References to the films in the comics

Started by Azrael, Sat, 4 Apr 2009, 07:49

Previous topic - Next topic
Mon, 13 Aug 2012, 23:53 #40 Last Edit: Sat, 27 Oct 2012, 20:55 by SilentEnigma
Note: this reply was written before I found there was a thread devoted to this story LINK

I got a certain BR vibe from Penguin: Pride & Prejudice (a 5-issue mini series released a few months ago). Some reviews have pointed out the similarities.

- It opens up with his birth. The difference is that his father is disgusted, but his mother loves him.
- Visually his design is a bit similar to De Vito. Beaked nose, long black coat, top hat. The only difference that he has hands and not flippers.
- There's this panel below with a direct reference. Very Burton-like.
- The climax is an all-out attack on Gotham (especially, quoting the book, "your cruel little children") using rockets that control the behaviour of birds.
- I don't know if there's an official Penguin logo, but the font used for the book's title is exactly the same as "Penguin Triumphant", a one-shot comic that came out in 1992 to coincide with the release of Batman Returns.

Fri, 15 Feb 2013, 19:26 #41 Last Edit: Thu, 19 Oct 2017, 04:45 by Azrael
Art by Paul Gulacy, published in 2005. Contains numerous visual references to the films, including the Batwing itself (from Forever).

Smallville Season 11 # 32 (click to enlarge)

Silver, can you pinpoint the exact issue/page/panel where Batman used the non-suction cup grappling hook pistol for the very first time?

(If you haven't already)

Unfortunately I don't have a visual but the Hush storyline does; in the batcave there are panels of the West, Keaton, and Bale batmobiles

Quote from: Furstmobile on Sun,  6 Jul  2014, 17:55
Silver, can you pinpoint the exact issue/page/panel where Batman used the non-suction cup grappling hook pistol for the very first time?

(If you haven't already)

I can't say with absolute certainty, but I think this scene from A Lonely Place of Dying (1989) might be the earliest instance of him using a handheld grapple gun (not counting the Batzooka from the TV show or the aforementioned suction cup version from the sixties). The precise issue this appeared in was 'Batman: Year Three, Part III: Parallel Lines' (Batman #441, November 1989).

I can't offhand recall an earlier example than this, but I'm open to correction.

I was reading a three part story called The Penguin Affair recently. Part two showed a scene where Batman beats up two grave-robbers who resemble a lot like Eddie and Nick - the two creeps we see in the beginning of B89 (as seen in Detective Comics #615).

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

From Batman Vol 3 #25:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/07/06/dc-rebirth-comic-pays-tribute-to-tim-burtons-batman-movie

QuoteIn an interview with The Washington Post, writer Tom King revealed that he had a specific goal in mind with this cinematic homage. "We're trying to elevate Riddler the way that movie elevated the Joker," King said. "Sort of be a villain worthy of that much attention."

Writer Sean Gordon Murphy has revealed the Joker will be called 'Jack Napier' in Batman: White Knight.

Big news: JACK NAPIER will be the name of my JOKER. Warner just approved--1st time Napier has been in a comic (minus Burton adaptations).
https://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy/status/898144563109535745

Of course the name has previously appeared in comics other than the Batman 89 adaptation, as documented elsewhere in this thread. The 'Reipan' anagram was featured in 'Images' (Legends of the Dark Knight Vol 1 #50, September 1993). The full name 'Jack Napier' was referenced in:

•   Batman: Gotham Noir (March 2001)
•   Michael Uslan's Batman: Detective No. 27 (December 2003)
•    'The Origin of the Joker' (Countdown Vol 1 #31, September 2007)

The name 'Jack' (but not 'Napier') was also used in Batman: Lovers & Madmen (Batman Confidential Vol 1 #7-12, September 2007-February 2008). There may be other instances that have slipped my mind, but the point is the name has featured in comics other than the movie adaptation.

Fri, 18 Aug 2017, 01:10 #48 Last Edit: Sat, 10 Nov 2018, 08:57 by The Laughing Fish
EDIT: Double post.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

This is cool - the latest issue of DC Rebirth's Batman (issue #33) appears to pay homage to the Knightmare Batman from BvS.