What is Warner Bros doing?

Started by johnnygobbs, Wed, 16 Nov 2011, 20:50

Previous topic - Next topic
Any idea whether Warner Bros will do anything to celebrate Batman Returns' 20th Anniversary?  I'd love to see the release of a Blu-Ray plus commemerative book along the lines of their 20th Anniversary release for the first Batman.

I wonder if any of us could get in touch with WB to find out what of anything they're planning.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I honestly can't see WB celebrating BR in the same way as B89. The so called controversy and stigma around the movie, and the opinion that it isn't a classic in the same way as B89 would all swirl around as reasons for their inaction, I feel. I would sure like to be proven wrong, though.

Still a good seller though.  Last night I called into my local supermarket - Christmas Blu-rays out on display already - with Batman Returns in the middle of them! I didn't have my phone with me to take a photo  :-[

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Thu, 17 Nov  2011, 01:49
Still a good seller though.
This is true. I often see BR advertised in catalogues, as well as on the shelf.

Maybe they could do another retrospective centering around Keaton? Considering he wasn't involved at all with the 05 releases?  The Keaton tapes!

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 17 Nov  2011, 15:53
Maybe they could do another retrospective centering around Keaton? Considering he wasn't involved at all with the 05 releases?  The Keaton tapes!

I know I'd buy it!

Sideshow Toys getting on board with BR would please me. Fingers crossed they do.

I really think WB should put something in place, despite the stigma when it first came out, alot of people look at it differently after several years and it is still considered much better than what Schumacher gave us.

Quote from: Grissom on Mon, 12 Dec  2011, 15:15
I really think WB should put something in place, despite the stigma when it first came out, alot of people look at it differently after several years and it is still considered much better than what Schumacher gave us.

I think it's safe to say 22 years later it stood the test of time and really was one of the most influential films of all time; at that point after superman returns it was doubted if comic films could be a successful venture for the big screen especially since they needed a budget to work (as we saw the next year with Captain America). Batman dominated the 90's comic/superhero genre (come to think of it aside from Captain america, were there any superhero films without the cape crusader in the 90's?) What would the movie world be like without Batman 89? No dark knight for certain.

What would be really great is if WB were to do a 25th anniversary of Batman in 2014 and Batman Returns for 2017... each disc accompanied with a reunion of sorts (or a round-table kind of discussion) with Tim Burton, Michael Keaton, and the respective villains of each film.  I'd love to see Warners release some nice hardcover books to accompany the anniversary as well.   :)