Official: Disney buys Fox

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 12:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Source: https://investorplace.com/2017/12/disney-buys-fox-in-its-largest-deal-ever/#.WjO3X1Vl-M8

This means that not only Disney has bought the rights of Hollywood franchises such as X-Men, Avatar, Simpsons and so on, but it strengthens their plans to start their wide range of streaming services in the next few years. More than likely to compete with Netflix.

But whether or not this means a lot of content will be watered down with family friendly material, as some detractors online have pointed out, remains to be seen.

On a sidenote: Marvel fans have finally gotten their wish regarding X-Men joining the MCU, but I've seen the Fox fans complain Marvel-Disney will water down the movies that are known for their supposed political and social themes. Personally, I don't care about this news and I'm not invested in any side of the argument. I've only seen Deadpool, but otherwise I gave up on the overrated X-Men a while ago after watching First Class and The Wolverine, and I have no interest in ever watching Apocalypse or Logan (I don't give a damn how much acclaim the latter has, it does not appeal to me at all). But at the same time, I'm not too confident that the MCU will do X-Men any justice either given what I think of their track record this year.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Now that Jackman is out, I don't see the harm in rebooting X-Men to make it more MCU-friendly. Mind you, the older I get, the less sense some aspects of the X-Men make to me in the context of a shared universe. But whatever. Now's the time for a reboot.

A non-ridiculous Fantastic Four is on the docket too.

As to the rest, could this open the door to the original unaltered Star Wars trilogy being released by Disney? In theory, yes. The last obvious legal hurdle has now been cleared. So unless Lucas inserted a clause in the Disney buyout that the oh-riginal trilogy can never be released, there should be nothing standing in Disney's way.

This idea of Disney "watering down" anything is kind of absurd though. Maybe I'm just cynical these days but I regard Disney as the evil empire. I wouldn't want children to watch most of the rot they produce.

I'm thinking they'll either dissolve Touchstone Pictures into 20th Century Fox or run them concurrently (much like Hollywood, Touchstone, and I believe Miramax in the 90s), but I doubt this is the end of Alfred Newman's iconic fanfare. However, this will impact film output. For example, I wonder if we'll still see Ridley Scott's next Alien/Prometheus film or if we'll get a reboot that focuses. Of course, X-Men, Deadpool, and related films will shifted to Marvel's division, leaving Fox without a huge chunk of its big franchises under its division.

However, I'm very curious if this will have any effect on their home video distribution of MGM titles.

What next? The "Disney of Japan", Nintendo?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 17 Dec  2017, 17:29
Now that Jackman is out, I don't see the harm in rebooting X-Men to make it more MCU-friendly. Mind you, the older I get, the less sense some aspects of the X-Men make to me in the context of a shared universe. But whatever. Now's the time for a reboot.

The upcoming X-Men movies, Dark Phoenix and The New Mutants, are apparently pushed back for another year. It wouldn't surprise me that Disney has something to do with that.

If it was up to me though, I'd stop with X-Men altogether. I don't know how you can introduce them in the MCU narrative, unless the Infinity Stones in Avengers 4 results in some changes to the timeline or whatever.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  1 Apr  2018, 02:14The upcoming X-Men movies, Dark Phoenix and The New Mutants, are apparently pushed back for another year. It wouldn't surprise me that Disney has something to do with that.

If it was up to me though, I'd stop with X-Men altogether. I don't know how you can introduce them in the MCU narrative, unless the Infinity Stones in Avengers 4 results in some changes to the timeline or whatever.
There's a lot to be said for keeping X-Men off to the side, in a separate universe.

But wow, Dark Phoenix has been pushed back a year? Guess I hadn't heard that.

Honestly, X-Men is the only movie series I have any real affection for anymore. And even that isn't guaranteed. It's not the most consistent franchise but it has demonstrated an ability to bounce back on a creative level which the MCU hasn't managed and which the DCEU has yet to attempt. So now that I think about it, I withdraw my previous comment about rebooting the X-Men. Maybe we should just leave it alone and let it run its course.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  1 Apr  2018, 02:24
Honestly, X-Men is the only movie series I have any real affection for anymore. And even that isn't guaranteed. It's not the most consistent franchise but it has demonstrated an ability to bounce back on a creative level which the MCU hasn't managed and which the DCEU has yet to attempt. So now that I think about it, I withdraw my previous comment about rebooting the X-Men. Maybe we should just leave it alone and let it run its course.

I'm the opposite. I just prefer to let it run its course and end. But now Marvel has the rights back, you know it's not going to happen.

I'm sure most people following this are aware that Comcast are trying to hijack the deal. I believe that's the corporation that owns NBC.

Meanwhile, nearby where I live, Disney strengthens its hold as a monopoly by securing a deal with a local sports stadium known for corporate naming changes - now called Marvel Stadium.  ::)

Source: https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/05/24/07/59/etihad-stadium-renamed-marvel-stadium