Music Composer Bernard Hermann inspired Danny Elfman's Batman Theme

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Thu, 20 Aug 2009, 04:17

Previous topic - Next topic
Music Composer Bernard Hermann inspired Danny Elfman in the creation of The Batman Theme.  Listen to this video sample.  It's from the 1959 film, "Journey to the Center of the Earth." The music cue is  "Mountain Top/ Sunrise.

Danny has always said that Hermann was an inspiration. It's great to finally hear something that would have been a direct influence.

Great find Bats  ;)

Nice find.

Elfman's Batman Theme is massively iconic and without doubt definitive. Instantly recognisable and identifiable with the character.

I like the Returns score equally as much, but I feel that's more about maintaining a sinister mood. Which it does fantastically. What I love most about the Batman89 score is that it has themes to key re-occuring Batman moments. Example - music for: Batman himself, when Bruce lays flowers, the batcave, Bruce brooding about his parents death, etc.

20 years on, it still is the best. Just felt like stating that fact.

Yeah, Elfman has said in interviews how much he loves Hermann's work and what a great influence he had on his music. It's true that this score was an inspiration for the Batman theme, the similarity is obvious! I also hear some Goldenthal in there (namely Titus and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within). Hermann, like Morricone, were ahead of their time when it comes to film music.

Quote from: silenig on Thu, 20 Aug  2009, 13:54
Hermann, like Morricone, were ahead of their time when it comes to film music.

you said it. Fahrenheit 451 has one of my favourite pieces in it.

Interesting...  I also remember some one also comparing part of the music of The Wolf Man to the theme. It was pretty close too.

Quote from: ral on Thu, 20 Aug  2009, 15:15
Quote from: silenig on Thu, 20 Aug  2009, 13:54
Hermann, like Morricone, were ahead of their time when it comes to film music.

you said it. Fahrenheit 451 has one of my favourite pieces in it.

Funny, I first watched this film pretty recently, this year. A powerful movie and it has a great score.

Elfmans theme will always be the most iconic superhero theme ever for me though Williams Superman theme was equally as good.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Anyone know where I can get the Animated Series Soundtrack?

I think La-La Land is sold out, so you should probably try e-bay. I missed it too. :'(
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?