What happened to the people at the museum?

Started by JokerMeThis, Sun, 22 Mar 2015, 02:28

Previous topic - Next topic
I used to assume that Joker gassed all of those people to death at the museum. If so, that is just so dark and sick. But some people claim he used knock out gas because he didn't want to end up killing Vicki in case she didn't get the mask on in time. If that's the case it's a little disappointing because I had always thought they died. If it wasn't that dark then I'm kind of disillusioned. I mean, it's make believe so what does it matter?

What do people think? Did those people die? Or did they wake up later?

Given that some of the customers fainted with their eyes open as their faces collapse on top of their deserts, I think it's safe to say that survival is very unlikely.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Everyone died. If Vicki didn't wear the mask, she would've too.

Nicholson has a big body count in the movie.

If Joker wanted to kill them though why didn't he use Smilex? I don't believe any of those people looked like they were smiling when they died. I didn't hear any laughter either.

I used to think they were just knocked out, but if it was just knock-out gas, why did he have to send Vicki the mask? She would've fainted and the Joker's goons could've taken her. It's more likely that it was deadly.

Knock out gas wouldn't have been "creating art until someone dies." Not a very good introduction for his monologue to Vicki lol

Has anyone read the novelization of Batman '89? Maybe it has something to say.

It's not from the novelization, but if it helps:

QuoteThis was the location where the Joker arranged a meeting with Vicki Vale and also saw the first encounter between Batman and the newly 'reborn' Joker. The Joker caused the deaths of many innocent people there and did serious damage to the paintings.

Source: http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Flugelheim_Museum
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The novelisation doesn't confirm or deny. It just states Vicki hopes the people are only unconscious.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 22 Mar  2015, 12:16
The novelisation doesn't confirm or deny. It just states Vicki hopes the people are only unconscious.
Bearing in my mind how callous The Joker is I don't see why he'd use 'non lethal' gas to knock out the other patrons.  Even if he did surely some of the people sustained life-threatening injuries as a result of falling unconscious.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.