TDK......Batmania 2008?

Started by shadowbat69, Thu, 10 Apr 2008, 23:33

Previous topic - Next topic
We're getting real close now. Ive already started to see TDK merchandise popping up at retail and Ive also seen some of the promotions that are yet to come. Not to mention the toy blitz thats about to hit.  My question is, do you think we will see another Batmania with the release of TDK? If so, do you welcome it? What would you like to see?

I am a little worried about the marketing for TDK, it seems to be echoing what Begins did, with only a couple of months to go.

A couple of examples.

• I occassionaly bring up the topic of movies in work during slack periods to see what the opinion of TDK is.  Nobody is waiting for it (our work force covers a broad spectrum), everyone is looking for to Indiana Jones!
  • I work in the news paper industry.  I deal directly with the design teams on some publications and recently I have been having to correct them for using Conrad Veidt's photo instead of Ledger's as the Joker!  And apparently these photos came from a company that represent Warners in the UK!
  • Were it not for Ledger's death, there would be no talk about TDK in the papers at all.

Hopefully things will pick up soon.  The viral thing is great but it is too long winded now with all the pointless company websites - just show the damn trailers - and only serve to get interest from people who are already interested.

The lack of trailers does bother me. We had more for Begins and with this one suppose t be bigger, I dont see why WB isnt pushing harder. Theres a 2 month gap between Jones and TDK, so Im not worried about there being a conflict. After that length of time people will be ready for the next big summer movie.  With me working in the grocery industry, I do know there is going to be a food tie in campaign this time, and Im ready to get involved with it. :)  Im also checking with both TRUs and Target to see if there is going to be a big event for TDK toy merchandise like there was with Spidey 3. Im anxious for all this, Im ready for another summer Bat blitz. Its long over due.

Man Indiana Jones is comming!!!

Although, I have really enjoyed some of the viral campaigns, of late. I honestly hope this is a spectacular Batman movie.  While I enjoyed Begins, I wasn't completely blown away by it. Perhaps this film will amp it all up a bit more.

As for Batmania?  Honestly, when BB was released we didn't see the scope of Batmania that was so evident in 1989.  Not saying this to be a 'Nolan-basher,' but it's just the truth.  With the exception of the comics, superfriends, and the occasional 'scooby doo' appearance, Batman had minimal visibility from 1968 until 1989.  When 'Batman' came out, it was just huge.  Words fail me. :)

Since B89, we've had BR, BF, BandR, B:TAS, The New Superman/Batman Adventures, BAtman:MOTP, Batman: Subzero, Batman Beyond, BAtman:mystery of the Batwoman, JL, JLU, The Batman, and now the Brave and the Bold coming out this year, along with an 'animatrix' style DVD, 'Justice League: New Frontier,' and of course, TDK.  There is far more Batman and Batman-related media out there now, than there was in 1989.  In 1989, you had Batman: The Movie, the 60s series reruns, Superfriends variations, and the chapter-reels from the 40s on VHS.  That was about it really.

I'm sure the film will do well, don't get me wrong, and I'm hopeful I'll enjoy the heck out of it. But in terms of 'Batmania,' it may be a while before we see something that level again.

I don't think we'll see anything like what happened in '89 either. The thing that worries me the most about this film is the redesigned batsuit. I really hate it. The thing that excites me the most about it is the gritty take on Joker and Ledger's final performance as Batman's most popular enemy.

If anything I think it'll be Jokermania this time. ;) ;D

What films came out in 89?

Look at this year - Indy, Ironman, Hulk, Batman - there just isn't much free space to invade peoples lives with advertising anymore.

It's a pity - B89 coming out was an event - we were probably the last generation to experience something like that!

I agree raleagh. The age of the big event movies is over I think. The last one that, to me, was sortof a big deal was maybe Spiderman but it was not near as big of a splash as 89 Batman.

Quote from: raleagh on Wed, 23 Apr  2008, 08:23
What films came out in 89?

Look at this year - Indy, Ironman, Hulk, Batman - there just isn't much free space to invade peoples lives with advertising anymore.

It's a pity - B89 coming out was an event - we were probably the last generation to experience something like that!

1989 was the 1st summer of sequels. Indy 3, Karate Kid 3, Ghostbusters 2

I was disuciing this topic with a friend of mine and he feels that theyhype for TDK is very, very close to that of 89 and may equal, if not surpass it, once July 18th hits. Something he brought to my attention that I really never thought of was back in 89 we saw the batemblem everywhere. Billboards, posters and TV spots.  In place of all the actual visual propoganda and TV spots we now have the internet. TDK has put out the biggest viral campaign ever for a movie. Merchandise is realy just now getting the retail attention and we're still 2 weeks out. The onslaught of TV spots is just now hitting. I dont agree that it will surpass 89, but I do feel that it will be just as big.