89 redux?

Started by Paul (ral), Fri, 18 Jan 2008, 10:07

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm not sure what redux means but anyway...
I love batman89, it is very stylistic and has some iconic shots, so i'm not bashing one single frame of it but....

what shots, if any from Batman89 would you do differently given the chance? Why do you think it would work better? Or do you think Burton did it fine his way?

I will start.
After Batman escapes from Axis' rooftop, we see Napier's cards float to the surface and the Joker's hand emerge.

Me: I would have filmed Napier bursting up out of the surface gasping for air and crawling to the water's edge exhausted (like in the Killing Joke), but with the Joker's face and most of his body obscured the whole time.

Burton: I think Tim did it better. Having the hand just emerge gives the Joker a more unhuman essence and makes him more terrifying. We get the point. Plus it looks cooler.

I think showing him coming out of the water might reveal a little too much about his health state. Burton set it up to remain more mysterious until the Joker is at full swing laughing like a maniac.

What I would change for an High-Def release of the movie:

Update the matte lines and the special effects in general.
There are some shots that would greatly benefit from a make-over.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that should have been handled differntly.
It's mainly the aging of the movie that is starting to show.

Asked me this a few months ago and I would've given you a big list of stuff to change. But now I've come full circle to respecting this film. It's a great thing when you actually have to stop for a while and put effort in searching for something you'd change!

Have Batman's zipline take him up faster when escaping Axis Chemicals.  :P
The B89 photos you refer to will soon be back in our hands.

Quote from: Batman on Fri, 18 Jan  2008, 15:21
I think showing him coming out of the water might reveal a little too much about his health state. Burton set it up to remain more mysterious until the Joker is at full swing laughing like a maniac.

What I would change for an High-Def release of the movie:

Update the matte lines and the special effects in general.
There are some shots that would greatly benefit from a make-over.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that should have been handled differntly.
It's mainly the aging of the movie that is starting to show.

Agreed. Just throw some money into brushing off the seams, so to speak.

I think I would cringe if a Redux happened.lol

I wouldnt want to change anything in eitther of them except for just cleaning them up and such.

I don't mean "what should be changed".

I mean pretend Tim Burton was off sick for a couple of days during filming of Batman and you had to cover for him.  What would you have shot differently?

I would have been Batman. lol :D

I would've put more Prince in.

But not really.

A lot of that is already in the script though, so when you were shooting, you'd still have to follow the storyline of Vicki in the cave, etc.

Well going by what Raleagh said last time, I'm not sure Burton would approve of defacing Sam Hamm's work when he got back from being sick.

Lol.  :P