Seven reasons Batman Returns is the best Batman movie

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 8 Jun 2015, 17:10

Previous topic - Next topic

First of all, everyone has father issues (hey, Tim Burton, get in line). But the movie soon reveals itself to be Catwoman's story, as we watch her deal with the effects of the misogyny that permeate every aspect of her life. At one point, Catwoman even lists all the men who have tried to kill her, which even/especially now feels like an effective indictment of an entertainment medium that mostly uses women as pawns in the stories of the male pro/antagonists.

That is great insight there.  :)

You know who's the least compelling Batman character? Batman. He's just kind of a dud, and also represents a growing problem with American law enforcement — the rise of super police presuming everyone is guilty (hello, stop and frisk!) But Batman is barely in Batman Returns, and when he does appear onscreen, he's either a) beating up scary clowns, or b) getting stabbed in the stomach with fish hooks claws by Catwoman. Win WIN!

I'm not quite sold on this point, but it's definitely true that Batman does kick ass when he has the chance.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  9 Jun  2015, 10:08

You know who's the least compelling Batman character? Batman. He's just kind of a dud, and also represents a growing problem with American law enforcement — the rise of super police presuming everyone is guilty (hello, stop and frisk!) But Batman is barely in Batman Returns, and when he does appear onscreen, he's either a) beating up scary clowns, or b) getting stabbed in the stomach with fish hooks claws by Catwoman. Win WIN!

I'm not quite sold on this point, but it's definitely true that Batman does kick ass when he has the chance.

And gets stabbed with fish hooks ;)

Yea I don't really buy that part that Batsy is least compelling (saying I agreed with it was supposed to be a cutesy all reaching comment). In the end isn't he the main reason any of us are here? I'm a Gotham Girl at heart but I started my love by watching Batsy kick some ass and give me all those lessons I never used in reruns of the 60s show. In this movie it's fun that he's in the shadows a lot and you can see how the whole shebang is forming on the villains side which IS more compelling than watching Batsy on a five hour stakeout or something.

"...car.....*gets batarang*.....little old lady driving.....poodle in passenger seat....not that poodle....it's clear.....truck....almost certainly taking contraband weapons to South American thugs at the dock......or he can stop in front of the orphanage and unload a bunch of toys, that works too......*fart*...getting sleepy....Alfred, sing me the song.....yes that one, I'm falling asleep....*hums*....Alfred, what was Final Jeopardy tonight?....and he missed it?....ridiculous.....another truck....no Alfred, not 'what the f***', I said 'another truck'.....delivering meals to the homeless shelter....well it COULD have been a drug shipment....oh okay Alfred, next time I'll let you come out and sit here on this damn rooftop for five hours and see how much crime you bust.....senile old man.....yes I know I still have the intercom engaged...........okay I'm packing it in"

lol