What's your favourite "iconic" moment?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sun, 3 May 2015, 13:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Looks better in motion, admittedly. But still a very powerful image for me.

I think this is the single greatest shot of Batman in any media.

But, come on, the best moment is from another movie:

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed, 29 Jun  2022, 19:53

Batman works best for me when he's treated operatically. It's difficult to depict as well, because it really can come off as a man who just happens to be wearing a batsuit. He has to be elevated above humanity through lighting, mannerisms and score.  I'm reading The Phantom of the Opera again now, and while Erik's not a direct translation there's a similar spirit. A human who is thought to be a ghost, has an underground lair and communicates through letters. Batman shares the traits of villains while not succumbing to their evil. Burton and Elfman really tapped in to that.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 30 Jun  2022, 00:08
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed, 29 Jun  2022, 19:53

Batman works best for me when he's treated operatically. It's difficult to depict as well, because it really can come off as a man who just happens to be wearing a batsuit. He has to be elevated above humanity through lighting, mannerisms and score.  I'm reading The Phantom of the Opera again now, and while Erik's not a direct translation there's a similar spirit. A human who is thought to be a ghost, has an underground lair and communicates through letters. Batman shares the traits of villains while not succumbing to their evil. Burton and Elfman really tapped in to that.
I think Batman is also effective when his ways and means are left vague and unexplained. The bit above where Batman swoops in is a good example. Is his cape serving as a makeshift glider? Does he have a zip line attached to his belt? Could be anything.

That's one aspect of Batman where I think Nolan sort of missed the boat, honestly. After a fashion, I enjoy Nolan's movies. But he tried too hard to explain too much.

I mean, Superman works well with defined parameters and established limits. Because his vast powers sort of demand that.

But Batman has human limitations. So, I rather enjoy when Batman is shown circumventing human limitations through unknown means.

Begins made an important point about making yourself more than just a man. It's about being a terrible thought, and such a reputation can't come exclusively from bashing criminals. I think it goes back to a childhood fear of the dark. Anticipation creates uncertainty and a loss of control. Such as what the Arkham games depicted - goons have hammering heartbeats before they even encounter Batman because he's picking off their crew unseen. They know he's a man, but the tactics and abilities make him pretty much supernatural anyway. Scared is scared.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sun,  7 Jun  2015, 23:46
Bruce visiting the spot where his parents died and placing the two roses comes to mind. It's short, but the music and Keaton's facial expression really impresses me.
At the risk of stealing another poster's line, it helps when you're not playing the character, but you are the character.  :)

Still think the same.

Great posts, everyone!