1 (1.1%)
F
5 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: Fri, 24 Mar 2017, 16:03

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 27 Mar  2016, 11:07
Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 26 Mar  2016, 19:07
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 26 Mar  2016, 09:28
I wonder if there's any chance I can get my analysis/review over to Mr Affleck? I'd love for him to see how a fan enjoyed his performance, and the movie itself. I suppose we could tweet my feature, once completed, through to his account, and perhaps he'll come across it?

Go for it, bro.
Indeed. I want to cheer the guy up. I'm going to add a bunch of stuff and hope to have it done and dusted by this week. The title of my feature, by the way, is called 'Batman's new dawn'.

Original. ;)

Just playing, that sounds cool!

So far, I cover:

The initial doubting of Affleck's casting.
His 20 years worth of crime fighting experience.
His ferocity in combat.
His willingness to kill if required.
The bat voice.
The suit.
Comic influences.
The batcave and Batmobile.
Alfred and his new background.
The death of Robin, and Superman's affect on Bruce's mindset.
And a few other things, namely the future from here.

"Hey colors, is Catwoman with you?"
"I thought she was with you."

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 08:21

"Hey colors, is Catwoman with you?"
"I thought she was with you."

So after the opening weekend there are 58 votes. 32 are an A- or better. Another 12 votes in the B's. 44 out of 58. I'd say that's a positive endorsement and proof of what Henry and Amy said: this was made for fans, not for critics.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 26 Mar  2016, 10:03
The critics can go hang as far as I am concerned. They are dead to me, and mean nothing. I just hope the movie makes a tidy profit. It seems to be doing okay. It seems like B89 mixed with BR. The outrage over Affleck's initial casting ala Keaton in 1989, and the backlash of BR being 'too dark' and 'too weird'. Oh, how unappreciative people are of art that genuinely honours the material and the characters as a collective.
Oh? I've seen a fair amount of outrage over BvS, but oddly enough precisely zero relates to Affleck. The initial blowback of his casting has entirely evaporated from what I can tell. I've seen nobody discuss Affleck except in positive terms. I guess I would've thought Christian Bale's legacy would've put up a bigger fight but so far nobody seems to miss any of Affleck's predecessors. I certainly don't but I'm not sure I'm the guy to ask about that anyway.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 13:11
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 26 Mar  2016, 10:03
The critics can go hang as far as I am concerned. They are dead to me, and mean nothing. I just hope the movie makes a tidy profit. It seems to be doing okay. It seems like B89 mixed with BR. The outrage over Affleck's initial casting ala Keaton in 1989, and the backlash of BR being 'too dark' and 'too weird'. Oh, how unappreciative people are of art that genuinely honours the material and the characters as a collective.
Oh? I've seen a fair amount of outrage over BvS, but oddly enough precisely zero relates to Affleck. The initial blowback of his casting has entirely evaporated from what I can tell. I've seen nobody discuss Affleck except in positive terms. I guess I would've thought Christian Bale's legacy would've put up a bigger fight but so far nobody seems to miss any of Affleck's predecessors. I certainly don't but I'm not sure I'm the guy to ask about that anyway.

I think he means when it was first announced. There was a TON of backlash. I think I swore off the movie here and called him "Aflaaaaaac" in the vein of a corporate spokesduck lol. He proved me wayyyy wrong though.

For those of you wondering, the average rating after 60 votes is between a B and a B+. I voted an A-

I agree the critics can stick it where the sun don't shine especially the ones who prefer the pretentious Nolan borefest over this. Oh boo hoo the characters don't spend the entire film pondering life, we actually got some decent acting. For the first time in 20 years we get a batman who can speak coherently and well shot fight scenes.
I thought the Eisenberg Luthor was odd in the beginning but came together quite a bit in the end.
For the first time in 20 year we got a coherent bat voice and properly shot fight scenes.

I have no doubt the Nolan fans will hate it; for one thing their savior is not involved but it also fixed everything he got wrong; a proper batcave, Batman actually showing his detective skills (something Nolan talked about doing but never did), voice masking, Batman driving actual bat vehicles, the lack of monologues, well shot fight scenes.

Affleck passes with flying colours for me. I hope he's not scared away by the critics. I'm not sure if he's better than Keaton but he's on par.

Quote from: riddler on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 14:28
Affleck passes with flying colours for me. I hope he's not scared away by the critics. I'm not sure if he's better than Keaton but he's on par.
In many ways, I think he's the continuation of Keaton's Batman, or what Burton would be doing with the character these days.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 23:58In many ways, I think he's the continuation of Keaton's Batman, or what Burton would be doing with the character these days.
In what sense?  :)

I'm not disagreeing with you, as long as you don't argue that Eisenberg's Luthor is akin to what Burton would have done.  Burton has always shown affinity with outsiders and oddballs.  He wouldn't demonise them.  IMHO Burton would have made Lex Luthor more like Max Shreck (who in many ways is loosely based on the traditional Luthor).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 29 Mar  2016, 01:07
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 23:58In many ways, I think he's the continuation of Keaton's Batman, or what Burton would be doing with the character these days.
In what sense?  :)

I'm not disagreeing with you, as long as you don't argue that Eisenberg's Luthor is akin to what Burton would have done.  Burton has always shown affinity with outsiders and oddballs.  He wouldn't demonise them.  IMHO Burton would have made Lex Luthor more like Max Shreck (who in many ways is loosely based on the traditional Luthor).
What part of him invoking Keaton, Batman and Burton makes you think he was referring to Eisenberg or Lex Luthor?