Deja Vu

Started by Sandman, Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 11:14

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't know how it is in your country but here in Australia its returns all over again. I just read this and figured you all might get a kick out of it:

Iemma bids to stop Batman burger toy 

so far NSW Premier Morris Iemma wants a fast food chain to stop using Batman in a cross-promotion aimed at children.

Mr Iemma says it is inappropriate for Hungry Jacks to offer toys promoting the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight, with their children's meals.

The Dark Knight is classified M for mature audiences.

The premier, a father of four, says it sends the wrong message.

"It puts undue pressure on parents who are trying to explain to children why they can not see the movie," Mr Iemma said.

"It is hard enough for parents to resist a child's plea for toys let alone ones promoting an adult movie when they're free with kiddie meals."

Mr Iemma says that with Hungry Jacks advertising the promotion during children's programming, television stations should also consider pulling the ad during those times.

Thats their 'Dark Whopper' deal right? As far as I know, it doesn't come with a toy.

Over here in the states we dont even have a fast food promotion. We only had a Dominoes deal that had Batman boxes and a TDK themed website. Maybe they were afraid of the "Returns Backlash" so attempted kids meals only overseas. There was an article in USA Today where soem parents were upset over the overall content of TDK. We'll have to wait and see how this all plays out.

Quote from: shadowbat69 on Wed, 23 Jul  2008, 22:08
Over here in the states we dont even have a fast food promotion. We only had a Dominoes deal that had Batman boxes and a TDK themed website. Maybe they were afraid of the "Returns Backlash" so attempted kids meals only overseas. There was an article in USA Today where soem parents were upset over the overall content of TDK. We'll have to wait and see how this all plays out.

I haven't seen much in the way of fast-food tie in's here in the U.S. either, other than Dominos Pizza, but I was wondering when someone was going to question some of the TDK merchandise towards kids.   I've read somewhere that the TDK was mostly marketed towards adults and that there were to be more generic Batman merchandise for the kiddies, but I have seen a lot of TDK merchandise marketed towards kids i.e. action figures, toys in cereal, pajamas, kids bedding etc. TDK is not a kid friendly film.  Both times I saw TDK, kids I consider too young to were there view it.  I'm a father, and there's no way he's seeing TDK before he's 13.  If he asks me why he can have the TDK action figure but can't see the movie, I just have to do what all parents should do, PARENT.  I can see the point about sending a contradictory message via marketing so there is some blame there, but honestly parents, do your homework before letting your kid see ANY film and stop blaming other people for your inept parenting.  I wouldn't worry about it though, TDK is a juggernaught that no amount of complaining about Happy Meals can derail ;)
I appreciate ALL dark, serious, and faithful Batman films.

QuoteThats their 'Dark Whopper' deal right? As far as I know, it doesn't come with a toy.
Yeah i saw some ad for that 'Dark Whopper' last night shortly after i started this and just figuered they must be doing a whole promotion thing with a couple of different meals.

QuoteI've read somewhere that the TDK was mostly marketed towards adults and that there were to be more generic Batman merchandise for the kiddies, but I have seen a lot of TDK merchandise marketed towards kids i.e. action figures, toys in cereal, pajamas, kids bedding etc. TDK is not a kid friendly film.   

Sadly it's true it's all about making money and lots of it, and you said it yourself TDK is a juggernaught and to companys that's a money train and they will try to get as much out of this while they can. Parents are always gonna complain i guess they find it easier to bitch and whine then actully try being a PARENT.