Batman Forever Comic Book Influences

Started by BatmAngelus, Sat, 19 Jul 2008, 20:27

Previous topic - Next topic
^ Check about four posts above yours  ;)

While Chase Meridian gets crap sometimes for sounding like a merger between two banks, is her name really that more ridiculous or out there as Silver St. Cloud?  Chase's name at least has some thematic tie in to the movie.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon, 25 Mar  2013, 16:10^ Check about four posts above yours  ;)
Oops. But hey, at least now we have pics...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon, 25 Mar  2013, 16:10While Chase Meridian gets crap sometimes for sounding like a merger between two banks, is her name really that more ridiculous or out there as Silver St. Cloud?  Chase's name at least has some thematic tie in to the movie.
True dat.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon, 25 Mar  2013, 16:10
^ Check about four posts above yours  ;)

While Chase Meridian gets crap sometimes for sounding like a merger between two banks

LOL  :D

Not so much a comic book influence, but it's worth nothing that in the 1960s series, Riddler attempted to blow up the Batmobile in the first episode Hi Diddle Riddle.  He also, like Carrey's Riddler, pretended to be legit while he was committing crimes and kidnapped Robin (though the latter isn't exactly unique to Riddler).
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Sat, 21 Mar 2020, 15:52 #34 Last Edit: Sat, 21 Mar 2020, 15:54 by Silver Nemesis
Bat-Kilmer stands arms akimbo in a number of publicity images, as well as in the finished film. This pose is typical of the Golden Age Batman.

I thought I'd already covered the similarities between the helicopter sequence in the movie and the opening scene in Batman: Son of the Demon (1987), but after glancing over our site feature I realised I neglected to mention it until now. Both of these set pieces occur early in the story, right after Batman has saved hostages from a building surrounded by Gordon and his men. Once the threat inside the building has been neutralised, the police move in and the villains attempt to escape by helicopter. Batman gives chase and boards the chopper, but during the ensuing fight one of the villains discharges his gun in such a way that results in the helicopter exploding/crashing.

Batman survives by leaping into the waters of Gotham harbour. The image of him gasping for breath as he resurfaces is straight out of this comic.

Vicki Vale uses the Bat-Signal to summon Batman to police headquarters in 'Lights- Camera- Crime!' (Batman Vol 1 #50, December 1948), much like Chase does in the movie.

The Batmobile drives vertically up the side of a building in the Silver Age story 'The Outsider Strikes Again!' (Detective Comics Vol 1 #340, June 1965).

Here's a visual comparison with a scene from 'One Drown – One More to Go!' (Detective Comics Vol 1 #381, November 1968).

And another scene from 'The Arch-Rivals of Gotham City' (Batman Vol 1 #119, October 1958).

Great work.

During a recent skim I saw this from 'When Riddled By The Riddler' - Batman #362 (1983)

Probably too close to be a specific reference, but The Riddle Factory was released in 1995 and involves digging up dirt on celebrities, which is similar to Carrey's endgame in BF.

Before I get started, I have no idea if this was referenced in the original post for this thread. Hopefully, we can get back the comic influences threads some day.

If there's an aspect of Batman Forever that everyone seems agree isn't very good it's Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face. Probably the most criticized scene with that character in the film is after Two-Face and Riddler break into Wayne Manor. While Two-Face's goons pursue Chase and Bruce, Two-Face constantly flips his coin hoping to get scarred side up so that he can shoot Bruce.

People have said that this completely goes against Two-Face's character. However, I just wanted to say that there is a precedence in the comics for this behavior. I just read Batman #398, in it there's a sequence where Harvey has to decide to wear a mask so he turns to flipping his coin for help. He keeps flipping the coin until he gets the desired result and even says to another character "Did you think I can't toss my coin until I get whatever result I want?!"