Casting a Batman A.S. Movie ? ?

Started by Batman333, Thu, 22 Oct 2009, 07:48

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 23 Oct  2009, 23:08And could someone please explain to me the appeal of Kate Beckinsale?
It's not that I disagree with you, it's just that I'd take her any day over Jennifer Connely, another plain as hell fanboy fave.

I swear, people criticize movie studios for having a short list of actors they want no matter what the role but when it comes to comics films, fanboys have a list too.  The same names pop up every time speculating casting starts.  Jim Caviezel was a favorite for the Batman reboot, Superman in Ratner's movie, Jor-El for Singer's Superabortion and Superman again in the cancelled JLA flick.

Anyway.  All this to say that Beckinsale is another such name.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 23 Oct  2009, 23:27
It's not that I disagree with you, it's just that I'd take her any day over Jennifer Connely, another plain as hell fanboy fave.

The thing about Connelly though is that even if you personally don't find her particularly attractive she still has a certain classical film star look which a lot of today's female leads don't have.  Especially in The Rocketeer and Mulholland Falls.  I'm not suggesting that Connelly should be everyone's cup of tea, or even that she is a favourite of mine, but I do think she has a classical look that sets her apart from the typical girl you might see on the street.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I remember back when BTAS had just started, everyone said Marisa Tomei should play Harley Quinn. If I recall correctly, Harley mentions she's not a real blonde so the hair color thing wouldn't have been a problem.

Sat, 24 Oct 2009, 15:36 #14 Last Edit: Sat, 24 Oct 2009, 15:41 by batass4880
Quote from: phantom stranger on Sat, 24 Oct  2009, 13:51
I remember back when BTAS had just started, everyone said Marisa Tomei should play Harley Quinn. If I recall correctly, Harley mentions she's not a real blonde so the hair color thing wouldn't have been a problem.

Wow, didn't know that. I can SO see Tomei as Harley in a live action film.

Tomei definitely has the Brooklyn accent for the role.

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Oh yeah, Jennifer Connelly has always been such a plain jane.  ::)

Give me a ****ing break.

QuoteAnd could someone please explain to me the appeal of Kate Beckinsale?  If I saw her at work or a club, sure I'd think she was very attractive, but as far as film actresses go she seems kind of ordinary, and I'm not overly-impressed by her acting ability (see Pearl Harbour or Underworld, or rather don't).

Well, Kate's not a completely inept actress (atleast not to the extent of Megan Fox), but yeah her acting ability is certainly unmemorable to say the very least. She's also not unattractive, or plain as hell, but I always found her looks to be a bit too Hollywood cookie cutter for my tastes. And thus, largely forgettable.

QuoteI remember back when BTAS had just started, everyone said Marisa Tomei should play Harley Quinn. If I recall correctly, Harley mentions she's not a real blonde so the hair color thing wouldn't have been a problem.

You're absolutely correct. Harley does indeed mention in TAS that she's actually not a real blonde. Which I found to be an interesting little tidbit to mention about her character.  ;D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Sun, 25 Oct 2009, 03:33 #17 Last Edit: Sun, 25 Oct 2009, 03:38 by The Dark Knight
Sorry, but I'm with colors. Jennifer Connelly doesn't do anything for me. She strikes me as plain and dull. I think it has something to do with her face. I see plenty of plain Jane gals out there in the big wide world like her - and a lot are often better.

Sun, 25 Oct 2009, 05:57 #18 Last Edit: Sun, 25 Oct 2009, 06:00 by phantom stranger
Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 24 Oct  2009, 17:03

Suddenly I have a tremendous urge to watch Dark City and The Hulk...on mute.

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 24 Oct  2009, 17:03Oh yeah, Jennifer Connelly has always been such a plain jane.  ::)

Give me a ****ing break.
I don't have the kind of free time I'd need but 10:1 I could find at least one (or six) pics where she's nothing special.

Sad to say, I could look beyond appearances if she was at least a compelling actor.  Serviceable, perhaps, but she never really struck me as anything special.  A good example is the Hulk.  She was just bland and flat in the role.  Liv Tyler, by constrast, brought a sense of goofy nerdiness to the character and also a believeable sense of melancholy and loss.  Tyler is hardly a top flight performer but she did more with the role in ten minutes than Connelly did with all 12 hours of Hulk 2003 (or however long that wretched abortion was).

You could argue that the differences are due to the two actors having different directors.  Fair enough.  But the dull, flatness is something Connelly brings to every role.  If you need mopey, bland line-readings from a (typically) plain jane actress, hey, Connelly's your girl without a doubt.

If you want something with life and energy to it... well, look elsewhere, I guess.