Rate Justice League!

Started by Paul (ral), Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 16:17

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you rate Justice League?

Not really feeling Screen Rant's anti-JL Batman article here.

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-batman-gun-dumb-plan-final-battle/

Screen Rant claim:

Batman was stupid to go alone and attract Parademons.

I'm 100% certain Batman intended to die in the Snyder cut. He was sacrificing himself, and the scene does make more sense in that context. The reshoots changed the context to make Batman a heroic loner, but even then, the scene still works. We can assume Batman thinks he can take on an alien army single handedly, and simply realizes he bit off more than he could chew mid battle. He discovers he's not invincible and working in a team isn't so bad. Batman is an egotistical, pig headed guy at times. This remains in line with his personality, and makes him human at the same time.

Screen Rant claim:

Batman shouldn't use guns because it dumbs him down.

I say that's nonsense. A human being picking off aliens with long range weapons is logical. Who wants to engage in combat if you don't have to? The last time Batman fought a Parademon it was a struggle and he had to call in the Knightcrawler. The scenario was war, not sleuthing.

Batman adapts to situations. He manages to survive because he keeps the tricks flowing. His car rolls off a cliff, but he ejects himself from the wreck, glides away and re-enters the fight. I'm positive the car roll was Batman's suicide attempt in the Snyder cut before a League member saved him, with the reshoots changing the context. That does make more sense in my opinion, but the final product still manages to work.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 16 Feb  2018, 01:03
Screen Rant claim:

Batman shouldn't use guns because it dumbs him down.

I wonder if this author applied this criticism against other Batman movies in the past for doing the exact same thing? Probably not.  ::)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu, 15 Feb  2018, 22:48
I voted "Very Good." I can't pinpoint what kept me from saying "Excellent," but it doesn't matter. I totally loved it from start to finish. It wasn't quite a 9 or 10 which I guess is excellent but it was for sure in the mid to high 8s.

That's about where I put it. It doesn't stand out in any way to merit a 9 or 10 rating but it certainly does enough right to keep us entertained. Maybe the extended cut will break enough ground for a better rating? I guess we'll see.

Quote from: riddler on Sat, 17 Feb  2018, 18:59
Maybe the extended cut will break enough ground for a better rating? I guess we'll see.
Don't expect an extended cut. WB want Snyder dead and buried.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 20 Feb  2018, 03:46
Quote from: riddler on Sat, 17 Feb  2018, 18:59
Maybe the extended cut will break enough ground for a better rating? I guess we'll see.
Don't expect an extended cut. WB want Snyder dead and buried.

If there's any truth to the story that Snyder was fired, I don't know if there would be any legal ramifications if they reversed position and released everything he shot. Because I'm sure in firing him, he lost income in some aspect of that deal. So releasing his vision for which the studio fired him might be a sticky situation. That might be why there are hardly any deleted scenes. I could see that being a significant issue in court. At the very least it might be a face saving gesture for the studio, because in the end it would show they have no idea what they're doing. Like most things, they would be the last to figure that out.

Sat, 24 Feb 2018, 08:58 #35 Last Edit: Sat, 24 Feb 2018, 11:53 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: Wayne49 on Wed, 21 Feb  2018, 12:46
If there's any truth to the story that Snyder was fired, I don't know if there would be any legal ramifications if they reversed position and released everything he shot. Because I'm sure in firing him, he lost income in some aspect of that deal. So releasing his vision for which the studio fired him might be a sticky situation. That might be why there are hardly any deleted scenes. I could see that being a significant issue in court. At the very least it might be a face saving gesture for the studio, because in the end it would show they have no idea what they're doing. Like most things, they would be the last to figure that out.

This situation is definitely a mess. At the same time, if Snyder were to come out and disown JL and confirm he had been undermined by the studio, it makes it even more illogical that he was credited for directing the film, if say, half it of wasn't what he had envisioned. I said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again, it's been a PR disaster for everybody involved.

With that being said, other than the many clips we saw in the trailers that got reshot or never made it to the final theatrical cut, there are only two deleted scenes that have been released online, both of which feature Superman. The video below contains one scene where he returns to Fortress of Solitude to get his costume back, and the other scene shows him meeting Alfred for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiLwuZQN3Vo

There are also supposed quotes by the actor who played Steppenwolf that the final product wasn't the same movie he worked on, and hopes the director's cut gets released, but I don't trust the source from where this news came from.

I'm still convinced a Snyder cut does exist, but as you say, the possible legal ramifications could prove troublesome.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 16 Feb  2018, 01:03
I'm 100% certain Batman intended to die in the Snyder cut.

Normally I hate to engage in speculation, but I guess it's hardly speculating when it comes straight from the horse's mouth. I just saw this screenshot on Vero of Snyder replying back to a fan about those crosses in the background when Superman died in BvS:

Source: https://twitter.com/claytalian/status/975164235289366528

If we're assuming correctly to what Snyder was implying, maybe Affleck's Batman signing off in a heroic death - for good - was going to be the original plan all along. No coming back to life like Superman. No bullsh*t auto-pilot cop-out like in Rises. A heroic death that would stay permanent for once, and given Affleck's age, you can't help but suspect there's some truth to that.

Mon, 19 Mar 2018, 20:31 #37 Last Edit: Mon, 19 Mar 2018, 20:35 by Azrael
If this is true, if Snyder really intended to kill off Batman in his second movie appearance in this continuity (Suicide Squad was a cameo), then Justice League: The Movie was doomed from the start, and the mediocre product released in theaters was the least worst outcome.

(The tragedy is I really loved Affleck's Batman/ Wayne and Jeremy Irons had the potential to be the best Alfred. If they made a decent movie with them).

Quote from: Azrael on Mon, 19 Mar  2018, 20:31If this is true, if Snyder really intended to kill off Batman in his second movie appearance in this continuity (Suicide Squad was a cameo), then Justice League: The Movie was doomed from the start, and the mediocre product released in theaters was the least worst outcome.
Not sure I agree with that. Right now the status of Batman in live action cinema seems completely up in the air. Affleck's Batman dying would simplify that.

Then again, I have my doubts WB would've allowed Snyder to kill Batman off. Those comments from Snyder could mean a lot of things. I can't picture him being given permission to kill the character off. All due respect to everybody involved with these movies but if WB wasn't willing to allow Nolan to kill his version of Batman off (and they weren't), why would they allow Snyder to do basically the same thing?

The way things are right now, maybe the best move would be to scrap the DCEU and either start over or else just let Marvel run the table. Seems like that's what everybody wants. "The fans" don't deserve more movies in my opinion.

Since I'm here, let me add I really don't understand the fixation people have on the black suit. The way people have talked about it, you'd almost think Superman didn't wear a black suit in MOS or something.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 19 Mar  2018, 12:34
If we're assuming correctly to what Snyder was implying, maybe Affleck's Batman signing off in a heroic death - for good - was going to be the original plan all along. No coming back to life like Superman. No bullsh*t auto-pilot cop-out like in Rises. A heroic death that would stay permanent for once, and given Affleck's age, you can't help but suspect there's some truth to that.
Don't be foolish. My post said I believe Batman INTENDED to die in the Snyder cut, not that he would. It would've been about atoning for his perceived sins during BvS. The falling Batmobile cannon shell in slow motion during the red sky finale gives it away. We see this same visual signifier during the Wayne murders and Superman's funeral.

I'm guessing Bats wanted to attract the Parademon swarms so he could be granted a good death, perhaps evoking the beginning of TDK Returns where he pushes his car to breaking point, only to eject seconds before immolation. I'd say in the film, Aquaman or some other member would've rescued him before this took place. The studio would've freaked and thus the reshoots were ordered to change the context of certain things...which is a real shame because all the deeper meaning and character growth is now glossed over and simplified. But it is what it is.

As for the DCEU as a whole, I'd be lying if I said my enthusiasm hadn't taken a hit. I was happy as a clam during the MoS and BvS days, even though the critics and media were on the warpath. JL is still an enjoyable film for all its issues, but what did it really achieve? It pleased some people but frustrated others. It certainly didn't bank as much cash as it should have.

I'm positive Snyder was going to lighten the mood somewhat (Barry drawing on that guy's face was his scene) but the company version of JL was definitely a lurch in direction to the MCU, which doesn't appeal to me that much.

Four of the hollowest words I've ever seen plastered anywhere is JL's 'Directed by Zack Snyder' credit. It seems The Big Z stuck to his guns throughout the filmmaking process, and the studio cautiously went along with it. But as things progressed they needed any excuse to shaft the guy, and it just so happened to be his daughter's death.

The spark is still alive with my fandom, but it's not with the DCEU as much. It's more with the usual suspects (B66, B89, etc) right now. The Telltale series is also a huge factor in keeping me engaged, and of course the comics. Problem is I don't have as much time to enjoy this stuff as I used to. But fandom as a concept isn't going anywhere with me. It never truly dies, it just remains dormant.

I have to really *feel* something to be excited and engaged. I felt that with Snyder, and that whole situation poured cold water on my DCEU vibe, mixed in with Batfleck's future. It's still okay....but just not what I'd like it to be. I just wish they allowed Snyder's film to be made before moving on with their new direction.