Facebook
twitter

Author Topic: Outrage culture  (Read 124 times)

Offline The Laughing Fish

• Gotham Citizen
  • Winged Avenger
  • Forum posts: 2,288
  • Image uploads: 37
  • "But the fish share my unique face!"
    • View Profile
Outrage culture
« on: Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 03:05 »
The hyperbolic criticism surrounding these DC films never ceases to amaze. I'm revisiting the sexist accusations towards Justice League's treatment of women, specifically Wonder Woman and the Amazons. I've seen a lot of people complain about the silly sex joke where Flash quickly got up after lying on top of Diana during their first confrontation with Steppenwolf.

So why didn't critics complain when Joss Whedon used the same joke with Bruce Banner and Black Widow in Avengers: Age of Ultron?

Now yes, I do remember that Whedon got a lot of hate online for how he wrote Black Widow in that movie and he had to leave Twitter for a period of time because of this. But the critics otherwise gave the entire movie a pass. I never saw any outcry from the media either.

I've also noticed critics have complained that JL used "butt" shots whenever Diana appears on screen. Well then I've must've not paid much attention, because I didn't think any scenes were any more gratuitous than a naked Steve Trevor covering up his junk while talking to Diana in the bathtub scene in the WW movie. Same thing goes for the Amazons' costumes look any remotely different to what we saw before.

But I'm curious, were there any scenes that made you think it was totally inappropriate? Are any of these criticisms justified to you?

Jonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Offline riddler

• Gotham Citizen
  • Dark Detective
  • Forum posts: 1,243
  • Image uploads: 1
  • ?????????????????????????
    • View Profile
    • my forum
Re: Outrage culture
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 15:46 »
Diana was one of the better characters in this movie, I haven't found her portrayal as sexist or gratuitous in any of her three film appearances.

With Natasha Romanoff, I think the criticisms on her portrayal may stem from the fact that for a trained SHIELD assassin, she gets flirty fairly easily. Stark, Rogers, Barton, and Banner all have moments of sexual tension with her.

It's another case of seeing one thing, and extrapolating it far beyond such as looking at the closeup shots in Batman and Robin and claiming the movie must have a gay agenda.

Offline The Laughing Fish

• Gotham Citizen
  • Winged Avenger
  • Forum posts: 2,288
  • Image uploads: 37
  • "But the fish share my unique face!"
    • View Profile
Re: Outrage culture
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 Feb 2018, 02:29 »
With Natasha Romanoff, I think the criticisms on her portrayal may stem from the fact that for a trained SHIELD assassin, she gets flirty fairly easily. Stark, Rogers, Barton, and Banner all have moments of sexual tension with her.

My issue with that criticism is being flirty doesn't necessarily make the characters demeaning. If that were the case, James Bond should be considered as the biggest whore in fiction.

I remember when AOU came out, fans on Twitter, and many of which I noticed had Tumblr blogs fantacising a romantic relationship between Black Widow and Hawkeye, got upset that Black Widow referred to herself as a monster because she couldn't give birth. This led to Whedon getting accused for being sexist. But I never saw it that way. The film showed us that Natasha was programmed and trained as an assassin from a very young age, and her getting sterilised was part of her initiative, and if memory serves me well, it was to make her obey as a killing machine. Natasha felt her own humanity was being stripped away from her and hence, that's why she felt she had become a monster. Man, Black Widow has a lot of material to explore for a film, and the longer the MCU waits to actually make one, the most likely the opportunity will be lost.

But putting that aside, it was only the fans that complained AOU was sexist. Critics, on the other hand, didn't have that complaint. They certainly never threw AOU under the bus over the humour, as they did for JL.

Jonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Not a member? Click here to register now!
Latest Forum Post
Re: Krypton (SyFy TV Series)
by The Dark Knight
Total Members: 712 | Total Posts: 50,359 | Total Topics: 3,206

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
| Design based on the Reference theme by Crip XHTML RSS WAP2 iPhone Theme Scrolling News Ticker by Mioplanet
"BATMAN" all related characters indicia are copyrighted by D.C. COMICS, a TIME-WARNER company. Batman created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger.
All features, articles and blogs are © of Batman-Online.com's staff & members (unless otherwise indicated) and may NOT be copied without the author's permission. All artwork is © of respective owners.
This is NOT an official Batman website. Conceived, designed and edited by Paul Rodgers since 1st June 2002. Facebook and twitter feeds maintained by Rick Francis and Azrael.