Do you think Batman Forever would have been better if Keaton had returned?

Started by Shan45, Fri, 17 Jul 2009, 03:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Batman Forever would have been better if Keaton had returned?

Yes, it would be better
19 (61.3%)
No, it would be not
12 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Kilmer wanted to play Batman similer to the same way Keaton did while Schumacher wanted to the complete opposite, Which was one of there many reasons to fight.

Had Keaton have decided to stay - the script would no doubt have been different. Keaton was getting a big paycheck and had a lot of clout.

With Burton gone though i would say he didn't see any point in staying to fight for revisions, so i suppose it's a mute point.

But yeah, as much as i like some parts of Forever - I think it would have been different...

I agree with Ral.  Keaton in BF would be duct taping the Titanic's hull back together after it smacked the iceburg.  It would be a waste of time and whatever minor changes it made wouldn't affect the basic outcome all that much.

Besides, it would unnecessarily link the movie to Burton's films.  The way that it is now, I can at least sort of pretend that B89 and BR went down in Burton's world and the Joel Shlockmaker movies took place in a parallel universe or something.

While I would have loved to see Keaton again, no doubt his presence would soften the blow, however I must agree with my compatriots' general consensus that

A) Minor changes made at the behest of Keaton would still leave Joel the director's whose primary vision would decide the outcome of the film

and B) That outcome would have been bad for Keaton's rep.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 17 Jul  2009, 16:44
Besides, it would unnecessarily link the movie to Burton's films.  The way that it is now, I can at least sort of pretend that B89 and BR went down in Burton's world and the Joel Shlockmaker movies took place in a parallel universe or something.

Couldn't agree more.

No I dont think it wouldnt have been better because I think with Schmacher in charge Keaton would not have had any input into the character, story or tone of the film.

Schmacher was in chanrge and I get the feeling it was his way or no way.

I think this is one of the main reasons Keaton bailed!

They(Warner) were willing give Keaton 35 million to do this film. Any qualms that Keaton had were going to be heard indefinitely, because the powerful influence he exerted.  If Keaton wanted his batman to be darker, no doubt in my mind, Warner would let him do his thing.

I also think there were some parts of Batman Forever that could have fit Keaton's Batman very well. For example, when BW is explaining to Dick Grayson about revenge, and why he (Batman) is going to retire, that was a very dark and truthful scene.

At the same time, I have a hard time imagining Keaton's Batman saying "I'll get drive through" for an opening line.

I think the scene where Bruce Wayne tells Chase about his parent's murder would have fit Keaton well, too..

Quote from: Batmoney on Fri, 17 Jul  2009, 21:34
I also think there were some parts of Batman Forever that could have fit Keaton's Batman very well. For example, when BW is explaining to Dick Grayson about revenge, and why he (Batman) is going to retire, that was a very dark and truthful scene.

At the same time, I have a hard time imagining Keaton's Batman saying "I'll get drive through" for an opening line.
I have a feeling he would have refused to say that line no matter how much he was being paid.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.