Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 1 Jun 2016, 20:18

Previous topic - Next topic
It was announced a while back that the Hulk would be appearing in this movie. Now the latest rumours are suggesting the plot will be a mixture of the original Ragnarok storyline from the Thor comics and Greg Pak's Planet Hulk saga.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I'm a much bigger fan of the Hulk than I am of Thor, so his presence is a major draw for me. But I really love the Plant Hulk storyline - in fact it's probably my favourite Hulk comic ever - and I was hoping they'd adapt it into a standalone film. A sort of Spartacus meets Star Wars affair. Since Marvel Studios currently lacks the rights to Silver Surfer, I can see how they might use Thor to fill his place in the narrative. But I'm not keen on the idea of throwing in elements from Planet Hulk as subplot material in a Thor movie. I'd prefer they gave Thor a cameo in a proper Planet Hulk adaptation.

But we'll see how it pans out. I think it already sounds more promising than the first two Thor films.

Yeah, if they play their cards right, this Thor could easily be the best out of the bunch.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Natalie Portman won't return as Jane Foster, Tessa Thompson from Creed will be Thor's new love interest.

Source: http://nerdist.com/thor-ragnarok-natalie-portman-tessa-thompson/

I can't help but feel it would've been more dramatic if Jane was killed off in Thor: The Dark World, instead of Frigga.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 10:34
I can't help but feel it would've been more dramatic if Jane was killed off in Thor: The Dark World, instead of Frigga.
None of the franchise's fans seem to particularly like Jane, so her death wouldn't have had any of the same resonance.  Plus, Frigga's death served the narrative because it was all about getting Loki, who genuinely loved his adopted mother, to re-team with Thor.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  1 Jun  2016, 20:18
It was announced a while back that the Hulk would be appearing in this movie. Now the latest rumours are suggesting the plot will be a mixture of the original Ragnarok storyline from the Thor comics and Greg Pak's Planet Hulk saga.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I'm a much bigger fan of the Hulk than I am of Thor, so his presence is a major draw for me. But I really love the Plant Hulk storyline - in fact it's probably my favourite Hulk comic ever - and I was hoping they'd adapt it into a standalone film. A sort of Spartacus meets Star Wars affair. Since Marvel Studios currently lacks the rights to Silver Surfer, I can see how they might use Thor to fill his place in the narrative. But I'm not keen on the idea of throwing in elements from Planet Hulk as subplot material in a Thor movie. I'd prefer they gave Thor a cameo in a proper Planet Hulk adaptation.

But we'll see how it pans out. I think it already sounds more promising than the first two Thor films.

I don't think we'll see another solo Hulk film any time soon as Marvel doesn't have solo distribution rights so we'll likely see him as a supporting character for the forseeable future. I too am a big hulk fan and rather indifferent to Thor (I'll still go see his films but IMO he is the weak sister of the initial 4 avengers). Planet Hulk was a great comic but it might be hard to adapt to the big screen when you consider there is very little Bruce Banner and so Ruffalo wouldn't get much screen time.

I'll be excited for it though since they were the only two not in civil war.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 13:41
Plus, Frigga's death served the narrative because it was all about getting Loki, who genuinely loved his adopted mother, to re-team with Thor.

The scenes between Russo and Hiddleston were the only ones I felt had any real dramatic weight behind them in Thor: The Dark World.

Quote from: riddler on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 14:39
I don't think we'll see another solo Hulk film any time soon as Marvel doesn't have solo distribution rights so we'll likely see him as a supporting character for the forseeable future. I too am a big hulk fan and rather indifferent to Thor (I'll still go see his films but IMO he is the weak sister of the initial 4 avengers). Planet Hulk was a great comic but it might be hard to adapt to the big screen when you consider there is very little Bruce Banner and so Ruffalo wouldn't get much screen time.

Good points. How do you think this film will position Hulk for the Infinity Wars, riddler? Planet Hulk segued into World War Hulk (not as a good a story, IMO), but will something similar happen in the MCU? It seems unlikely Banner will lead an attack on Earth after the events of Thor: Ragnarok. But I'm wondering if he'll refuse to help defend Earth from Thanos. Perhaps Thanos will even trick him into helping him. I guess it all depends which elements they take from Planet Hulk. But if they adapt the plot points concerning Hulk's exile and ostracization at the hands of humanity, then I could maybe see him turning against Earth in its time of need.

I certainly hope Caiera and the rest of the Warbound will appear.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 17:05
The scenes between Russo and Hiddleston were the only ones I felt had any real dramatic weight behind them in Thor: The Dark World.
I pretty much agree. :)  Thank goodness for those scenes and Russo and Hiddleston's fine work.

Frigga's murder at the hands of Malekith is so far arguably the most affecting on-screen death we've yet seen in the MCU (most of the other deaths have involved villains or characters with limited screen-time, or have taken place off-screen).

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 17:05
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 13:41
Plus, Frigga's death served the narrative because it was all about getting Loki, who genuinely loved his adopted mother, to re-team with Thor.

Quote from: riddler on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 14:39

Good points. How do you think this film will position Hulk for the Infinity Wars, riddler? Planet Hulk segued into World War Hulk (not as a good a story, IMO), but will something similar happen in the MCU? It seems unlikely Banner will lead an attack on Earth after the events of Thor: Ragnarok. But I'm wondering if he'll refuse to help defend Earth from Thanos. Perhaps Thanos will even trick him into helping him. I guess it all depends which elements they take from Planet Hulk. But if they adapt the plot points concerning Hulk's exile and ostracization at the hands of humanity, then I could maybe see him turning against Earth in its time of need.

I certainly hope Caiera and the rest of the Warbound will appear.

I could kind of see the Hulk go all out and rage a war against humanity. So far he's been seen kind of as an unwilling pawn. He's not as controlled as the other characters and was living peacefully until SHIELD recruited him. Knowing that SHIELD had eyes on him all alone, I wonder if he's angry they didn't jump in to help out when Ross was hunting him for all those years? Or for that matter half the Avengers aligning with Ross during the civil war.

I'd have to read planet hulk and world war hulk again to decide. Perhaps grey hulk or red hulk? Maybe even Jennifer walters and the she hulk?

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 13:41None of the franchise's fans seem to particularly like Jane, so her death wouldn't have had any of the same resonance.  Plus, Frigga's death served the narrative because it was all about getting Loki, who genuinely loved his adopted mother, to re-team with Thor.
I liked Jane quite a bit. Thor 2 was kinda drab for her character though and a little too much in general. Have a very great day you and everyone!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Quote from: Dagenspear on Sat,  4 Jun  2016, 00:25
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 13:41None of the franchise's fans seem to particularly like Jane, so her death wouldn't have had any of the same resonance.  Plus, Frigga's death served the narrative because it was all about getting Loki, who genuinely loved his adopted mother, to re-team with Thor.
I liked Jane quite a bit. Thor 2 was kinda drab for her character though and a little too much in general. Have a very great day you and everyone!

God bless you! God bless everyone!
I was being a little glib about Jane because I quite like Natalie Portman's performance in the part.  But judging from most of the comments online, not many others did care for it, or her character.