Anyone seen The Dark Knight yet?

Started by Sandman, Thu, 17 Jul 2008, 06:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Truthfully, I don't think Ledger deserves anything better than an honorary Oscar. Not putting his performance down, at all. Because I absolutely loved it. But I was just as impressed by other comic book movie performances.

And I don't think the Academy will give better than an honorary award, as some art house film will probably win the award anyway. If it's a comic book film, the Academy ignores it in the "honorable" catagories.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

I wonder, given time, if the community will become even more polarised?

Quote from: raleagh on Mon, 21 Jul  2008, 22:17
I wonder, given time, if the community will become even more polarised?

That might be the case. I know for sure I prefered tdk less than bb even with my issues with it.

you didn't like tdk as much as bb?  that's interesting.

Mon, 21 Jul 2008, 22:45 #24 Last Edit: Mon, 21 Jul 2008, 22:47 by AV
I'm going to see it tomorrow.

To be honest, I'm a little worried that my expectations are too high. But, we'll see.

Although not as problematic as BEGINS, I'm hearing that the film is a little talky at the end?

Most of the complaints I've read don't seem to be that problematic for me. In fact, some of them make me confident that they nailed it.

But there were two particular criticisms that stroke me a little too familiar, one being a) "tragic heroes don't talk about how tragic they are" (i.e. a lot of talk again, this time about Bale's depressive state) and b) that at the end exposition makes an appearence in order to make sure the audiences get the characters' motivations (i.e. problem from BEGINS' third act again).

We'll see, I guess.

Well, Ill say it again. TDK exceeded all my expectations. The dialogue at the end of the film is fantastic.

As far as the thought of fans beating down the past movies because of TDK, well, thats gonna happen. Its gonna happen with any franchise that has a successful sequel/reboot/ whatever. Howver, ask yourselves, is fans love for the past movies going to bring unfair critisizm to TDK?

Quote from: shadowbat69 on Mon, 21 Jul  2008, 23:36
Howver, ask yourselves, is fans love for the past movies going to bring unfair critisizm to TDK?

That is true.  I would say there are those on both sides.  I personally find that most of the fustration from one camp is more to do with bashers from the other than the actual movies themselves - to a certain extent.

I went into TDK with pretty minimal expectations.  I'm pro-Burton, I hate realism in superhero films and Bale's Batman voice is a travesty.  All those things notwithstanding, I dug TDK.

I don't think the fanbase will become polarized.  Quite the opposite, I think over time the weaknesses of Nolan's films will be viewed with greater objectivity.  People are already doing it with BB.  It doesn't seem to be as universally loved as it once was.

That might be the case. I know for sure I prefered tdk less than bb even with my issues with it.

Lol Same it's not as if i hated TDK far from it. But from everything i heard TDK  was going to be the greastest batman ever and it turned out to be alot more like a James Bond movie, i think begins is prob the better movie of the two.

I personally liked TDK.^^ It was very good. I thought Heath Ledger did an excellent performance as The Joker,he even had me chuckle at a gew of his sadistic scences.^^ Although it did drag in a few scenes,but it was very good nevertheless. I'll give it a 4/5. I still love Nicholson's Joker as my very own personal favorite.^^

I am Vengence,I Am The Night....