Justice League - non-spoiler reviews

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 13:18

Previous topic - Next topic

DC finally expands it's horizons bringing the league together on the big screen to lukewarm results.

Ben Affleck owns the cowl and doesn't disappoint. Both his interrogation techniques and fighting skills resemble something out of an Arkham game. Batman doesn't kill any humans this time around but he shows off his wonderful toys.
Gal Gadot is on her game again, her character becomes just as important as Bruce Wayne especially early in the film bringing the team together. Her lasso becomes her version of a utility belt and doesn't go to waste.
Superman is far closer to the character than his previous portrayals. Metropolis and it's Man of steel are portrayed lighter and brighter this time around, differentiating their world from Batman and Gotham. Henry Cavill really shows his acting range here giving us an altered version of the character from the last time we saw him
Cyborg feels somewhat cut down, the character isn't fleshed out as much as he could have been. The scenes we get are a treat though, Cyborg's hacking abilities are showcased. Victor Stone has a complex relationship with his father which is hinted at but not fully developed.
Aquaman is portrayed similar to his presence in the New 52. Far less comedic relief and silly, and more tough and edgy. Jason Momoa gives us a character we don't need to feel ashamed cheering for, of the six heroes featured here, one could argue Aquaman is the most badass.
Barry Allen is still early in his career, learning what he can do. Nothing against the TV show but it is nice seeing the Flash have to make decisions on his own without having a team at S.T.A.R. labs in his ear telling him what to do. Showing a flawed and somewhat sloppy hero helps ground the story and allows the audience to relate more to the humanity of a character who possesses a power we can only dream off.
Steppenwolf is less than impressive. Great name, mediocre character. He's not a bad villain but he isn't delightful and menacing the way Loki was in the Avengers, nor were his motivations as developed as Loki's. Instead we have another monster looking to take over the world because that's something he likes to do. Certainly a powerful and fearsome villain but not an overly memorable one.

Overall I liked how every character meant something unique to the team. Some may question if Aquaman needed to be there. He does as Atlantis while rarely shown plays a key part in the film's plot as does the Amazon. Danny Elfman gives some nods to the classic Batman and Superman themes though the score is merely acceptable. Danny doesn't crank out any new scores likely to become part of his classics. One problem which has plagued every DCEU film without 'Wonder Woman' in the title is the uneven tones of the films. Man of Steel has a heavy Christopher Nolan influence at certain parts, Batman V Superman suffered from tonal shifts due to the editing, and Suicide Squad was all over the pace. Despite having two directors, Justice League keeps a steady flow, even if it is flowing slightly too fast for some moviegoers. Inevitably with this project cut down from two films to one 121 minute film, useful content will be left on the cutting room floor. At the end of the day this leaves many fans including me wanting more. Luckily we'll get our chance, either via an extended cut or sequel. Take your pick but either way I can't wait for more from these characters.

Final rating: 8/10

Thanks for the reviews, gentlemen. I enjoyed reading them.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 17 Nov  2017, 16:15
Danny Elfman gives some nods to the classic Batman and Superman themes though the score is merely acceptable.
The score reflects the film.
Quote from: riddler on Fri, 17 Nov  2017, 16:15
Despite having two directors, Justice League keeps a steady flow, even if it is flowing slightly too fast for some moviegoers.
If this is legit, and I think it probably is, you can see why Snyder would be feeling dejected or simply pissed right now.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/community-spotlight-dceu-era-ot-crisis-on-infinite-forums.465/page-130#post-1089110

The post by ultracal31 spells it all out. They cut so much of Snyder's content or simply re-filmed it.

Other users on other sites claim to have details of content Snyder intended. It would've elaborated on certain plot points that the Whedon final cut simply glossed over. It would've been a better movie, no doubt.

So f***in' gutless. I was on board with a lighter tone but I HATE lack of courage/determination and pandering. The critics were going to s*** all over the movie anyway, and they did. If WB always get cold feet and screw around with directors and their true vision, the end result is always going to be the same. I liked the fact WB/DC had a darker tone. They can have a lighter tone, sure, but if it's all too much, sit the kiddie winks down and put on Justice League Action or BTAS re-runs.

It's a 6/10 movie and the haters are going overboard, but man, the WHAT IFS really piss me off.

Sun, 19 Nov 2017, 01:14 #4 Last Edit: Sun, 19 Nov 2017, 02:19 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 19 Nov  2017, 00:25
So f***in' gutless. I was on board with a lighter tone but I HATE lack of courage/determination and pandering. The critics were going to s*** all over the movie anyway, and they did.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 19 Nov  2017, 00:25
It's a 6/10 movie and the haters are going overboard, but man, the WHAT IFS really piss me off.

The critics and detractors have shown their true colours. If there was any doubt before, there isn't now.

Look, I'm not saying nobody can be genuinely disappointed with this movie or any other. We all have different tastes, and we all have different ideas of what makes a movie good. But even putting that aside, there's simply no way you could say this objectively was the worst film ever, or as bad as some say it is. There's simply no way this film objectified its female characters, like a lot of these detractors on social media have been saying. There's no way this film is devoid of any sort of character development if you actually paid to it, unlike Mark bloody Kermode.

The over-exaggerated negative hyperbole surrounding these films have me convinced there is an agenda going on there. I really do hate to say it, but it makes me wonder if gender politics had influenced these critics' praise for Wonder Woman. The fact that nobody complained when she killed people, while making a big deal over Superman and Batman for doing the same thing in the very same franchise, really makes me suspicious. That alone is quite dubious.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Sun, 19 Nov 2017, 03:57 #5 Last Edit: Sun, 19 Nov 2017, 04:10 by The Laughing Fish
We've got a problem people, Joss Whedon is accused of liking a Tweet by some Vanity Fair blogger who criticised Steppenwolf. Under the circumstances, it wouldn't really be a big deal, except this particular blogger is notorious among fans on Twitter for her extreme hatred for Zack Snyder.

Tweet in question: https://twitter.com/DcSkwad/status/931268279741636609

Source of article: http://www.nme.com/news/film/joss-whedon-upsets-justice-league-fans-liking-controversial-tweet-2160436

You would think these "people" (and I use the term loosely) would have the decency to keep themselves in check after Snyder didn't even get to complete the post-production because of family tragedy. No, instead they DOUBLED DOWN and still insisted he did that to save face. Unbelievable. Is this how FAR BELOW we have sunken as a society? Are we really that dehumanised and petty to the point we express such vitriol because something didn't live up to our expectations? I've had strong opinions about certain films and directors, but I don't cross the line like these "people" do. This poisonous pile-on is morally corrupt.

Anyway, some people are defending Whedon's like of the tweet because they say he has the right to criticise his own work, but I disagree. Under the circumstances which I already mentioned, Whedon was brought in for rewrites, reshoots and oversee the post-production. He was supposed to finish somebody's work. I'm sure Whedon is very aware of how hostile these types of bloggers are towards Snyder, so if it's true what he did, that's a low act. And given that Whedon left Twitter at one stage because he faced his own backlash for how he wrote Black Widow in Age of Ultron, he should be more sympathetic.

I liked the movie, better than any Disney/Marvel film any day.  Would like to see the Snyder cut, though.  Somebody should petition WB.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Sun, 19 Nov  2017, 04:43
I liked the movie, better than any Disney/Marvel film any day.  Would like to see the Snyder cut, though.  Somebody should petition WB.
I saw the movie again and I liked it more than my first viewing.

I'd be okay if the scenes Whedon shot remained (along with Elfman's score), and the Snyder content which doesn't clash is extended or reinstated where possible. I think that's the best we can hope for.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 19 Nov  2017, 01:14
The over-exaggerated negative hyperbole surrounding these films have me convinced there is an agenda going on there. I really do hate to say it, but it makes me wonder if gender politics had influenced these critics' praise for Wonder Woman. The fact that nobody complained when she killed people, while making a big deal over Superman and Batman for doing the same thing in the very same franchise, really makes me suspicious. That alone is quite dubious.

I've had that thought, and wouldn't doubt it for a second. The WW film deserved it's praise, and success, but at the same time, I'm sure there were sheep who intentionally softened any criticisms that may have been legit, in fear of being called a sexist, racist, or any kind of ist that gets thrown around commonly these days.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 19 Nov  2017, 03:57
You would think these "people" (and I use the term loosely) would have the decency to keep themselves in check after Snyder didn't even get to complete the post-production because of family tragedy. No, instead they DOUBLED DOWN and still insisted he did that to save face. Unbelievable. Is this how FAR BELOW we have sunken as a society? Are we really that dehumanised and petty to the point we express such vitriol because something didn't live up to our expectations? I've had strong opinions about certain films and directors, but I don't cross the line like these "people" do. This poisonous pile-on is morally corrupt.

Oh, it's definitely a type of derangement syndrome when it comes to the hate Snyder gets. You could probably say Zack lost his entire family, and is currently homeless, and they still would have snark comments to make about him. These type of scumbags aren't adults. They are emotionally, and socially stunted. Low energy.

QuoteAnyway, some people are defending Whedon's like of the tweet because they say he has the right to criticise his own work, but I disagree. Under the circumstances which I already mentioned, Whedon was brought in for rewrites, reshoots and oversee the post-production. He was supposed to finish somebody's work. I'm sure Whedon is very aware of how hostile these types of bloggers are towards Snyder, so if it's true what he did, that's a low act. And given that Whedon left Twitter at one stage because he faced his own backlash for how he wrote Black Widow in Age of Ultron, he should be more sympathetic.

True. Whedon is kinda similar to Kevin Smith, in so much that he has a very loyal fan following who will defend him at every turn. I actually prefer his comic book work over anything he's yet done cinematically, and that includes the tv shows he's responsible for. The announcement that he's directing Batgirl drew a "Whoop-dee-F'N-Doo" from me.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 19 Nov  2017, 05:26
I'd be okay if the scenes Whedon shot remained (along with Elfman's score), and the Snyder content which doesn't clash is extended or reinstated where possible. I think that's the best we can hope for.

Yeah, my desire to see a 'director's cut' JL movie more in line with Snyder's vision, and thus more consistent with MOS/BvS, is pretty great right now. Though I don't have much faith that it will happen. Suicide Squad got an extended cut and there was still alot that was missing. Which was a shame. The theatrical cuts can remain THE DCEU continuity if that's what they want, but a alternate version, of what could/might have been, especially since these films are CLEARLY being interfered with, would be a treat. Cater to the fans WB. Not the whining negativity. You're never going to win with them. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 02:04 #9 Last Edit: Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 02:09 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 19 Nov  2017, 16:55
The WW film deserved it's praise, and success, but at the same time, I'm sure there were sheep who intentionally softened any criticisms that may have been legit, in fear of being called a sexist, racist, or any kind of ist that gets thrown around commonly these days.
100%.

Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 19 Nov  2017, 16:55Oh, it's definitely a type of derangement syndrome when it comes to the hate Snyder gets. You could probably say Zack lost his entire family, and is currently homeless, and they still would have snark comments to make about him.
100%.

Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 19 Nov  2017, 16:55
Yeah, my desire to see a 'director's cut' JL movie more in line with Snyder's vision, and thus more consistent with MOS/BvS, is pretty great right now. Though I don't have much faith that it will happen. Suicide Squad got an extended cut and there was still alot that was missing. Which was a shame. The theatrical cuts can remain THE DCEU continuity if that's what they want, but a alternate version, of what could/might have been, especially since these films are CLEARLY being interfered with, would be a treat. Cater to the fans WB. Not the whining negativity. You're never going to win with them.
100%. 

They add Snyder's Knightmare Batman to the DC canon, but cowardly ignore this plot line in JL. Nah, this isn't going to win over fans like me. These studios need to change professions. They're not filmmakers, they're BUTCHERS.

"You know what....?

....I think WB is out of order".