Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
I think you missed the point completely. It's fine to have an opinion or be critical, but  to go beyond the movie, and start using outside quotes or pics that aren't associated with the movie, is a bit much. Not everybody who dislikes the movie is a "Snyder hater". I wouldn't classify anyone here as one(at least, not that I've seen).   

And you can flip those ratings around for the Nolan movies. They're all highly praised, but I wouldn't call the majority of critics or people who enjoyed them a "Nolanite". So yes, I do think it's a certain minority of hardcore crazies that are taking it to the extreme, just like what happened with TDKT.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 27 Apr  2016, 00:22
I think you missed the point completely. It's fine to have an opinion or be critical, but  to go beyond the movie, and start using outside quotes or pics that aren't associated with the movie, is a bit much. Not everybody who dislikes the movie is a "Snyder hater". I wouldn't classify anyone here as one(at least, not that I've seen).   

And you can flip those ratings around for the Nolan movies. They're all highly praised, but I wouldn't call the majority of critics or people who enjoyed them a "Nolanite". So yes, I do think it's a certain minority of hardcore crazies that are taking it to the extreme, just like what happened with TDKT.
Okay, fair enough.  I guess I just haven't really encountered any of these Snyder haters.

I have encountered a few people online who are taking rather too much delight in the failure of BvS.  Now, I as much as anyone would love to see the franchise rebooted and done in a way that is more to my liking (and yes, I realise that may sound selfish, but bear in mind that this is what I'd ideally like, not what I think should happen...big difference) however, I still wanted to be proven wrong prior to the release of the movie.  Like I've said elsewhere, no one should want a bad superhero movie.  That said, it seems some people were practically praying for BvS to fail, and were relishing its poor critical reception.  I can't relate to those people, even if I can relate to the ones who are now peeved off that their worst fears were sadly realised.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Forget trying to talk to johnnygobbs about BvS, Travesty. He hasn't even watched the damn film yet, and doesn't intend to, but still takes the time to criticise it. Disappointing.

The weird thing is, I think these Snyder haters make the uber-Nolan fans look a bit sane.

It can't be that bad, can it? I honestly didn't realise there was much difference between the two.

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 26 Apr  2016, 17:48
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 26 Apr  2016, 11:49
But hey, Superman in this series isn't meant to care about humanity apparently.

Yeah, the detractor's can be pretty funny in their assumptions. Superman saved plenty of people throughout MOS, not to mention by the end, oh yeah, the ENTIRE PLANET!

I remember defending MOS quite a bit on the internet following it's release, but quickly realized that arguing the same points over and over again with it's detractor's was a complete waste of time and effort. They had already made up their minds.

I seriously think Snyder missed a glorious opportunity by not making Superman trying to lift the Fortress of Solitude away from Metropolis and send it to the bay as soon as he sabotaged it during the "Krypton had its chance!" scene in MOS. It might've calmed down the complaints about "Superman destroying Metropolis" a bit (what amuses me so much is I hardly see anyone complaining about Superman crashing Zod into a power plant and gas station in Smallville, where he was directly responsible for starting the fight around civilians, unlike Metropolis). Instead, Superman goes strangely missing when the ship crashed into the city.

I do think MOS and BvS have legitimate criticisms against them, but I can definitely recognise the good things about them too. I find it frustrating a lot of people don't understand - or care - that BvS in particular was a redemption story for both heroes; Superman proves his worth and selflessness to protect the planet from danger and Batman comes out of the darkness as he's inspired by Superman's sacrifice.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Wed, 27 Apr 2016, 12:33 #243 Last Edit: Wed, 27 Apr 2016, 12:58 by The Dark Knight

Yep. The people against this film are reaching beyond belief now. The anti-Snyder crew are just as rabid as the Nolan crowd. And that's no exaggeration. It's because they both feel entitled in their views by citing the Tomato Meter and critic reviews. It's their 'proof'.

I don't think everyone who enjoys the Nolan films is a Nolanite but there are quite a few characteristics of a Nolanite which justifies the hate towards their group
-the ridiculous voting pattern on the IMDB. Plenty of them rated interstellar a 10 prior to it being released to the public
-the voting down of any film which rivals Nolan. A perfect example; The dark knight rises currently sits at #62 on the IMDB, #61 is an Asian film titled 'grave of the fireflies' and no surprise plenty of Nolanites are voting that film 1
-the rooting against BvS. Nolanites claim themselves to be Batman fans instead of Nolan fans and that they possess an excellent knowledge of the character. Yet no true Batman fan would be rooting for a Batman film to fail (especially his first crossover for superman) and it's obvious many of them are.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 27 Apr  2016, 10:01
Forget trying to talk to johnnygobbs about BvS, Travesty. He hasn't even watched the damn film yet, and doesn't intend to, but still takes the time to criticise it. Disappointing.
I'm a little disappointed in you The Laughing Fish.

I've always respected you and appreciated the respect you've shown back, so why you've now decided to be personal towards me I don't know.  :-\

Is it so bizarre that I should choose to skip a film at the cinema if practically all the reviews confirm my exact fears about it prior to release?  I've always maintained the following: that if I have high anticipation for a film that personally appeals to me, I'll go see it, despite lukewarm reviews, or conversely, if I have low expectations for a particular film but the reviews turn out to be universally positive, I'll probably give it a chance.  However, in this instance, I had very low expectations for BvS and the reviews ultimately supported those concerns.  So why on Earth would I pay the equivalent of fifteen dollars to see a movie I can almost guarantee I'll dislike?  Where's the sense in that?

Even worse, I've constantly asked the few fans of this movie particular questions regarding its content, often with respect to Lex, and none of them have been able to address my fears and reassure me that I am wrong.  Clearly we have different tastes and the fans of this film are completely fine with a whiny, nerdy, jittery, irredeemable spoiled brat and borderline-autistic Lex.  Good for them.  I don't begrudge their tastes; they're entitled to them.  But unless they can convince me that I'm wrong about this interpretation of Lex, why should I go and see a film that features such a character I know I'll hate?

Like I say, it's one thing for the haters to turn me off from seeing BvS, but it really is a big red flag when the film's fans are also saying things that convince me I'll be better off waiting to see it when it shows up on TV.

I am not a hypocrite and I refuse to give money to filmmakers who are making the type of films I detest (which is precisely why I don't pay to see Transformers or the next Adam Sandler or Madea 'comedy' at the cinema).  I don't want to encourage the studios to keep making them, and whilst I don't remotely begrudge the handful of fans of this film, I can't deny that I am rather satisfied that this film has fallen way short of expectations box-office-wise (and to be clear, prior to the film's release and all the bad word-of-mouth I really did want to be proven wrong and for the film to consequently succeed).  Maybe it will now encourage Warner Bros to have a rethink and eventually reboot the franchise sooner than expected or at the very least jettison Hack Snyder as soon as the first Justice League movie is complete.

After all, when a Deadpool movie ends up with a bigger box-office gross than a film that features Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, that's clearly a sign things have not worked out the way they were planned.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Bring on the three hour R rated cut is all I say.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 28 Apr  2016, 03:32
I can't wait! Day one buy, for me.

Quote from: Travesty on Thu, 28 Apr  2016, 07:14
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 28 Apr  2016, 03:32
I can't wait! Day one buy, for me.
Put that enthusiasm away. The critics hated this movie, man. And you should too.

The film has apparently outgrossed the first two Iron Man films in its first month out at the theatre.

Source: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Batman-V-Superman-Just-Passed-Major-MCU-Movie-Box-Office-126827.html

At the moment, it's now grossed more than $854 million worldwide (note: not adjusted to inflation).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2015.htm

I won't deny that BvS underwhelmed financially compared to recent blockbuster movies grossing much more money e.g. Stars Wars, Jurassic World, Age of Ultron, but I think it would be incredibly foolish to claim it flopped at the box office.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei