The Dark Knight Theatrical memories

Started by Grissom, Sat, 7 Jul 2018, 17:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 21 Jul  2018, 19:52
Same here. If the plan was for him to survive the entire movie, then perhaps Nolan had originally intended for him to return alongside Ledger's Joker in the third film.
I think it was probably a mix of two things.

1. Pacing and runtime.
2. His role was going to factor into a third film in some important way.

I have no idea how he could've been so important, though. The cut dialogue must have been fairly obvious it was leading somewhere, so they ended the character's arc before then. A bitter recurring rival of some sort?

Interesting points. And there were a lot of moving elements to dispense with in the last quarter of the movie, now that I think about it. The dirty cops, Lau, the Chechen, Maroni and so forth. Maybe Nolan decided that goings on with Gambol was one item too many for an already crowded movie?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 22 Jul  2018, 00:30
And there were a lot of moving elements to dispense with in the last quarter of the movie, now that I think about it. The dirty cops, Lau, the Chechen, Maroni and so forth. Maybe Nolan decided that goings on with Gambol was one item too many for an already crowded movie?
It's probably as simple as this. The recurring character speculation is mainly coming from the Gambol actor. It probably doesn't have any merit because they're his own speculations. But indeed, I'd like to hear factually from him about exactly what he filmed. When he says he didn't film a death scene, is he implying it wasn't his body slumping away from Joker in the sequence that became his death scene? Y'know? 

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat,  7 Jul  2018, 18:12
I went with some friends the first Saturday it was open. Our group unanimously thought it was the best thing ever as we left the theater. A couple things stand out for me. When Bruce and Lucius are discussing the new batsuit and Lucius says something like "It'll do great against a cat," everyone in our group looked straight at me. I did Selina's "Meow" and we all started giggling. Got shushed, but it was worth it.

The second thing and idk why I remember this (or how I remember it cause this was during one of my...um...yeah times in my life) is that Dominos Pizza was doing a promo with the movie. The pizza boxes were black and they came with a prop Gotham City newspaper. We got a couple pizzas on our way home and a newspaper for each of us and we sat around talking about the movie and eating pizza.

Haha! Cool story, and I remember those pizza boxes as well. I don't recall if I became aware of Dominos doing cross promotion with the TDK movie via commercial, or by a sales ad (I kinda want to go with the latter for some reason), but I do remember specifically ordering one a week or so after the movie came out.

Personally, my theatrical memories of The Dark Knight aren't all that great (unlike Batman Begins & The Dark Knight Rises). I recall working graveyard shift the Thursday night/Friday morning it would have had a midnight showing, so I missed that. Then I ended up staying up that morning following work to go to a 11am showing, which was sold out. Next showing was like 12pm or 12:30pm, and I was determined to see it, so that's the one I went to. Unfortunately, I didn't get to talk/discuss the movie much at all with my friends when we were exiting the theater, due to it being 3 or 3:30 in the afternoon (atleast), and I had to work that night as well. So yeah, I rushed home and basically forced myself to go to sleep so I could get up and go to work that night. Yay.

I want to say I read the novelization the same week after seeing the movie, and thought it was decent. The chapter devoted to the Scarecrow going over what happened to him directly after Batman Begins, and everything leading up to his capture in The Dark Knight sticks out the most for some reason.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 16 Feb  2019, 15:06I want to say I read the novelization the same week after seeing the movie, and thought it was decent. The chapter devoted to the Scarecrow going over what happened to him directly after Batman Begins, and everything leading up to his capture in The Dark Knight sticks out the most for some reason.

I never read that book. Does it reference Scarecrow's activities in the Gotham Knight animated movie, or does it describe something totally different?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 21 Feb  2019, 22:25
Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 16 Feb  2019, 15:06I want to say I read the novelization the same week after seeing the movie, and thought it was decent. The chapter devoted to the Scarecrow going over what happened to him directly after Batman Begins, and everything leading up to his capture in The Dark Knight sticks out the most for some reason.

I never read that book. Does it reference Scarecrow's activities in the Gotham Knight animated movie, or does it describe something totally different?

Totally different.

From what I remember, the Scarecrow chapter starts the very next morning following Batman Begins, with the Scarecrow waking up in some junk yard/trash heap, not remembering how he got there. And then it moves forward with his schemes in going Breaking Bad for Gotham's underworld, and adding his fear toxin for his own pleasure/amusement. The narrative follows the GNN viral network news preceding TDK that had a few Scarecrow reports than it does the Gotham Knight animated movie.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

This makes me wonder if Gotham Knight was ever intended to be canonical in the first place. The TDK novelisation and GCN reports were clearly in synch with what the filmmakers were planning, but in retrospect the Gotham Knight movie feels more like an alternate sequel to Batman Begins. It's as if the Nolanverse branched off in two different directions after BB; one progressing along the more fantastical trajectory of BB, while the other headed down a more grounded path.

With The Animatrix (which was awesome, btw), there was never any question of its canonicity. It featured actors from the movies and filled in gaps in the mythology that were later referenced in the live action sequels. But Gotham Knight might as well be part of the Burtonverse for all its connectivity with the Nolan films. The Burton Batmobile even appears in the 'Working Through Pain' segment.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 23 Feb  2019, 23:41
This makes me wonder if Gotham Knight was ever intended to be canonical in the first place.
I don't consider it to be. I'm happy enough with the Nolan trilogy being just the three films. Batman would've been fighting crime between BB and TDK, but in my mind it would've just been drug dealers, gun runners and these types of criminals. The big villains are seen in the films, and after TDK Bruce is chilling inside Wayne Manor for the majority of time. I'm not sure what else there is to show via extended universe during the events of the trilogy.

I remember that part of the big push behind GK at the time it came out was "omg, THIS IS CANON!" but while the shorts can be made to work with BB by itself (kind of... but not really), there's no incorporating GK as a precursor to TDK. Just isn't possible.

But honestly, even at the time I was skeptical of the canonicity of GK. So in the end, I guess I regard GK as its own peculiar thing but ultimately it has nothing to do with the Nolanverse.