What was missing?

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 8 May 2008, 21:53

Previous topic - Next topic
What would you like to have seen in the Burton films that wasn't there?

I loved the Burton movies but I would've liked seeing more pitched fights between Batman and his adversaries.  We got a few decent fights in both films but not to the extent the comics showed.  It's a minor gripe in the scheme of things but there you go.

Another thing was that the nature of the story didn't allow Batman to tackle regular street crime too often.  Batman was mostly focused on the villains of each piece rather than trying to clean up Gotham.  Again, that's how the narrative of each film worked out but I still wouldn't have minded at least one or two scenes where Batman halts a robbery or what have you (which could've led right back to the first thing up there).

I agree with thecolorsblend. More generic criminal fight scenes would have been cool.

I also think the Gordon/Batman relationship could have used some attention. BB did a nice job in this respect.

Quote from: Cocoboloboy on Fri,  9 May  2008, 17:17
I also think the Gordon/Batman relationship could have used some attention. BB did a nice job in this respect.

yeah, i always would have liked to see Batman in the shadows of Gordon's office talking - but as equals, not strangers as in BB - hopefully we will see this in TDK

I like Pat Hingle alright, but I believe he was a bit miscast in the role of Gordon. But yes, I would have loved to have seen more of a relationship between him and Batman in the Burton films. As it seemed very casual at best in both final products.

Seeing Robin in a Burton film may have been interesting as well.

Also, I would have loved to seen the scene where Joker's goons take out Gotham's top tier gangsters which was in one of Hamm's first drafts.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Nothing was wrong with the two Burton films in my view. The only thing lacking was a third film.

Mon, 24 Nov 2008, 18:38 #6 Last Edit: Wed, 16 Feb 2011, 02:34 by THE BAT-MAN
I wish that Batman Returns would have included scenes of Penguin smoking.  Considering all the promotional movie posters had photos of Penguin smoking from his cigarette stick.  Not to mention Bob Kane had said in an interview that he got the inspiration for Penguin from a carton of cigarettes, that had a penguin as the logo. 

Mon, 24 Nov 2008, 20:08 #7 Last Edit: Sat, 29 Nov 2008, 06:24 by batass4880
Yeah, me too. I love the image of him on the poster because he looks so mean and nasty. The cigarette holder and monocle I thought made him look more evil. But sadly, he didn't smoke in the film and only wore his monocle once or twice very briefly. :(

Return's could have had flashback's to show how Bruce became Batman, like the first one did with him remembering his parents death.

Good fight scenes, I really liked the ones in 89 but I think BR dropped the ball quite a bit when it came to the way they shot the action scenes.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.