Supergirl (CBS)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 20 Sep 2014, 16:30

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  2 Feb  2018, 02:53
Supergirl sucks and it continues the downplaying of Superman's importance.

I shouldn't really comment any more on Hoechlin's Superman because I haven't kept up after watching his first appearance on Supergirl, but it makes me laugh that all these Cavill detractors who praise the TV version as "fun, hopeful and how Superman should be" now have to accept that this Superman appears to continue the tradition of killing Zod. It goes to show that if you only value Superman because of how much he smiles and how happy he is, then you seriously have no real understanding of the character. To say it's superficial is an understatement at this point. What puzzles me is when I watched the Reeve movies, it wasn't because of how "hopeful" or how "happy" he was, so it makes this fuss even more mind-boggling.

Nonetheless, if these same detractors still crapped on about Superman in JL despite being as close to what they were expecting, then they can go and get !@#%#^. Useless fools who can't make up their own minds.

Quote from: riddler on Fri,  2 Feb  2018, 23:02
I see your point and I would agree with you if the CW/WB had a live Batman show but it seems they are purposely holding back their two biggest characters from getting their own shows. I still remember Fan expo 2012 when I got to see the premier episode of Arrow and the ensuing panel. The question was asked 'why the Green Arrow' and the answer was that they wanted to explore a character who's mythology hasn't been overly touched in live action.

I don't think it's a great show, for me it's watchable but I do think the way it is set up, the dynamics work better for Supergirl instead of Super man. Kara is portrayed as a heavily flawed character stuck in her cousin's shadow who's work and personal life are always a mess. Clark on the other hand is a well established reporter and has a strong relationship with Lois. This is why Supergirl may be the more interesting character.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the idea of Superman taking a backseat to Supergirl. It's her own show after all, and there have been comics where she kicks his ass. The problem I have with Hoechlin's portrayal, from what I saw, is he appears to be a response to the reactionary fans whose knowledge in Superman doesn't extend beyond Chris Reeve.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: riddler on Fri,  2 Feb  2018, 23:02
I don't think it's a great show, for me it's watchable but I do think the way it is set up, the dynamics work better for Supergirl instead of Super man. Kara is portrayed as a heavily flawed character stuck in her cousin's shadow who's work and personal life are always a mess. Clark on the other hand is a well established reporter and has a strong relationship with Lois. This is why Supergirl may be the more interesting character.
The writers shove their liberal agenda down the audience's throats whenever and wherever they can. I won't get into all the references and sly digs, but there's plenty. Fire up your Google search engine and take a look if you're interested. I'm someone who wouldn't mind watching a female centric show with the lead character kicking ass and dealing with everyday life. If that's all it was, I'd support it with open arms. But when the SJW avalanche comes into play, I check out. I'm just not interested in this 'socially acceptable' narrative.