Bale Arrested?

Started by Paul (ral), Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 09:33

Previous topic - Next topic
Christian Bale was arrested yesterday on alledged assult charges again his mother and sister.

link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/jul/23/christianbale.thedarkknight

Christian Bale has denied allegations of assault made by his mother and sister.

The Welsh-born actor, 34, was arrested by Metropolitan police yesterday while in town promoting The Dark Knight, in which he reprises his role as Batman. Bale was questioned for several hours at Belgravia police station before his release. He denies the allegation and has not been charged, said his lawyers.

"Christian Bale attended a London police station today [Tuesday], on a voluntary basis, in order to assist with an allegation that had been made against him to the police by his mother and sister," said the Schillings firm in a statement.

"Mr Bale, who denies the allegation, co-operated throughout, gave his account in full of the events in question, and has left the station without any charge being made against him by the police," it added.

The allegation made against Bale was of assault, Bale's Los Angeles-based spokesperson, Jennifer Allen, confirmed to Reuters.

Bale is expected to present himself again to police in the autumn. A police spokesperson said: "A 34-year-old man has been bailed to return to a police station on a date in September."

According to media reports, Bale is accused of assaulting his mother Jenny, 61, and his sister Sharon, 40, at the Dorchester hotel on Sunday evening.

The women, who live in Dorset, went to a Hampshire police station on Monday to make a complaint, which was passed to Scotland Yard.

Speaking from an upstairs window of her home in Wimborne yesterday, Sharon Bale would say only that it was a "family matter".

Bale was in London to promote The Dark Knight, which has already become a blockbuster after cashing in close to $200m (?100m) worldwide in its opening weekend. In the US, it broke the three-day opening record previously held by Spider-Man 3.

A spokesperson for the film's distributor, Warner Brothers, said the police inquiry would not impact the movie's international press tour, which stops next in Barcelona and Tokyo. "Everybody is continuing with business as usual," she said.

Yea i heard about that yesterday, WOW i wonder how bad the situation really is :o/. I highly doubt it will effect TDK the carziest Nolan fans will stick by him even if he murdered someone.

I obviously don't know Bale personally, but from what I have observed, this falls outside of his character.  I'm waiting for both sides of the story before making a judgment on this.
I appreciate ALL dark, serious, and faithful Batman films.

Quote from: Sandman on Wed, 23 Jul  2008, 09:43
the carziest Nolan fans will stick by him even if he murdered someone.
I wouldn't go that far.

I'll reserve my judgement here until I have all the facts at hand.

Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 15:30 #4 Last Edit: Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 15:32 by silenig
Yeah, it's wise to reserve our judgment.

Having read about the background of the family due to this incident, one can argue that it's a case of estranged and disgruntled/embittered family members trying to blacken the reputation of their relative at the moment of his greatest success, days after the premiere of his biggest movie yet.

If there was no damage done and it's a "family matter", why did they go to the police and made it public? Couldn't it be resolved inter-family?

The problem is that most won't read between the lines, they'll take the titles face value and say things like "Bale pulled a Russel Crowe on his family??? He's worse", something that is totally out of character for cool-headed family man Bale. Nothing was ever heard of him going out acting stupid in bars or something, never.

We'll see, but I'm sure that (I repeat) cool-headed Bale has nothing to do with such things (and I say this not as a fanboy to his Batman, I simply hate it when these things happen to anyone, especially people that alone have more dignity than half of Hollywood stars combined)

Quote from: silenig on Wed, 23 Jul  2008, 15:30
Having read about the background of the family due to this incident, one can argue that it's a case of estranged and disgruntled/embittered family members trying to blacken the reputation of their relative at the moment of his greatest success, days after the premiere of his biggest movie yet.
Without trying to rush to judgment, yeah, this was basically my interpretation of it too.  The timing of this thing is pretty suspect.

I assume he hit them because they were breaking the law. I mean, he IS Batman.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton