The alley fight scene

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 20 Feb 2023, 12:16

Previous topic - Next topic
I love the action in the alley fight scene. But one strange instance that always got my curiosity was right after Vicki took a picture from above, where you can see Bob the Goon and co had removed Batman's cowl to the point you could see his face. I kinda got the impression Vicki came to Batman's rescue right on time, because if she was a split second late then the Joker goons would've compromised Batman's identity.

Nothing else to add, other than I just love the grit and grime of that whole set, it's a worthy location for a fight scene. After the warehouse scene in BvS, it is still my favourite action scene in the entire Batman film history.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I think the original scripted scene called for Batman to fight it out with the goons in the alley maskless. Vicki was snapping pictures the whole time and it only would've made sense that at least one of the pictures would've showed Batman's face. Hence the need to take the film away from her.

I assume that changed in reshoots or something.

Yeah, the 1986 draft proved your memory right. I remember reading this script years ago, and I forgot the goons didn't even know who Bruce Wayne was. That scene would've made sense due to Bruce's lack of public persona in the film, but watching Batman fight unmasked would've lacked thrills.

EXT. ROOFTOP - ON VICKI

Five stories overhead, VICKI has pulled herself up onto the
     roof of the adjacent building. She watches transfixed as
     the THUGS bend over to remove BATMAN's cowl. But at this
     height -- and this angle -- she can't see his face. On a
     sudden impulse she reaches for her CAMERA BAG.

ANGLE ON GOONS

peering-down open-mouthed at the unconscious face of BRUCE
     WAYNE. Blood seeps from BRUCE's left nostril.

GOON I
               Well?... Who is this guy?

GOON II
               I dunno. You seen him before?

GOON III
               Maybe he's got some kind of I.D.

GOON IV
               Good idea. Let's check his wallet.

GOON I
               We'll worry about it later. Plug
               him.
                        (beat)
               In the head.

GOON II draws his automatic. And at that very instant... A
     FLASH GUN EXPLODES OVERHEAD.

Startled, the THUGS look up. ANOTHER CAMERA FLASH.

GOON III
               Goddam, it's the redhead!

ON VICKI

A chunk of ledge chips off mere inches from her head as the
     GOONS OPEN FIRE. She ducks back behind the overhang, holds
     the camera out over the ledge, and KEEPS ON FLASHING.

ON BRUCE

HIS EYES WINK OPEN.

ON VICKI

momentarily idle. She's used up her roll. The GOONS KEEP
     SHOOTING as she reaches in her bag for new film. She finds
     it, loads the camera with astonishing dexterity -- and
     then, on instinct, reaches back inside the bag for a
     TELEPHOTO LENS. All the better to see you with, Batman...

ON THE THUGS

No response from VICKI. They begin to relax a little.

GOON II
               Did you hit her?

GOON I
               Who cares? Wax that freak.

They turn their attention to BRUCE. A GLOVED HAND snakes
     out with lightning speed -- GRABBING GOON I BY THE COATTAIL
     and pulling him DIRECTLY INTO THE LINE OF FIRE. GOON II bas
     pulled the trigger twice before he knows what's happened.

In one fluid motion BRUCE HEAVES GOON I's lifeless body
     THROUGH THE AIR, knocking GOON II backward over a garbage
     can. GOON II falls and CRACKS HIS HEAD on the nearest wall.

GOON III takes a rabbit punch to the throat. He's on the
     way down when he catches a STEEL-TOED BOOT in the gut.

Four seconds after all this began, BRUCE is alone in the
     alleyway with GOON IV. GOON IV has his gun pointed right at
     BRUCE, but he's shaking too much to pull the trigger.

BRUCE smiles. GOON IV SCREAMS and RUNS FOR HIS LIFE.

Through all this, VICKI's telephoto camera has been poised
     on the ledge, snapping away. BRUCE looks up at the FLASH
     GUN and shakes his head. He bends to retrieve his cowl.
     ON VICKI

She finally dares to peek down at the alley. Limp goons
     everywhere. And, in addition, THE BATMAN -- leaping up,
     grabbing the edge of a fire escape, climbing up to meet
     her.

VICKI thinks fast. She may have a clean shot of BATMAN'S
     FACE. She advances the film in the camera and removes the
     roll, then drops it down her blouse.

But BATMAN is likely to want that roll. So she straightens
     her skirt and scurries across the roof, away from the
     alley. She should have a minute or so before be gets there.

It's a three-foot drop to the next roof over. VICKI
     clambers down and quickens her pace, tossing a nervous
     glance over her shoulder every couple of steps.

Then, somehow -- and she'll be damned if she can figure out
     how -- she walks smack into THE BATMAN. And GASPS.

BATMAN
               ... Not even a 'thank you'?

VICKI
               Well -- I think you might consider
               thanking me. You were good as
               dead.

BATMAN
               That's because you lied about your
               weight.
                     (a long pause)
               Thank you.

VICKI NODS and tries to walk past him. He grabs her arm.

BATMAN (cont.)
               I'll have to ask you for that film.

VICKI
               I just wanted to distract them. I
               wasn't trying to get a picture of
               you.

BATMAN looks down at the camera hanging from her neck. The
     telephoto lens must jut out six inches. VICKI gulps.

BATMAN
               Please.

VICKI
               I won't let you have it.

https://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/batman_early.html
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

As a child, I distinctly remember being dazzled by the alley fight scene between Batman and the Swordsman Joker Goon, and then very amused just how abruptly Batman ended it.

Sure, there's a "Raiders of the Lost Ark" influence going on with this, but I personally did not see "Raiders" until much later following "Batman". So, the setting up of what looks like is going to be a epic fight, and then it just abruptly concludes like that, was all fresh in my eyes.

Course, to me, having Bob the Goon witnessing this, and subsequently thinking better of it by high tailing it right out of there following Batman clearly wanting him to step up next, is like the cherry on top in closing out any threats in the alley fight scene.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 21 Feb  2023, 14:18

As a child, I distinctly remember being dazzled by the alley fight scene between Batman and the Swordsman Joker Goon, and then very amused just how abruptly Batman ended it.

Sure, there's a "Raiders of the Lost Ark" influence going on with this, but I personally did not see "Raiders" until much later following "Batman". So, the setting up of what looks like is going to be a epic fight, and then it just abruptly concludes like that, was all fresh in my eyes.

Course, to me, having Bob the Goon witnessing this, and subsequently thinking better of it by high tailing it right out of there following Batman clearly wanting him to step up next, is like the cherry on top in closing out any threats in the alley fight scene.

I never understood the Raiders comparison. The joke in Raiders is that Indiana Jones takes out the swordsman immediately without engaging with him at all. In this film Batman actually does tussle with the thug a bit before taking him down. A closer example to Raiders would be at the Nygmatech party fight in Batman Forever. One goon takes a stance against Batman and Batman kicks him ending the fight before it even started.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Tue, 21 Feb  2023, 20:07
I never understood the Raiders comparison. The joke in Raiders is that Indiana Jones takes out the swordsman immediately without engaging with him at all. In this film Batman actually does tussle with the thug a bit before taking him down. A closer example to Raiders would be at the Nygmatech party fight in Batman Forever. One goon takes a stance against Batman and Batman kicks him ending the fight before it even started.

To me, it's all in the set up, and how the confrontation just abruptly concludes. Which, as a viewer, is not what one is expecting due to how the scene in constructed. I can see how that scene you described from BF could be construed as Indy influenced as well, though I've theorized ever since 1995 ( thanks to the BF novelization, Comic Adaptation, and the official BF souvenir magazine) that it might have been yet another call back to Burton? Given what we know about the original BF cut vs the theatrical cut.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 21 Feb  2023, 14:18

I would never replace that ninja swordsman moment, but I wouldn't mind seeing that deleted scene of Bob the Goon fighting Batman just out of curiosity. I remember I had some of those Topps trading cards as a kid and that card with Bob and Batman always confused me. I forgot all about it until I watched the behind-the-scenes footage in one of those "making of" documentaries years later. To date, this is the only surviving footage we have.

I guess the full footage must've been either lost, or this was simply rehearsed, and Burton and the producers thought it lacked excitement and replaced the fight with the ninja swordsman.