The Dark Knight Returns animated movie

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 23 May 2012, 20:18

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  2 Apr  2020, 13:15
I never doubted that Batman blew that mutant into the next life. I understand why Oliva fudged that scene a bit in the movie and made it a bit safer. And I do not condemn his decision. It was probably the right call to make considering the format he was working in. But let's be real, that chick was a goner.

It's a great moment in the comic and... eh, a decent moment in the (otherwise awesome) movie.
It's ambiguous but I'm inclined to say Batman didn't kill the guy.

When you look at the entirety of TDK Returns we see him:

Using rubber bullets from the Batmobile.
Angrily snapping a gun in half.
Calling guns loud and clumsy, the weapon of the enemy.
And a gun is described as a liar and coward's weapon.

Therefore I think the film handled the moment perfectly, because they had to show SOMETHING. Batman uses a gun to shoot another gun, which remains in line with the rhetoric and conduct from the comic.

This is another reason why I prefer the comic, because it puts the outcome onto the reader. Perhaps Batman did kill the mutant, as the life of a child is a special circumstance and one very close to his heart.

Wasn't sure where the best place was to post this. But this is from Wizard #54, speculative casting about a TDKR film made in the Nineties. Aside from a sort of tasteless joke about Reagan, it's actually a pretty good column. And (otherwise) a pretty credible cast.

That is a pretty solid casting job. The older I get the more I resonate with TDK Returns. Not just because the world I see in the comic is what I'm seeing outside my own front door. But because like Miller, I like the idea of bumping Batman's age up to be older than me - as he always had been.

I particularly like the idea of a mid-1990's Ed Harris playing the TDKR Harvey Dent/Two-Face.

That would have been pretty awesome actually.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."