Discussing Deleted Scenes

Started by Gotham Knight, Tue, 24 Nov 2020, 17:03

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 21 Nov  2023, 15:25Thanks for posting that. Always cool to see different footage!

I'm assuming this is some sort of work print of B89 someone obtained, or recently digitized... Using a more instrumental version of Prince's "Scandalous" for this scene, kinda makes me think of Tony Scott's "Top Gun", where a instrumental version of "Take my Breath Away" can be heard during scenes.
Yeah that's exactly why I'm glad it was ultimately axed. Out of all the uses of Prince's music in the film this one feels the most of the era.

It's interesting that Scandalous doesn't appear in Elfman's score until after this scene. So I wonder if it was supposed to be set up here and then paid off orchestrally as the movie went on.

It never occurred to me the chime at the start of Scandalous is meant to be a doorbell ringing. Now I know.

The only other alternate scene I could find was this other take of the "I'm Batman" scene. This was shown in the original behind-the-scenes documentary.

https://youtu.be/ixcCu_8B17U?si=1bdG1X8g4-9U-N-5
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Looks like the same take as in the film but with production audio rather than post-production audio.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Tue, 21 Nov  2023, 14:29
I have no idea how this was acquired, but here's an alternate take on the scene in Vicki's apartment using Prince's scandalous. There's a couple snippets of Basinger and Keaton that aren't in the final film.
I still prefer the silence of the final film's version of the scene, but this works better than expected as a mood piece. It gives a real 1980s ambience and I have to say it would be interesting to see the whole film given this treatment.

When I consider all the Bruce Wayne scenes from the movies I'm struggling to think of anything better than this. I like the way it has Bruce cycling through a variety of emotions and has him directly acknowledging the fact he and his lifestyle would not be considered normal by the majority of people.

He's vulnerable because he's trying to reconcile with a woman he hurt, and he has the intent to reveal his secret identity weighing on his mind. That quickly transforms into aggression with his push down and "shut up". Taking off the jacket and trying to explain himself is simultaneously dominant and awkward. As Joker arrives he becomes a serious quick thinker, and finally a wild man lashing out.

I believe this is how Batman would behave out of his suit. Nervous energy because he's not wearing his real skin (the costume), giving off a strange vibe that makes the man elusive and ultimately lonely.