Rate Justice League!

Started by Paul (ral), Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 16:17

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you rate Justice League?

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 18 Nov  2017, 07:51
The thought that Snyder would've inserted all of those cut scenes from the trailers if it weren't for WB's idiotic demands is making me flustered. This goes to show that WB have NOT learned anything from the mistakes they made by removing that important half hour footage from BvS. And if it's true that they wanted to remove the No Man's Land footage from WW, then yes, they should fired.
After seeing it a second time, I'm with you on the 6.5 or 7/10 score. But they'd be foolish not to do an extended cut because it'd sell like hotcakes and would satisfy the fanbase. BvS's UC did really well on home video. If a good chunk of the scenes are reinstated and pre-existing scenes are lengthened I'd be happier. I just think it's a shame if these things stay on the cutting room floor. But anyway, I won't keep repeating the same things.

One of my fave scene from the film is the discussion in the batcave when Bruce suggests they bring back Superman.

In this scene he is a leader but also a man with guilt and aggression. He has a dark side. He is willing to do whatever it takes to save the world because he knows the threat the world is facing. I also dig how Bruce acknowledges the importance of science, given his interest in that field, and his comment about having a contingency plan. This scene has it all.

"You're an inspiration Diana. You don't just save people, you make people see their better selves. And yet I never heard of you until Luthor lured you out by stealing a picture of your dead boyfriend. You shut yourself down for a century, so let's not talk about me moving on."

THAT is Bruce Wayne. Affleck delivers this in a steely way, verbally punching back after Diana physically punched him. Loved it. Plus his "he'll get over it" comment about Clark being brought back to life. Bruce walking around without the cowl is always great to see as well. Whatever happens next, Ben has been a great Batman.

I leaning more towards the "Good" option. Which is probably what I'll vote in a few minutes.

It's enjoyable enough, but I really wish WB would have catered to the fans who support the Snyder's DCEU's vision and not so much attempting to win over the detractor's.

There's some good stuff with JL, and I liked it, but I can't say the overzealous shift in tone from MOS/BvS was really that pleasing. Just makes me wish I could get my hands on a copy of Snyder's original cut for comparisons sakes.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 19 Nov  2017, 16:19
It's enjoyable enough, but I really wish WB would have catered to the fans who support the Snyder's DCEU's vision and not so much attempting to win over the detractor's.
You know what's dumb about this?

BvS was 2.30 mins in cinemas.
JL was 2 hours in cinemas.

JL is going to make less money than the longer film.

So the lesson I tell everyone again is to NEVER appease. NEVER take a backward step.
You just end up frustrating everyone instead of pleasing your core base.

The reaction I see around the net is similar to ours. The movie was good but for the love of Xenu, give us the FULL movie.

Superman visiting Alfred, Bruce looking at the Superman hologram, Clark hallucinating Jonathan Kent, Deathstroke breaking Lex out of jail, Cyborg's football past, Lois outing Clark as Superman to Perry at the end, etc, etc. WE WANT IT!

It's so frustrating to walk into the cinema with a bunch of friends who haven't seen any of the trailers, knowing these folks are not seeing the true version of this film. They thought it was a good movie, but their reaction SHOULD have been greater than that. WB really need to stop funkin' around in the editing bay. Put the best version possible on the big screen, not the small screen. Because that's the version everyone is going to remember the most.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 20 Nov  2017, 00:10
Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 19 Nov  2017, 16:19
You know what's dumb about this?

BvS was 2.30 mins in cinemas.
JL was 2 hours in cinemas.

JL is going to make less money than the longer film.

So the lesson I tell everyone again is to NEVER appease. NEVER take a backward step.
You just end up frustrating everyone instead of pleasing your core base.

The reaction I see around the net is similar to ours. The movie was good but for the love of Xenu, give us the FULL movie.

Superman visiting Alfred, Bruce looking at the Superman hologram, Clark hallucinating Jonathan Kent, Deathstroke breaking Lex out of jail, Cyborg's football past, Lois outing Clark as Superman to Perry at the end, etc, etc. WE WANT IT!

It's so frustrating to walk into the cinema with a bunch of friends who haven't seen any of the trailers, knowing these folks are not seeing the true version of this film. They thought it was a good movie, but their reaction SHOULD have been greater than that. WB really need to stop funkin' around in the editing bay. Put the best version possible on the big screen, not the small screen. Because that's the version everyone is going to remember the most.

I'm afraid WB might nix the remainder of the DCEU after Aquaman. They're probably going to jump to false conclusions claiming the shared universe doesn't work for DC. The problem isn't Affleck, or Snyder, or Whedon. The problem is WB gets in their own way by meddling. Wonder Woman lacked interference from the studio and look how that turned out.

This reminds me of the Daredevil movie; shot entirely to be rated R before Fox stepped in during post production and ordered it to be cut to PG. The difference is Marvel learned their lesson and hasn't done that since while WB continues to interfere and produce lackluster results

Quote from: riddler on Tue, 21 Nov  2017, 14:38
The problem isn't Affleck, or Snyder, or Whedon. The problem is WB gets in their own way by meddling. Wonder Woman lacked interference from the studio and look how that turned out.

This reminds me of the Daredevil movie; shot entirely to be rated R before Fox stepped in during post production and ordered it to be cut to PG. The difference is Marvel learned their lesson and hasn't done that since while WB continues to interfere and produce lackluster results
Exactly right.

The jungle drums are beating.

'Justice League' Cinematographer Hopes for a Director's Cut

"This one was even shorter than I expected, so there are scenes that aren't in there. I really hope we get to see a director's cut, which will give us everything that we shot that didn't make it in," says Wagner. "What I love about his [Snyder's] director's cuts is they are long, but he takes his time to tell the story. I've never watched any of his directors cut and thought 'This is long." Whether they are three hours long, or three hours and ten minutes, they always seemed to go quick."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-cinematographer-hopes-a-directors-cut-1060773?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Jason Momoa Says "A Lot" Got Cut from 'Justice League', Including Willem Dafoe

"We had it all planned out. A lot of things got cut. But it's not my movie."

http://collider.com/justice-league-cut-scenes-jason-momoa-aquaman/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

Stunt Batman explains his thoughts on an extended cut

Warner Bros. Faces A Possible $50M To $100M Loss On 'Justice League'

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/11/20/warner-bros-faces-a-possible-50m-to-100m-loss-on-justice-league/#410e11635d8b

Serves them right for wasting so much more money on reshoots/visual effects.

To quote a song used in the movie....EVERYBODY KNOWS.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 20 Nov  2017, 00:10

I want to hear more about these scenes. Are there major details about them?

Check out the DCEU Leaks pages on reddit. You'll get an idea of what Snyder had in mind.

Look folks, my prime beef (with horseradish crust) is with WB.

POS Whedon and Fanny Elfman are not to blame. They only did what they do. WB hired them.

Someone posted the JL ending on Twitter and added Zimmer's Superman theme in the background. The GerMAN of Steel's music elevated the scene into something truly special. The timing was on point, with the theme peaking with the shirt rip. I can't post it here for obvious reasons...but what a crying shame. There's another an edit with The Red Capes are Coming, which they have with the Lex post-credit scene. Soooo much better.

Snyder also liked a petition calling for a director's cut. But knowing WB, they'll keep the Frankenstein version of JL as canon and keep the real deal under lock and key. Moving on when something special is being ignored doesn't sit well with me.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 22 Nov  2017, 11:27
Check out the DCEU Leaks pages on reddit. You'll get an idea of what Snyder had in mind.

I had written a news story for the site with the list you mentioned. However, a couple have been debunked, so without being completely convinced of their authenticity I chose not to post it.

And then there's the scenes we don't know about. There's also the final battle, which was clearly re-worked, and a huge chunk of Superman's role in the film was clearly re-shot, given the CG mouth. And that's not taking into account if Superman was truly evil for a chunk of the film.

He at the very least was supposed to have the black suit at one point in the film:

http://ew.com/article/2016/08/15/henry-cavill-black-superman-suit/

(EDIT: Though, I suppose that simply could be a B&W photograph making the suit look black.)

Also, there was that whole "Unite the Seven" thing with the Aquaman poster. There are only six members in the film.