Justice League - ***SPOILER TALK***

Started by Grissom, Wed, 15 Nov 2017, 19:30

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: riddler on Sat,  9 Dec  2017, 16:29
I wouldn't call myself a Whedon fan but he wasn't the one who decided to cut JL down to 2 hours, he was just the one who had to actually do it and slap his name on it.
Yeah, I know, but it was just a joke on the contrast in styles between Snyder and Whedon with the reshoots.

I thought it was funny.

Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 12:35 #51 Last Edit: Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 12:38 by The Laughing Fish
Did anybody else noted that one bit of dialogue where Gordon says to Batman "It's good to see you working well with others again" was slightly edited in the final cut? The word again was removed altogether. I thought that was unnecessary because, as fans had pointed out online, it was presumed that Batman working with the other metahumans represented the first time he was dealing with acquaintances since Robin's death. Maybe it doesn't change that theory, but come on, was it really necessary? We know the JL used teamwork to rescue Silas Stone and the other hostages, and Batman's willingness to work with others the contributed to that success. But did the producers think that having Gordon saying "again" at the end confuse the audience and didn't give them enough credit to make that connection?

Then again, a fair amount of stuff in BvS did go over a lot of people's heads, so I guess it's possible.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 12 Dec  2017, 12:35Then again, a fair amount of stuff in BvS did go over a lot of people's heads, so I guess it's possible.
This. I put it down to the stupidity of the common man. Harsh? I call 'em like I see 'em.

When I worked from home and had virtually zero contact with the outside world, I had begun suspecting that I was a little stupid. But when I began working outside home again and interacting with people all day every day, I quickly discovered that any average person you see on the street barely has two IQ points to rub together.

I'm not trying to be mean. Or even self-aggrandizing, really. Because I know authentic geniuses and am well aware of the fact that I can't hold a candle to them. My point is that the median is pretty f***ing low... which you wouldn't immediately guess if you spend time on message boards and whatnot, which requires a certain high agency, low time preference and mental capacity to do.

Might wide audiences have been confuzzled by Gordon saying "again" in the context of a rebooted Batman? I'm not prepared to say no.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 12 Dec  2017, 21:12
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 12 Dec  2017, 12:35Then again, a fair amount of stuff in BvS did go over a lot of people's heads, so I guess it's possible.
This. I put it down to the stupidity of the common man. Harsh? I call 'em like I see 'em.
Don't try and extend an olive branch. Bulldoze the opposition.

I'm an INTJ. INTJs form just two percent of the population. That says it all.

Anyway, I've lost the Batman passion for the time being.

I read a possible analysis of the Snyder cut and even if it's not confirmed I love it.

Wonder Woman failed to stop the bomb, Aquaman was an alcoholic, Cyborg was a Frankenstein, Batman was feeling guilty/suicidal and Superman was tempted/unsure of himself. So much better.

Why do we need the Justice League if Wonder Woman can save the day all by herself? Ideally, the terrorists would've planted bombs all over the building, and Wonder Woman wouldn't have been able to disarm them all in time. These heroes needed to fail so they could be redeemed at the end. The unity of the League would have inspired them all to be better people, and indeed, would've justified the reason for them forming a team in the first place. 'You can't save the world alone'. Character growth was skipped over by Whedon. I cannot call this a cohesive Snyder trilogy because it's not.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 13 Dec  2017, 01:00
I read a possible analysis of the Snyder cut and even if it's not confirmed I love it.

Wonder Woman failed to stop the bomb, Aquaman was an alcoholic, Cyborg was a Frankenstein, Batman was feeling guilty/suicidal and Superman was tempted/unsure of himself. So much better.

Why do we need the Justice League if Wonder Woman can save the day all by herself? Ideally, the terrorists would've planted bombs all over the building, and Wonder Woman wouldn't have been able to disarm them all in time. These heroes needed to fail so they could be redeemed at the end. The unity of the League would have inspired them all to be better people, and indeed, would've justified the reason for them forming a team in the first place. 'You can't save the world alone'. Character growth was skipped over by Whedon. I cannot call this a cohesive Snyder trilogy because it's not.

Where did you read this? Not to say I don't believe you, but I treat every claim about what the movie could've been if Snyder had full control as hearsay, to be honest. People have been gossiping about the entire DCEU under the sun since BvS, and I'm not eager to start taking anybody's word right now.

But for the sake of an argument, I'm actually quite happy with how the movie dealt with Batman, the end of the opening scene notwithstanding. I don't necessarily think having suicidal tendencies is essential for his character arc. Sure, that level of guilt might have been compelling, but I quite like his desire and confidence in reviving Superman as a means to correct his treatment of him in BvS.

I'll agree that Aquaman was giving the shortest stick out of the whole bunch, and it does feel a lot of his backstory was cut out. And yeah, a lack of exploring how the world regained hope once Superman returns is sticks out like a sore thumb to me. The failure to explore that does leave the mood expressed in the opening credits feeling unresolved.

But other than those couple of instances, I don't quite agree with you that character growth was completely skipped. Not with Wonder Woman becoming a leader in her own right to persuade Cyborg to come out of hiding and join the fight, and Batman's completing his path towards redemption.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

You can buy this digitally on Amazon Prime for $10. Digital only, not bluray.