Avengers: Infinity War

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 29 Nov 2017, 14:43

Previous topic - Next topic

I think it looks great. The MCU hasn't failed me yet. I can't wait to see it.

On a side note: I doubt you'll hear how obvious the CGI is for Hulk and Thanos.  :P

I can't tell if I dislike the MCU these days because of the MCU or if I dislike the MCU these days because the MCU's fans.

Whatever. I guess if someone else buys my ticket, I'll see it. Otherwise this isn't much of a priority.

Still, kudos to them for making a serious trailer. Only half of a joke. Pretty remarkable for the MCU as we near the end of 2017.

A year ago I couldn't imagine saying this, but I don't care if the DCEU ends. In fact, it probably needs to. I can understand where Affleck is coming from if he feels unmotivated. Consider his point of view. He was shamed over BvS. Then he returns for the sequel and films that content, where he no doubt gave it his all. But then he's called BACK to reshoot MORE content.

Pulling this trick on an already weary mind isn't going to make him feel any better, or any more confident in the studio's abilities. If some claim he sleepwalked through the film you know why. It becomes a chore, and the film was critically smashed and underperformed at the box office anyway.

Apart from BvS, I haven't liked the Batman brand's output in recent times.

Return of the Caped Crsuaders? Meh.
Batman v Two Face? Meh.
Batman and Harley Quinn? Meh.
Lego Batman Movie? Meh.
Justice League? Meh.

I feel like the film/animation brand has lost its edge and it probably needs a good break. The only other products I've enjoyed have been Arkham Knight and the Telltale series. I haven't seen a Marvel film in a long time, and I won't start now. But good on them - I have to say that. WB have fumbled around in the dark like amateurs, and that's a big shame.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 30 Nov  2017, 02:10A year ago I couldn't imagine saying this, but I don't care if the DCEU ends. In fact, it probably needs to. I can understand where Affleck is coming from if he feels unmotivated. Consider his point of view. He was shamed over BvS. Then he returns for the sequel and films that content, where he no doubt gave it his all. But then he's called BACK to reshoot MORE content.

Pulling this trick on an already weary mind isn't going to make him feel any better, or any more confident in the studio's abilities. If some claim he sleepwalked through the film you know why. It becomes a chore, and the film was critically smashed and underperformed at the box office anyway.
I think WB started off with the smart move. Be different from Marvel. MOS turned a profit. BVS turned a profit. JL is where they changed horses midstream. And barring a miracle (which is always possible, I suppose), it will tank.

I'm prepared to call the DCEU up to this point a noble failure. And if nothing else, I got two decent Superman movies and one awesome Batman movie out of it.

Artists generally know what they're doing. Maybe next time WB will have a little more faith rather than panic over a vocal minority's temper tantrum.

End of the day, Batman is bigger than Affleck. Batman will survive this. I love Affleck in the role and desperately want him to hang on. But after what he's been put through, I understand. He doesn't need this. He's got a resurgent career without all the grief.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 30 Nov  2017, 03:43
I think WB started off with the smart move. Be different from Marvel. MOS turned a profit. BVS turned a profit.
Yep. I love MoS and BvS. They're fantastic films in terms of visuals, music and themes. But it's abundantly clear to me that those days are over. It's actually quite hard to watch them now knowing how everything turned out afterwards.
JL is where they changed horses midstream.
I think they damaged the integrity of the new universe starting with Suicide Squad. The film was clearly going to be much darker. With each trailer the film's title cards became brighter and brighter. They reshot 'controversial' Joker footage and then insulted out intelligence by saying not much was changed. They pulled the same trick with Justice League. If they stuck to their guns and didn't order reshoots I'd be a very happy camper. But that's not what happened.
Artists generally know what they're doing. Maybe next time WB will have a little more faith rather than panic over a vocal minority's temper tantrum.
Yep. Do you tell Picasso how to paint? Do you tell Elvis how to sing? No. You trust in their abilities. Hiring people and then interfering with their vision annoys everyone involved. Meddling is the biggest problem with WB because I'm convinced SS and JL would've been solid films if the studio didn't get cold feet.
End of the day, Batman is bigger than Affleck. Batman will survive this. I love Affleck in the role and desperately want him to hang on. But after what he's been put through, I understand. He doesn't need this. He's got a resurgent career without all the grief.
The year break before Aquaman hits cinemas is for the best.

Call me unreasonable, but I disagree. You don't give fans false hope and say you're committed to the role, but then call it quits because you're upset over two-faced, hypocritical twat bloggers and critics are taking shots at your work. They should be irrelevant.

It would be understandable if he was agitated by WB's interference, or deeply personal reasons affecting his motivation, of course. It would be even more understandable if there are circumstances that go beyond his control that causes his decision to quit e.g. the studio pulls the plug on the franchise, which wouldn't surprise me as JL is not doing that great at the box office and Aquaman doesn't work out.

But if Affleck goes because he got a bruised ego over a "vocal minority" of naysayers, I'd honestly lose respect for him. That's just admitting defeat when there's no need to.

As for this Infinity War trailer? Never thought I'd ever say I'll lower my expectations to an Avengers movie before, but my mood is coming off from being very disappointed by two of the films that came out this year (I have still not seen Thor Ragnarok, and don't ever intend to). If it promises to be this grand as it appears in this trailer, great. But if it lets me down and dumbs everything down with stupid unfunny gags as we saw this year, count me out.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Good video. Very true....and here's another one - do you tell Silver Nemesis how to post? Nope. You let him work his magic.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 30 Nov  2017, 11:06Call me unreasonable, but I disagree. You don't give fans false hope and say you're committed to the role, but then call it quits because you're upset over two-faced, hypocritical twat bloggers and critics are taking shots at your work. They should be irrelevant.

But if Affleck goes because he got a bruised ego over a "vocal minority" of naysayers, I'd honestly lose respect for him. That's just admitting defeat when there's no need to.
Everybody has a breaking point. You can only be verbally abused for so long before you say forget about it and move on.

We're talking about people who get paid millions of dollars to play dress-up for a living. I realize that. But at the same time, abuse is abuse. A man's got to know his limitations. I'll miss Affleck if he calls it a day. But I'll understand.