Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 1 Jun 2016, 20:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Could very well be the first Thor movie that isn't a complete waste of time.

However, I am really starting to question just how much of a actual Thor movie this is going to end up being? Just going off the trailer, this looks like a skeletal Planet Hulk adaptation, at best, with Hulk and Dr. Strange thrown in to keep people interested. All while re-doing the whole Thor having to prove he's worthy! schtick that was already done in the 1st movie. Hela looks like she's going to ultimately become a stand in for Death, and will probably be seen with Thanos as a end credits stinger, and thus another set up for Marvel's Infinity War.

Also, with no Jane, is there even going to be an appearance for Sif in this? Who barely was even in Thor 2. I guess now that whole love triangle sub plot that was clearly being set up is completely out the window now?

Oh well. The use of Led Zeppelin was cool. Although a bit GOTG inspired.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 10 Apr  2017, 20:54
Could very well be the first Thor movie that isn't a complete waste of time.

I feel the exact opposite.

None of the trailers I've seen so far for Spider-Man: Homecoming, GOTG Vol. 2 and Thor: Ragnarok have made me looking forward to seeing any of these movies. I hate to say it, but ever since the second act in Civil War, I'm becoming more fed up with Marvel's use of humour for the sake of it. And as you say Joker, Thor needing to prove his worthy would only be a rehash of his arc in the first movie. Been there, done that.

Oh well. The use of Led Zeppelin was cool. Although a bit GOTG inspired.

The whole film looks like it's GOTG inspired too.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Looks interesting. I've got fond associations with the Thor franchise. And honestly, I got a little sick of hearing about Ragnarok so finally seeing this thing will be enjoyable.

"When I think of characters from Norse myth, the first thing I think of is Tessa Thompson."
- Nobody Ever (Never AD)

However, I am really starting to question just how much of a actual Thor movie this is going to end up being? Just going off the trailer, this looks like a skeletal Planet Hulk adaptation, at best, with Hulk and Dr. Strange thrown in to keep people interested.

Sadly that's the way all upcoming superhero films are likely to be from now on - cram in as many heroes as possible to maximise marketing potential. All these characters are going to meet in next year's Avengers: Infinity Wars anyway. So why can't they have some solo adventures in the meantime? With everything being a crossover nowadays, the very concept of the crossover is rapidly losing its novelty.

What's particularly grating about this crossover is that Marvel may be wasting one of their greatest stories. Planet Hulk is my all-time favourite Hulk comic. I'm currently re-reading it and wishing it would get a proper cinematic adaptation. There's such a rich and layered mythology behind that story, it'd be a shame to squander it all by condensing it into a single set piece for a Thor movie. Hopefully there's more to it than that. At the very least, they should have Caiera and some of the Warbound make an appearance.

The idea of Hulk fighting Thor in the arena seems to be a nod to the 2010 Planet Hulk animated movie, where Hulk battled Beta Ray Bill. Of course in the original comic his opponent was Silver Surfer, but that obviously can't happen here for legal reasons. If nothing else, the Hulk vs. Thor fight scene should be worth the price of admission. And it's always nice to see Jeff 'uh' Goldblum on the big screen.

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 10 Apr  2017, 20:54Hela looks like she's going to ultimately become a stand in for Death, and will probably be seen with Thanos as a end credits stinger, and thus another set up for Marvel's Infinity War.

Interesting theory. But who will be the stand-in for Mephisto? Or will they leave him out of Infinity Wars altogether?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 11 Apr  2017, 18:33
"When I think of characters from Norse myth, the first thing I think of is Tessa Thompson."
- Nobody Ever (Never AD)
Yeah, I tend to think of Idris Elba.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 11 Apr  2017, 11:59
The whole film looks like it's GOTG inspired too.

Considering the 1st Thor was a comedy that shouldn't have been a comedy, I guess it's not that surprising it's heading down that route!

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 11 Apr  2017, 20:33
Sadly that's the way all upcoming superhero films are likely to be from now on - cram in as many heroes as possible to maximise marketing potential. All these characters are going to meet in next year's Avengers: Infinity Wars anyway. So why can't they have some solo adventures in the meantime?

Makes complete sense.

QuoteWith everything being a crossover nowadays, the very concept of the crossover is rapidly losing its novelty.

Yeah, I share those sentiments as well. In some of these films, that aim for these types of crossovers, it's all too apparent that a good portion of time is totally devoted to being a lead in to the next chapter in the cinematic universe! rather than just simply concentrating on being a good movie within itself. Personally, I try to get excited over the upcoming Universal Monster shared universe that's supposedly going to kick off for real this time with the new MUMMY movie, but I find myself increasingly being more interested in just seeing good and worthwhile remakes/reboots to those classic films, rather than any sort of "shared universe" gimmick that studios are obsessed with these days.

QuoteWhat's particularly grating about this crossover is that Marvel may be wasting one of their greatest stories. Planet Hulk is my all-time favourite Hulk comic. I'm currently re-reading it and wishing it would get a proper cinematic adaptation. There's such a rich and layered mythology behind that story, it'd be a shame to squander it all by condensing it into a single set piece for a Thor movie. Hopefully there's more to it than that. At the very least, they should have Caiera and some of the Warbound make an appearance.

The idea of Hulk fighting Thor in the arena seems to be a nod to the 2010 Planet Hulk animated movie, where Hulk battled Beta Ray Bill. Of course in the original comic his opponent was Silver Surfer, but that obviously can't happen here for legal reasons. If nothing else, the Hulk vs. Thor fight scene should be worth the price of admission. And it's always nice to see Jeff 'uh' Goldblum on the big screen.

Yeah, I can perfectly understand that point. We're getting a watered down Planet Hulk adaptation. Likely due entirely to the whole Universal deal Marvel made years ago prior to the Disney acquisition. Evidently, the 2010 animated film is going to remain the "about as good as it's going to get" adaptation. Personally, one of the few reasons I'm giving this a look is due to my boy, The Incredible Hulk. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy it. As I haven't seen "Age of Ultron" since I sat thru it in the theater and really haven't had a big desire to revisit it. Though as you say, the addition of Goldblum just may add something.

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 10 Apr  2017, 20:54Hela looks like she's going to ultimately become a stand in for Death, and will probably be seen with Thanos as a end credits stinger, and thus another set up for Marvel's Infinity War.

Interesting theory. But who will be the stand-in for Mephisto? Or will they leave him out of Infinity Wars altogether?
[/quote]

Good question. Character wise, Infinity War looks like it's going to be a pretty busy set of films. Wouldn't surprise me if Mephisto just appears out of nowhere despite no substantial build up. It's not like Marvel doesn't have a pattern of lackluster cinematic villains.  ;)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Wed, 12 Apr 2017, 18:06 #28 Last Edit: Wed, 12 Apr 2017, 18:07 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 11 Apr  2017, 23:15Personally, I try to get excited over the upcoming Universal Monster shared universe that's supposedly going to kick off for real this time with the new MUMMY movie, but I find myself increasingly being more interested in just seeing good and worthwhile remakes/reboots to those classic films, rather than any sort of "shared universe" gimmick that studios are obsessed with these days.

I love the classic monster movies – whether it's the Universal originals or the Hammer remakes – but I'm also apprehensive about the new series. One problem I have is that all of the films will occur in the same contemporary time period, whereas the original stories took place at different points in history. Frankenstein is a product of early 19th century Romanticism, and the plot is very much grounded in the post-Enlightenment philosophy and anatomical science of that age. Dracula and The Invisible Man are both specimens of late Victorian literature. The Mummy really needs to occur in the 1920s, as that was the decade of the Howard Carter expedition that uncovered the tomb of Tutankhamen. I suppose The Wolf Man can take place in any time period, but it works best in an Edwardian setting similar to The Hound of the Baskervilles. The Creature from the Black Lagoon isn't tied to any specific era either, but I always associate it with the 1950s.

But with all these new films set in the modern day, I can't help feeling some of the atmosphere and gothic flavour will be lost. The speculative science behind Griffin's invisibility formula and Dr. Jekyll's serum will seem redundant in the 21st century. And do we really need to have Dr. Jekyll making a cameo in a mummy film? Perhaps they can find a way of updating the material to make it work, but right now I'm just not as enthusiastic about the project as I'd like to be.

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 11 Apr  2017, 23:15It's not like Marvel doesn't have a pattern of lackluster cinematic villains.  ;)

I'd love it if Keaton's Vulture was the one to break that trend, but I'm not holding my breath.