thing? I also wonder why that issue is a big deal for Clark.

I'm not sure myself, but wouldn't those people need permission to do those things on some levels? I still think that Superman doesn't have the right to pass judgement on Bruce.
Are you sure you've even seen BVS???

Tue, 5 Feb 2019, 05:30 #119 Last Edit: Tue, 5 Feb 2019, 05:33 by Dagenspear
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  5 Feb  2019, 03:51Are you sure you've even seen BVS???
Yes, and I didn't get the impression I was supposed to be anti-Finch.