Affleck Co-Writing and Directing Standalone Batman Film

Started by BatmAngelus, Thu, 9 Jul 2015, 23:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 10 Jul  2015, 19:40
I'm surprised at all the fandom for the Arkham games here.  They're so gloomy and drab.  I'd much rather the Affleck films took their inspiration from the smart, colourful and imaginative Batman: The Animated Series.

Then again, in view of the relentless doom and gloom we got in 'Man of Steel' I suppose it is more likely that the new films will resemble the glum, lurid Arkham games.  ::)

Arkham Origins is visually drab, but I don't see how you could say the same thing about the other three games. Yeah, they may be bleak from a storytelling point of view, but they capture the essence of Batman and his villains (except for Penguin). Hell, I reckon it's a bit rich for some people to complain about how glum Man of Steel was despite how they happily accepted the equally gloomy yet nihilistic and hypocritical rubbish that Nolan created.

For what it's worth, I'd too wish they take more cues from that show and adapt to live action, but I don't think it's going to happen. There haven't been any DC live action film to date that have taken much inspiration from BTAS, as sad as it is. The close we got was the Burton films, but they were an inspiration for that show, and there are only snippets of inspiration from Schumacher e.g. Mr. Freeze creating a toy Cinderella while in Arkham Asylum.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 10 Jul  2015, 19:40
I'm surprised at all the fandom for the Arkham games here.  They're so gloomy and drab.  I'd much rather the Affleck films took their inspiration from the smart, colourful and imaginative Batman: The Animated Series.

Then again, in view of the relentless doom and gloom we got in 'Man of Steel' I suppose it is more likely that the new films will resemble the glum, lurid Arkham games.  ::)
I like the Arkhamverse and its aesthetic. Particularly AK's Gotham. It's like a mix of B89 and BF, with rain lashing down all the time. I agree the muted colour scheme doesn't suit Superman, but for Batman, it's not a problem for me.

There is no one depiction of Batman, which really makes me excited to see what new direction they'll go in.

'Major Announcement' At NYCC According To BATMAN Executive Producer

by George Marston, Newsarama ContributorDate: 28 September 2015 Time: 04:03 PM ET

Michael Uslan has been the executive producer of every Batman film since Tim Burton's groundbreaking 1989 blockbuster. Now, as he works on Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the man behind the Bat has teased a "major announcement" coming at New York Comic Con next week.

"On Saturday October 10 we plan on making a major announcement. Stay tuned," Uslan told the Fan Theory podcast. "Join us at 1:45 p.m. in one of the large rooms. You won't want to miss what's going to take place there."

Exactly which panel he's referencing isn't clear - there aren't many options that would fit with an announcement from Uslan running at that time. Most likely, the panel he's referring to is "Batman: The Bat Universe," which takes place starting on Saturday, October 10, on the Empire Stage of the Javits Center.

Also in question is the exact nature of Uslan's announcement; he is involved with not only Batman v Superman, but also several other DC projects including, potentially, unnannounced movies. Maybe it'll tie back to those rumors about Geoff Johns and Ben Affleck collaborating on a Batman film from all the way back at Comic-Con International: San Diego.

New York Comic Con runs from October 8-11 2015 at the Javits Center in New York City. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice hits theaters March 25, 2016.

Source: http://www.newsarama.com/26075-major-announcement-at-nycc-according-to-batman-executive-producer.html

I'd imagine it would be a confirmation of another solo Batman...unless it's another team-up movie with another hero (which I find it highly unlikely).
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'm a big believer you don't put the cart before the horse until you have a consensus from the public. Ask Warner Bros. about Batman Triumphant.

It's a good thing Marvel didn't have that attitude or else we'd only just be getting the first Avengers film.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 29 Sep  2015, 10:37
'Major Announcement' At NYCC According To BATMAN Executive Producer

Well it looks like that turned out to be nothing more than empty speculation.  ::)

As a matter of fact, it's not guaranteed that Affleck will direct the next solo Batman film after all.

"It's a very exciting idea," says Ben Affleck on the possibility of directing a Batman movie for Warner Bros...

There's been no shortage of speculation that Ben Affleck's foray into the DC Comics movie universe could culminate in the Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice star directing himself in a standalone Batman movie, as he has with the multi-award-winning cinematic efforts Argo and The Town.

"Look, if I could make it work, yeah," he has now told Total Film, adding fuel to this particular rumour fire. This does, however, make previous reports that Affleck was definitely on board to direct and co-write the next Batman movie look a little premature.

"Obviously that would be like a dream," he added. "The trick is, as to any movie, is to make sure that you – if you're going to direct it – that you can make it good. You've got to have the right idea and the right take on it [...] Broadly speaking, it's something I'd be open to, for sure. It's a very exciting idea."

Producer Charles Roven weighed in on this topic, too, mentioning that "[Affleck is] about to start a movie now, and he's also got obligations to be in the Justice League movies. The calendar is a little bit tricky."

"Of course, the script obviously has to be worthy of him wanting to direct it. And once that happens, it's still got to fit into the calendar. We're hoping we can make it happen. We're just at the beginning of the question," Roven continued.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-batman/37493/batman-ben-affleck-open-to-directing-new-movie#ixzz3pftA5SQC

I'm glad that turned out to be a rumor. I think if history is any indication, Batman is a property that has to be assessed one movie at a time. Especially when you're turning the steering wheel over to a new director with a new vision. I don't consider BVS an automatic slam dunk by any stretch. It has a video game look and narrative to it. I'm hoping that's just flaws in the trailers and not the movie itself. Time will tell.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Wed, 28 Oct  2015, 00:32
I don't consider BVS an automatic slam dunk by any stretch. It has a video game look and narrative to it.

This is a little beside the point that concerns the movie, but I don't necessarily think having a video game look and a narrative feel is a bad thing at all. The plot in the Arkham games are some of the best Batman stories in the whole franchise.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Wed, 28 Oct  2015, 00:32I'm glad that turned out to be a rumor. I think if history is any indication, Batman is a property that has to be assessed one movie at a time.
I don't think history speaks conclusively to that one way or the other.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Wed, 28 Oct  2015, 00:32Especially when you're turning the steering wheel over to a new director with a new vision.
Ibid.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Wed, 28 Oct  2015, 00:32I don't consider BVS an automatic slam dunk by any stretch.
It's a pairing between Superman (whom audiences responded well to in MOS) with Batman (whom audiences have mostly responded well to since 1989). If there's such a thing as a sure thing, BvS is it.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Wed, 28 Oct  2015, 00:32It has a video game look and narrative to it.
I can't speak to narrative (nor do I think can you) but the visual component... well (A) trailers is trailers and trailers are rarely fully produced and (B) notwithstanding I'm coming to understand that what I consider shaky, uneven and rather cheesy CGI is what attracts wide audiences to CGI effects. They want to know that what they're looking at is CGI for some reason. Or so most Hollywood films would lead me to conclude as there are instances aplenty where perfectly serviceable practical effects have been replaced with rather gaudy CGI in recent years.

I rather appreciate the eye candy philosophy of some CGI but I don't think it's always appropriate for everything.