Avengers: Infinity War

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 29 Nov 2017, 14:43

Previous topic - Next topic
On television I think DC is producing the better shows. Marvel has 3 failures (Inhumans, the Gifted, Peggy Carter) to DC's 2 (Constantine and Powerless)Now daredevil is better than any of the current DC shows but on average, the DC shows are higher quality than the other netflix shows (I'm not far enough into the Punisher to give it a grade but it looks promising). And none of the current slate of DC shows are as bad as the Iron fist, not to mention how DC's team up shows are better than the Defenders.

On the big screen though, how on earth could anyone say the DCEU is holding a candle to the MCU? Nitpick at little things such as the reliance on jokes or 'fun' Marvel doesn't have these production problems with every film requiring a directors cut to give us a glimpse of what should have been. Three times they had issues with actors and all three times handled it with aplomb; Samuel L. Jacksons participation was in doubt going forward after the first Iron Man so Marvel locked him up to a nine picture contract. Terrance Howard and Edward Norton became too difficult to deal with and yet both times the actors replacing them were better received. You don't hear people gazing into the stars on how Civil War with Terrance Howard or Ragnarok with Ed Norton would have been because we're glad to have Don Cheadle and Mark Ruffalo as Rhodey and Banner. And these were all within the first two films so clearly Marvel has learned how to keep continuity with it's actors. Meanwhile the rumour mill on Affleck's status in the DCEU moves as fast as the Enquirer.

Those rooting for the DCEU to continue (and I'm one of them) should be rooting for Affleck to stay in the role. The DCEU as it stands is crafted and built around Batman. Affleck may well be the lynchpin holding the DCEU together and his departure may signal the end.

As for Infinity War, I hadn't been as hyped about this one due to the drop in quality in Age of Ultron but seeing the trailer got me built up again. I do worry about it being over stuffed due to the amount of characters but this is being split into two films (which should have happened with Justice League).

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  1 Dec  2017, 00:57
Good video. Very true....and here's another one - do you tell Silver Nemesis how to post? Nope. You let him work his magic.

I'm afraid I've sold out. From now, all my posts will be subject to the approval of focus groups and market research analysts. I will not express any opinion unless its tone is calibrated towards the popular consensus and/or corporate interests.

Hence forth, I shall be known as... Shill-ver Nemesis.

Quote from: riddler on Fri,  1 Dec  2017, 07:23
Those rooting for the DCEU to continue (and I'm one of them) should be rooting for Affleck to stay in the role. The DCEU as it stands is crafted and built around Batman. Affleck may well be the lynchpin holding the DCEU together and his departure may signal the end.
The worst case scenario for Batfleck is if the DCEU ends altogether. A better scenario would be if Affleck appears in Flashpoint, where he's 'de-aged' into his replacement. And then Matt Reeves starts his trilogy with that new actor. I think that's what could end up happening. At the end of the day I'm a DC guy and I'll always be a DC guy. But as a big Snyder fan I'm hurt by the amount of scenes removed. I'll be waiting to see what they do with the home video release. I'm sure it'll be another Suicide Squad extended cut situation...which would be better than nothing I suppose.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri,  1 Dec  2017, 22:56
I'm afraid I've sold out. From now, all my posts will be subject to the approval of focus groups and market research analysts. I will not express any opinion unless its tone is calibrated towards the popular consensus and/or corporate interests.

Hence forth, I shall be known as... Shill-ver Nemesis.

Don't say any more. This isn't true. It CANNOT be true.

Oh, and what do I want for Christmas? Colors' posting privileges in the general discussion threads to be RE-INSTATED.

The Wayne Pepsi gif made me lol. I needed a laugh today.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  2 Dec  2017, 01:31Oh, and what do I want for Christmas? Colors' posting privileges in the general discussion threads to be RE-INSTATED.
Not much chance of that, I don't think.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  1 Dec  2017, 04:10
Everybody has a breaking point. You can only be verbally abused for so long before you say forget about it and move on.

We're talking about people who get paid millions of dollars to play dress-up for a living. I realize that. But at the same time, abuse is abuse. A man's got to know his limitations. I'll miss Affleck if he calls it a day. But I'll understand.

Hey, it would definitely be understandable if Affleck suffered from similar circumstances as Snyder did. The fact that Snyder still gets abused after disclosing his personal loss is outrageous and utterly despicable; in fact, Snyder even admitted he wanted to keep it a secret because he didn't want the vultures to take potshots at his loss. But I think anybody with a conscience and an ounce of compassion accepts his decision, and the same would be said if Affleck, or any other actor in this franchise, had the same experience.

But as I said, quitting just because of these pigs for their pathetic, hypocritical tirades only enables them. Scumbags like that Rotten Tomatoes editor-in-chief must be reviled for declaring a cast and crew should punch each other in the face for making a movie. Not to have their egos bolstered if the main star leaves. Because if that were to happen, that would only validate the narrative created by these pigs that the DCEU is utterly worthless. They ought to be fought against, not to concede defeat and let the fans down.

With that said, I guess it's a sad indictment of the entertainment industry nowadays. Not only is the business is rife with sexual abuse, it's also a tacit advocate of bullying, both behind closed doors and among the critic community. Particularly bullying those who made certain creative choices, even though they gave other directors a pass for doing the same thing or worse.

One of these days, I'll give up on mainstream cinema altogether. Absolute degenerates of the highest order.

Quote from: riddler on Fri,  1 Dec  2017, 07:23
On the big screen though, how on earth could anyone say the DCEU is holding a candle to the MCU? Nitpick at little things such as the reliance on jokes or 'fun' Marvel doesn't have these production problems with every film requiring a directors cut to give us a glimpse of what should have been.

I've been a fan of the MCU for six years, but as I said before, their over-reliance on cheap humour nowadays is hurting their films. But if Black Panther and Infinity War turn out as half as good as The Winter Soldier or even the Phase One films, I'll be delighted. Time will tell.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I honestly can't say the teaser did a whole hell of a lot in getting me excited about seeing Avengers: Infinity War.

Maybe it's because of my growing indifference, or my memories of reading Marvel comics back in the 1990's and always feeling very passive on the story line itself, or it may just be the fact that the two Avengers movies we have now aren't films I tend to want to re-visit all that much.

Given the nature of the story this movie is taking inspiration from, I would assume the tone will be less comedically cheerful than what the MCU typically provides, but to what degree? As it's not too difficult to imagine all of these character's taking turns making sarcastic/snarky quips all throughout the "Infinity War". Especially so after watching the recent Thor Ragnorak movie. Which was intentionally more comedic than that other Thor & Hulk team up movie, "The Incredible Hulk Returns" from the late 1980's!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu,  7 Dec  2017, 01:10

I honestly can't say the teaser did a whole hell of a lot in getting me excited about seeing Avengers: Infinity War.

Maybe it's because of my growing indifference, or my memories of reading Marvel comics back in the 1990's and always feeling very passive on the story line itself, or it may just be the fact that the two Avengers movies we have now aren't films I tend to want to re-visit all that much.

I can still watch the first Avengers film more than once. Age of Ultron? Not so much. I tried to watch it again last year, and I found it to be a chore. It has some good parts in it, but I find the film too boring and an inferior rehash of the first film.

Quote from: The Joker on Thu,  7 Dec  2017, 01:10
Given the nature of the story this movie is taking inspiration from, I would assume the tone will be less comedically cheerful than what the MCU typically provides, but to what degree? As it's not too difficult to imagine all of these character's taking turns making sarcastic/snarky quips all throughout the "Infinity War". Especially so after watching the recent Thor Ragnorak movie. Which was intentionally more comedic than that other Thor & Hulk team up movie, "The Incredible Hulk Returns" from the late 1980's!

I'd like to think the film will buck the trend, but then again, the trailer for Age of Ultron had a dark and ominous tone too, and the film ended being too safe than what was promised. More so with Iron Man 3. But who knows, Infinity War is supposed to up the stakes, surely Marvel can't cop out with lazy comedy now.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  2 Dec  2017, 02:21
The Wayne Pepsi gif made me lol. I needed a laugh today.
I'm always up for a laugh. But Pepsi isn't better than Coke. That's where I er, draw the line.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  2 Dec  2017, 01:31Oh, and what do I want for Christmas? Colors' posting privileges in the general discussion threads to be RE-INSTATED.
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  2 Dec  2017, 02:21
Not much chance of that, I don't think.
At first I just wanted my two front teeth. But as you know, I'm always thinking of other people. I'm nice like that. I was sitting by the campfire and remembered your posting privileges being revoked. I thought this ain't fair man. This ain't right man. This ain't (insert some other word) man.

Anyway, my fellow smelly BO'ers, I probably won't be around that much from here on out. I'm going to be spending time in New York and Washington DC the next couple of months. So if I don't post often for a while you'll know why. And with that, I wish Merry Christmas to all and goodnight.

https://movieweb.com/infinity-war-movie-daredevil-cameo-lego-set/

I'd love it if this was included in the movie. It would mark the first time the theatrical side of the MCU had bothered to acknowledge Daredevil's existence. Wishful thinking on my part, but what if Easter eggs like this were paving the way for the Defenders to appear in the Infinity War sequel? Marvel Studios must know the fans are getting sick of the Netflix characters being ignored by the films. If they truly want Infinity War to be epic, then they need to include Marvel's greatest hero. Even if it's just a brief cameo.

I'd settle for one or more of the Defenders being approached by the Avengers with an offer and then the Defender(s) decline. I imagine they would all have real and legitimate reasons for saying thanks but no thanks. But simply including them as one-day cameos where it's at least explained WHY they're not around would go a long way.

Then again, part of me kinda likes how the Netflixverse is its own thing. Marvel was that way, especially through the 2000's, where there were sometimes informal boundaries around certain characters or teams. There was a time when Marvel had "the street-level books" which didn't really overlap with the others all that much, although they frequently overlapped with each other.