Touring Gotham City at Pinewood... A "visitor's map" of sorts. :)

Started by 1989Batmancom, Tue, 2 Apr 2013, 22:12

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey all!

So the pictures posted by Mark R Jones of his Pinewood set visit pretty much took my breath away the other day. With his permission, I've worked them into a post at my '89 fansite today. I've spent the last few days matching his pictures up to shots from the film in an attempt to figure out how the set was laid out. Please check it out if you get a chance:

http://www.1989batman.com/2013/04/production-materials-pinewood-studios.html

Thanks again to Mark for the amazing pictures!

-James
Check out my blog focusing on the 1989 Batman film: http://www.1989batman.com/

These pics are amazing.  Thanks for the tour.  :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I was working on a map of the set, but it looks like you beat me to the punch.  :)

As far as I'm concerned, the Gotham City designed by Anton Furst remains one of the most unique looking cities ever imagined on film. It makes me wish I could live there, despite all the crime that might happen!  8) I didn't know that shocking unveiling a Joker statue for the 200 Anniversary was in the original script though; it's a shame they never used that on film. Thanks for the article!

By the way, I took the liberty of superimposing one of your pictures of the Keaton's Batman collectible and superimposed it with Ledger's Joker, if you don't mind:

:-[
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  7 Apr  2013, 06:49
As far as I'm concerned, the Gotham City designed by Anton Furst remains one of the most unique looking cities ever imagined on film.

Can't argue with that. Great article

Oh boy. That single matte painting that lasts a few seconds gets 'Gotham' across so good it's not funny. I don't need to see the streets themselves, just that skyline. Everything contained in a big package. The clouds, the sky, the spires reaching up, the dim lighting reflecting on the water. I can just imagine what goes on in there.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  8 Apr  2013, 12:47Oh boy. That single matte painting that lasts a few seconds gets 'Gotham' across so good it's not funny. I don't need to see the streets themselves, just that skyline. Everything contained in a big package. The clouds, the sky, the spires reaching up, the dim lighting reflecting on the water. I can just imagine what goes on in there.
I've waxed fanboy about it a few times myself. Took a lot of balls to open a movie on a matte shot but that's what Burton did. It instantly communicates what the reality of Gotham City is in just a few seconds. It's nothing you can put into words but you instantly understand how dangerous and dark the place can be. It's wonderful.

That's a very impressive and insightful article. Thanks for sharing it.

The artistry and craftsmanship that went into constructing the Batman 89 Gotham is still astounding after all these years. I'm not sure if the 1989 Gotham will ever be equalled in another live action film. I seriously doubt it will be surpassed.