Batman Ninja (2018)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 7 Oct 2017, 22:42

Previous topic - Next topic
Now this looks interesting. A new Japanese Batman anime film has been announced at NY Comic-Con. Titled Batman Ninja, the plot sees Batman travelling back in time to feudal Japan and will feature a cast of classic comic characters that includes Robin, Two-Face, Catwoman, the Joker, Harley Quinn, the Penguin and Gorilla Grodd. No footage has been released online yet, but several NYCC attendees have described seeing an epic rooftop sword fight between Batman and the Joker.

This one's definitely on my radar. It's about time we had some quality animation again in a Batman film.

It's been a while since I spent a good minute looking at promo artwork. Fantastic.

A Japanese studio doing a new animated Bat-film is more than promising. For me some of the best visuals and character designs seen in a Batman animated movie are in Deadshot from Gotham Knight. Batman Shinobi, hm.

The quality of animation in this trailer puts the most recent DC animated universe efforts to shame. I'm looking forward to this.

And here's the latest poster.

I hope the DVD includes the option to watch this with the original Japanese audio.

I think that's a given - this is meant to be watched with Japanese audio.

This might turn out to be the best Batman movie of recent years, by far, animated or not. I even like the music.

A true Batman anime is... kind of an amazing idea, actually.

I enjoyed some anime, but this looks rubbish. Pass.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Azrael on Wed, 17 Jan  2018, 17:13
This might turn out to be the best Batman movie of recent years, by far, animated or not. I even like the music.

I'm getting a similar vibe. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but ever since this movie was announced I've had a very positive feeling about it. If nothing else, the quality of animation in these trailers surpasses that of any previous Batman movie. Since western cinema shifted its focus to CG animation, Japan has really taken the lead in the field of traditional hand drawn cell animation. Just watch The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013) to see what I'm talking about. I'd rate that film above any animated feature produced in the west during the past decade.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 17 Jan  2018, 21:02

For sure. I feel we've been a bit oversaturated with Batman content in recent years, but this one looks very different from anything that's come before (including Gotham Knight). And the novelty factor alone is a big draw for me. The notion of a Japanese film based on an American superhero, with the Japanese creative and cultural sensibilities mapped onto those of the US source material, is an enticing prospect. This might well prove to be the best DC Comics movie of 2018.

Thu, 18 Jan 2018, 10:02 #8 Last Edit: Thu, 18 Jan 2018, 10:07 by Azrael
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 18 Jan  2018, 00:17
Quote from: Azrael on Wed, 17 Jan  2018, 17:13

I'm getting a similar vibe. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but ever since this movie was announced I've had a very positive feeling about it. If nothing else, the quality of animation in these trailers surpasses that of any previous Batman movie. Since western cinema shifted its focus to CG animation, Japan has really taken the lead in the field of traditional hand drawn cell animation. Just watch The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013) to see what I'm talking about. I'd rate that film above any animated feature produced in the west during the past decade.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 17 Jan  2018, 21:02

For sure. I feel we've been a bit oversaturated with Batman content in recent years, but this one looks very different from anything that's come before (including Gotham Knight). And the novelty factor alone is a big draw for me. The notion of a Japanese film based on an American superhero, with the Japanese creative and cultural sensibilities mapped onto those of the US source material, is an enticing prospect. This might well prove to be the best DC Comics movie of 2018.

Agreed.

Doesn't this look exactly like Batman from the Arkhamverse?

Judging by the trailer, the plot seems to be a familiar Batman from Gotham City being somehow transported in a different time and place, Feudal Japan.

After The Killing Joke being such a disappointment and Justice League, well... a bit painful, I have high hopes for this. If the movie is half as good as these visuals, it will be the Batman movie some of us needed. An antidote.

(Of course there's also Gaslight, which might turn out a fine animated movie, but this is a different league).