Sony's VENOM Movie

Started by The Joker, Fri, 19 May 2017, 23:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Tue,  9 Oct  2018, 00:39
The juvenile nature of the Venom symbiote got on my nerves, along with, I thought, too many MCU humor-type jokes, but atleast there's something there establishing the psycological bond and co-dependance between Eddie and Venom.

I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of this, Joker. But I've seen a few scenes from the movie online, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to skip the rest of it. Not only because it appears to have the same garbage-tier humour that's plaguing the MCU nowadays, but I heard a rumour that Venom was compromised into a PG-13 rating so Sony could regain some hope to tie it together with the MCU, specifically with Tom Holland's Spider-Man. :-[

If that's true, that gives me less motivation to watch it. I would've preferred an R-rated horror film for a change, as it was originally reported.

Quote from: The Joker on Tue,  9 Oct  2018, 00:39
Now the 'critics' who compared VENOM 2018 to Catwoman 2004 can suck my symbiote because this movie, despite having it's fair share of issues, was overall decent and entertaining. Overall, I liked it well enough. I don't need movies to be flawless masterpieces. They're not THAT important. Personally, I think this is an example of shills wanting Non-MCU Marvel movies to bomb so bad, that they will automatically b*tch and moan in order to keep the tired narrative alive of "ONLY THE MCU CAN DO GOOD SUPERHERO MOVIES."  ::)

A flawed but entertaining movie? I'll take that over alot of the cookie cutter MCU stuff. The hell with group think.

If there's any consolation, the film's financial success will be sour grapes among MCU fanboys.

Going back to the critics for moment: yeah, the narrative they run with crap like "only MCU can make good movies" or "Nolan is the only who gets Batman" really is tiresome, as well as both are absolutely false. Never mind the fact those things have their own issues that would've been condemned if other movies have them, but it's conveniently disregarded when assessing trash like Infinity War or TDK.

But of course, critics do have influence as people are quick to defend something based on general consensus, and the media will happily lap it up to sell the movie to a widespread audience willing to submit to brand loyalty, blindly. Sometimes, even violently. I remember reading Rotten Tomatoes had to shut down TDKR's ratings because the brainless fanboys sent death threats to anybody who didn't give the film a positive review when it came out, as well as attacking reviewers who didn't like the second Nolan movie. Even the first Avengers movie had fans being guilty of such vile worship, I remember fans attacked a reviewer who thought the movie was merely okay. Yes, that's how moronic and dangerous people are. For some reason, if a comic book movie gets good reviews AND makes billions of dollars, you have to like it. You can't dare say it's bad. Not even Star Wars fans are as pathetic as this fan base, I'm afraid to say.

Finally, I noticed Aquaman was getting an overwhelming positive word of mouth in the past few weeks it opened in other countries like China, but it appears that the critics in North America are trying to dampen the enthusiasm with giving it bad reviews or backhanded compliments. Don't expect the tired "DC is doomed" narrative to go away any time soon. ::)

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 22 Dec  2018, 10:07
I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of this, Joker. But I've seen a few scenes from the movie online, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to skip the rest of it. Not only because it appears to have the same garbage-tier humour that's plaguing the MCU nowadays, but I heard a rumour that Venom was compromised into a PG-13 rating so Sony could regain some hope to tie it together with the MCU, specifically with Tom Holland's Spider-Man. :-[

If that's true, that gives me less motivation to watch it. I would've preferred an R-rated horror film for a change, as it was originally reported.

Sure, Venom is enjoyable enough, it's just not anything that would have truly made the film special with it's plot and direction. For me, and especially after just posting about my personal Spider-Man solo movie rankings, which evidently doesn't differ from your own, I would place Venom somewhere around SM3 and ASM. Which reiterates the film being serviceable, but unfortunately, in my mind, not reaching it's full potential which may have very well placed it right up there with SM2.

There's a number of ways a R rated Venom movie could have been achieved, and evidently will remain a great "what if" route for some time to come. However, I'm sure Sony is pleased with the film's box office, and is happy with the overall product as is. It's just that the film doesn't stand out from the usual Superhero fare we've seen for years now.

If there's any consolation, the film's financial success will be sour grapes among MCU fanboys.

Going back to the critics for moment: yeah, the narrative they run with crap like "only MCU can make good movies" or "Nolan is the only who gets Batman" really is tiresome, as well as both are absolutely false. Never mind the fact those things have their own issues that would've been condemned if other movies have them, but it's conveniently disregarded when assessing trash like Infinity War or TDK.

But of course, critics do have influence as people are quick to defend something based on general consensus, and the media will happily lap it up to sell the movie to a widespread audience willing to submit to brand loyalty, blindly. Sometimes, even violently. I remember reading Rotten Tomatoes had to shut down TDKR's ratings because the brainless fanboys sent death threats to anybody who didn't give the film a positive review when it came out, as well as attacking reviewers who didn't like the second Nolan movie. Even the first Avengers movie had fans being guilty of such vile worship, I remember fans attacked a reviewer who thought the movie was merely okay. Yes, that's how moronic and dangerous people are. For some reason, if a comic book movie gets good reviews AND makes billions of dollars, you have to like it. You can't dare say it's bad. Not even Star Wars fans are as pathetic as this fan base, I'm afraid to say.

Despite my issues with Sony, it does warm my cold black heart to see Venom as a financial success, along with Into the Spider-Verse getting much praise. If anything, it's a double slap in the face to MCU-NPC's.

QuoteFinally, I noticed Aquaman was getting an overwhelming positive word of mouth in the past few weeks it opened in other countries like China, but it appears that the critics in North America are trying to dampen the enthusiasm with giving it bad reviews or backhanded compliments. Don't expect the tired "DC is doomed" narrative to go away any time soon. ::)

Yes, there's appeal in non-MCU material. Imagine that. Alternatives to the Disney/MCU/Feige output is welcome. I'm sure there's some very entertaining Dick Tracy/Fighting American/Mr. A/Vampirella/Bloodshot/X-O Manowar/Lady Death movies that could be made. Or how about stuff printed under Image? Spawn? ... imagine what a The Maxx movie would be like? Or a R rated Youngblood?

Lotsa untapped cinematic material.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Well, Venom 2 is shaping up with a lot of potential. Now that the MCU has no use for Ulysses Klaue, Andy Serkis has been hired to direct the sequel. Robert Richardson, who was deprived of the chance of working on Ben Affleck's unproduced Batman movie, is hired as the movie's director of photography.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-2-adds-once-a-time-hollywood-cinematographer-1232465

I never watched the first Venom, and I had less desire to do so when it ended up becoming a PG-13 blockbuster. But if Serkis has a vision to make the sequel something special and it get away from the PG-13 formula, I might give it a chance. Judging by the new faces and Tom Hardy returning, I think I'll take Venom 2 any day, than all of the garbage the MCU and Warner will try to throw at us in the coming years. Fingers crossed.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the trash media and moronic fanboys will do their best to put the movie down like last time, and NPCs will follow whatever the critical consensus will be. But f*** 'em.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei