Best Batman moments in TDK

Started by GuedesGothamKnight, Wed, 7 Jan 2009, 17:33

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi guys, I'm new here. I'd like to say that I'm a big Batman fan and I love the Burton and Nolans Bat-movies, especially The Dark Knight. So, to start, which you think are the best Batman moments in TDK from the fake batmen/Scarecrow scene to the Gordon's speech?  ;D
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

Hi and welcome!!

I'll start the ball rolling.
I love Batmans first appearance!! Just love how he bends the fake Batmans gun, then cracks him in the face with a forearm! lol

Then just rips through 3 guys like they are not there, deals with a 8 stone rotrieler dog, gets hit by a transit, yet still tries to get into the van to get the scarecrow!

All the while the injured fake Batman is on the ground watching the unbelievable unfold in front of his own eyes. You know hes thinking 'this guy is serious!! But I wish it was me!'
He watches as Batman drops off the carpark onto the van roof.

I loved that you could see him dealing the ass-whoopings. In the theater, I literally let out a yelp of excitement when I realized I could see Batman fighting this time.  :D

My favorite moments? Oh, let me count them....

"Hopefully, because he's busy." -- I love, love, LOVE that they get into the romantic/mythological aspects of Batman in this scene. Showing the effect the Bat Signal has, it's symbolic nature. Along with Gordon saying that "I like to remind everybody that he's out there." That's the iconography and romanticism and mythological aspect that I love about Batman.

Eject Sequence Initiated -- Not only do I love this scene for it's parallel to the Batmissile sequence from Batman Returns (Tell me it wasn't intentional!), but because I'm a big fan of Batman's gadgets, and the death of the Tumbler was enjoyed by me. I love that it can do it's own stunts, but really, it wasn't the prettiest toy in his bat-garage. The Bat-Pod is sleeker and handier, not to mention the fact that a hidden mode is just plain cool. I like the idea that something is never useless, that Batman always has another trick up his sleeve. And it kind of harkens back to my memories of the Batman toys of yore that would have two or three modes to a vehicle.

"C'mon, HIT ME!" -- Again, an homage to Burton. And what can I say? It's just classic Batman/Joker "bonding."  :P

"What'd you think? That on the inside, everyone is as ugly as you? You're alone!" -- Batman hits the Joker where it hurts. And the satisfaction on his face as he says it is pure awesome.

"No, but I know how you got these! -- Batman owns the Joker. Again, Batman has another trick up his sleeve. Once more, pure awesome!

And these are just a few...
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Thu, 8 Jan 2009, 02:54 #3 Last Edit: Thu, 8 Jan 2009, 03:00 by The Dark Knight
The Scarecrow opening scene is tarnished IMO. Burton is a master of atmosphere, Nolan is not up to his standard. I wish they removed the unneccessary dialogue in both Nolan Batman films. Unneccesary dialogue from Batman himself - 'I'm not wearing hockey pads' - 'nice coat' etc. These cheesy lines and moments totally tarnish the atmosphere. Batman should want to speak as less as possible. He does not want to be judged or to risk his identity. Keaton would have walked away in silence and driven off. Also, for crying out loud remove the cheesy, unfunny wise cracking cops and sight gags. Totally smashes the atmosphere to pieces.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  8 Jan  2009, 02:54
The Scarecrow opening scene is tarnished IMO. Burton is a master of atmosphere, Nolan is not up to his standard. I wish they removed the unneccessary dialogue in both Nolan Batman films. Unneccesary dialogue from Batman himself - 'I'm not wearing hockey pads' - 'nice coat' etc. These cheesy lines and moments totally tarnish the atmosphere. Batman should want to speak as less as possible. He does not want to be judged or to risk his identity. Keaton would have walked away in silence and driven off. Also, for crying out loud remove the cheesy, unfunny wise cracking cops and sight gags. Totally smashes the atmosphere to pieces.

IMO, Scarecrow was tarnished the moment his costume was revealed to be a mask and business suit. Burton would have given us the comic book costume.

Anyway, let's not turn this into a Burton discussion (Even if it is fun).
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

I?ll say I like the Heath Ledger Joker moments the most.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  8 Jan  2009, 02:54

Agreed

My favorite moment in TDK was the Bank scene. Great Timing, though some uneeded explanations in dialogue, it was Extremely bad ass. Loved "Stranngeerrr."

Followed by the conversation between cop and Joker while he's in holding "Would you like to know which of them are cowards."

One of my favourite scenes is when the Joker is in the MCU talking to Batman.
"They need you now, but when they dont they'll cast you out...like a leapper"

I honestly believe you get to see some of the psyche of the Joker here. It's probably the only time in the whole movie that the Joker is being straight about himself, but you dont trust him, so you dunno whether to believe what hes saying.

What I quoted above, the Joker is not talking about Batman, hes talking about himself!!! But he is drawing parallels with himself and Batman, suggesting they are the same - the police force is just using Batman just like the mob is using the Joker.

Great scene, and a great opportunity inbetween the action set pieces for Bale and Ledger to do a bit of actual acting. And the fight in the MCU (one sided as it is) gives me goose bumps.

"Killing is making a choice! Choose between one life or the other! Your friend the District Attorney, or his blushing Bride to be! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!"

Fri, 9 Jan 2009, 00:36 #8 Last Edit: Fri, 9 Jan 2009, 00:40 by thecolorsblend
"Let's wind the clocks back a year. These cops and lawyers wouldn't dare cross any of you. I mean, what happened? Did your balls drop off? Look, I know why you choose to have your little group therapy sessions in broad daylight. I know why you're afraid to go out at night... The Batman. See, Batman, has shown Gotham your true colors, unfortunately. Dent? He's just the beginning. And as far as the television's so-called "plan?" Batman has no jurisdiction. He'll find him and make him squeal! I know the squealers when I see them, and..."

The MOXIE of Batman flying to Hong Kong, busting Lao and dragging his ass back to the States.  People can say whatever they want about how illegal something like that would be, how US officials would probably just send him back to China, etc, I DON'T CARE, that scene OWNED.  Pure Batman!

Batman beating the crap out of the Batmen, the mobsters and Scarecrow.

The general tone of the film.  Ya know?  The chaos, fear and paranoia the average citizens were feeling because of what the Joker was doing.  Maybe Nolan could've played it up a little more but it's great the way it is.

I also liked the fear that crooks had of even seeing the bat signal.  That, and the non-investigation MCU was doing of the Batman.  Batman was having an effect, both on the underworld and with the police.

"Don't talk like one of them, you're not! Even if You'd like to be.  To them you're just a freak, like me. They need you right now, but when they don't... they'll cast you out like a leper. See, their morals, their code?  It's a bad joke.  And dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be.  I'll show you.  When the chips are down, these civilized people?  They'll EAT each other."

I dug the Chechen.  His look, his dialogue, how he delivered it, the character himself, I dunno, he just clicked for me in a big way.  Interestingly, of all the mobsters, he was the closest to understanding what was REALLY going on.

"Wanna know how I got these scars?  My father was... a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. Turns to me and he says "Why so serious?" Comes at me with the knife.  "Why so serious?" Sticks the blade in my mouth. "Let?s put a smile on that face!"

Welcome GUEDES!! I abosultely love everything about TDK so its very hard for me to choose anything specific, probably one of my fav scenes as an example is everything in Hong Kong, it was shot so well and gave me that excited "goosebumps" batman feeling, perfect.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.