Edward Nygma

Started by galenj01, Fri, 4 Mar 2016, 20:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: OutRiddled on Fri,  3 Jun  2016, 03:57
Anyone notice the similarities between Edward Nygma and Lex Luthor in BvS (besides appearance/mannerisms)?

*"Knowledge is power" - both say a variant of that line
*Both seen incarcerated at the end, acting insane
*Nygma obsessed with Bruce Wayne and Luthor obsessed with Superman

I'm sure there's more.

I think it's less so on the third point. Nygma felt betrayed by Bruce when his proposal for the brainwave device was turned down, and began stalking and threatening out him out of anger.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri,  3 Jun  2016, 13:55
I think it's less so on the third point. Nygma felt betrayed by Bruce when his proposal for the brainwave device was turned down, and began stalking and threatening out him out of anger.
No, Ed was already obsessed with Bruce Wayne.  He has several clippings and cut-outs of Bruce Wayne articles hung-up in his office cubicle.

The novelisation goes further into the obsession and hos it began from childhood, but the film makes this point quite clear.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

i think i remember in the novel Nygma hears about Wayne in the newspaper as a child. This is where his obsession starts from.
Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Lemme try! *Lemme try!* Ball up the fist, reach way back, and assert your... OW!!

Mon, 6 Jun 2016, 15:20 #23 Last Edit: Mon, 6 Jun 2016, 15:23 by Slash Man
Anyone notice how Batman Forever's Edward Nygma almost became a trope within itself? Likable geek/outcast has a particular obsession with the main hero, becomes disillusioned, and then becomes a villain based on a personal vendetta. Sounds pretty vague, but you'd know what I mean after seeing Electro in Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Aldrich Killian in Iron Man 3. Same geeky scientist-type, right down to the hair. I'm convinced Killian is a tribute to Nygma:

I know they had plans to make the Riddler even more different from the comics in earlier scripts, but scaled it back. Bruce-obsessed Nygma seemed to be one original aspect that remained.

Quote from: Slash Man on Mon,  6 Jun  2016, 15:20
Anyone notice how Batman Forever's Edward Nygma almost became a trope within itself? Likable geek/outcast has a particular obsession with the main hero, becomes disillusioned, and then becomes a villain based on a personal vendetta. Sounds pretty vague, but you'd know what I mean after seeing Electro in Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Aldrich Killian in Iron Man 3. Same geeky scientist-type, right down to the hair. I'm convinced Killian is a tribute to Nygma:

I'll have to see it again but the film in which Val Kilmer reportedly turned down Batman and Robin for- the Saint he takes on multiple disguises/personas and one seems to be a nerd with long hair and big glasses like Nygma.

I know they had plans to make the Riddler even more different from the comics in earlier scripts, but scaled it back. Bruce-obsessed Nygma seemed to be one original aspect that remained.

I'll have to see it again but the film in which Val Kilmer reportedly turned down Batman and Robin for- the Saint he takes on multiple disguises/personas and one seems to be a nerd with long hair and big glasses like Nygma.

I don't remember him with long hair in The Saint, but he did disguise himself as a nerd towards the end of the film.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

kilmer looks freaky
Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Lemme try! *Lemme try!* Ball up the fist, reach way back, and assert your... OW!!