was anyone else very underwhelmed by Firefly?

Started by mrrockey, Fri, 26 Dec 2014, 08:10

Previous topic - Next topic
A few months ago, I finally got around to seeing one of the all-time geek essentials, Firefly. And I gotta say, while I didn't really hate or dislike the show, I don't see what the fuss was about either. I thought the show was entertaining for what it was and it certainly had an interesting aesthetic style of mixing sci-fi and western elements but beyond that, I really don't think the show was that great. The plots often felt very recycled and standard and they were a bit predictable at times. The characters, while likable, feel a bit unoriginal and archetypical and two-dimensional(though, that may be due to the early cancellation). The show also depended too much on one-liners on occasion as every time something bad looked like it was about to happen, one of the characters had to say something witty before commercial break, somewhat deflating the tension in the scene. On a side note, am I the only one who thinks Summer Glau just isn't a very good actress? She's okay in the show, but everything else I've seen her in, with the exception of a few scenes in that Terminator show she was in, she's just not very good and seems to rely solely on making that derpy expression of hers in every scene and just doesn't have much else going on. She's pretty hot, though.

I did like Serenity a lot better and I thought it pretty much fixed all the problems I had with Firefly. A more interesting, better realized plot, richer, better developed characters, and I feel this concept just works better with more focus on sci-fi action over constantly relying on character banter. But on its own, I just don't think Firefly is all that great. It's not bad, just overrated, at least in my opinion.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Discuss...

I checked out the first few episodes over the summer, thought it was decent but didn't match the hype. I just got netflix so I will give it another go.