Does your love for 89 give you excitement for TDK?

Started by shadowbat69, Tue, 27 May 2008, 13:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Some movies are best when you see them on your own.  Less distractions.

The fact that it's almost been 20 years since the Joker has appeared in a live action Batman movie does indeed make me more excited about this film than I otherwise might have been. Plus Ledger's performance looks to be spectacular.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

For me, the whole excitement of TDK is where Ledger will take the Joker and where Eckhart will take Dent.

I'm not as interested in Alfred, Gordon and Batman as I am the two main villians.

I'm worried actually. As an Batman lovin' adult it's gonna be a cool flick but I don't think that it'll be a movie that I'd want to take a 12 year old kid too and that makes me a little sad.

I think it may be a a little too "dark and twisted" for it own good, I think the worse than that I think it may be a little to complicated and "political".

The cool thing about Batman 89 is the simplicity of it all. There was enough intrigue and story stuff to get an adult on board and take it seriously but everything was bold, simple and fun enough for even the most hyper, suger infused kid to have a good time.

A ten year old kid playing with an action figure of the new two-face will be a surreal experience to say the least. Now little Timmy can relive his realistic portrayal of inner turmoil and angst at home! Woo Hoo!

Jack's Joker was tragic and scary without being realistically twisted.

That said I'm super excited to TDK myself but I'm afraid they are gonna miss out on hitting a wide audience. Batman shouldn't be taken away from kids in my opinion ( and kids shouldn't be spoken down to as well! A tough balance!)

Nick

Quote from: raleagh on Sun,  1 Jun  2008, 20:21
For me, the whole excitement of TDK is where Ledger will take the Joker and where Eckhart will take Dent.

I'm not as interested in Alfred, Gordon and Batman as I am the two main villians.
Agreed. 
The only thing that's really given me excitement is what I've seen of Ledger's performance and I think the storyline with Dent will be cool if done right.  Some visual shots are cool- mainly the part of Batman swooping over the blue-tinted city.  I'm glad they replaced Katie Holmes with Maggie Gyllenhaal, even though I don't care much for the character.
Otherwise, I find myself sadly unenthusiastic.   :-\  Hopefully, the film will be surprise me. 
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

B89 made me a Batman fan, and I have a tremendous amount of affection for the film.  No Batman film has yet to supplant it in my mind, because B89 is my preferred version of Batman (Kane/Finger 1939).  Having said all that, I also enjoyed BB, and am excited to see a darker version of Nolan's Batman in TDK.  Jack Nicolson defined the Joker for me (as Keaton did Batman), so I don't know if Ledger will supplant him in my mind, though his version is more in tune with Kane/Finger's original vision so I am looking foward to his performance.  I am going with my brother-in-law to see it in IMAX opening day, and look forward to enjoying TDK, and simply being a Batman fan. I believe TDK will surpass B89 as the largest grossing Batman film of all time, and very well may be a superior film, but I just can't remove B89 from the throne no matter how good TDK might be...just too much history.  Perhaps a dual monarchy is in order...hey, it worked for the Spartans ;)     
I appreciate ALL dark, serious, and faithful Batman films.

Have you guys watched the 12 clips from TDK yet?
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5143&Itemid=99

It's looking good. I think it might still lack the iconic shots that B89 had, but that remains to be seen.  Bale's Batman voice still seems forced, but the fighting seems clearer and visually better to watch.  There also seem to be some nice moments with Bruce and Alfred, but they still insist on adding a joke at the end of each conversation which only serves to lighten the mood of the film (not needed!)

I am going to stick to trailers and TV spots until I see the movie, but I trust your judgment raleagh  :)

I'm not surprised about Bale's voice, but I'm glad the fighting looks better onscreen.  Hopefully watching them on the IMAX screen will be a much smoother experience than with Begins.

As for the humor, if there's any character in these films who brings some comic relief, it's got to be Alfred.  If it's done well and isn't groan-inducing or tedious, then I'll be okay with it.  The "Much more subtle" line in the trailer was perfect Alfred humor, in my opinion.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...