Most disturbing moment in Batman Returns

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 12 Sep 2020, 05:55

Previous topic - Next topic
BR has a lot of terrifying imagery that could give kids nightmares for days on end. For me, the closest shot that creeped me out the most was Bruce finding Max Shreck's charred body under the rubble.

It's the second time in both Burton Batman films that a criminal gets electrocuted to death till they're burned to a crisp. Suffice to say, they're probably among the most gruesome deaths you will see any Batman film. The scene of Joker taunting Rotelli's charred corpse was an unsettling moment, but it's still somewhat amusing thanks to the Joker's very dark sense of humour. Shreck's death is literally a kiss of death and sets the tone of BR's bittersweet and tragic ending.

What about everybody else here? Which moments disturbed you?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The push-in on the Penguin's funky mouth after he receives Batman's note is straight out of a monster movie. As an adult, I appreciate that moment on that basis.

But as a kid, I remember being really uncomfortable with that. For some reason, deformities and mutations were more horrifying to me than even fatal injuries, idk why

None really.

Course I was sneaking around at a very young age watching Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Return of the Living Dead ect before I even reached 10 years of age, so I was pretty desensitized to such imagery by the time Batman Returns came out.

I guess, maybe, if I had to pick one, the shot of the cat munching on Selina's fingers during her 'resurrection' scene? That might have made me wince.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."