Batman Returns has my favorite Batman outfit on the big screen. What is yours?

Started by Wayne49, Wed, 4 Oct 2017, 21:21

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 10 Oct  2017, 21:34
Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Tue, 10 Oct  2017, 04:07My personal favorite is the 1989 suit. I know it has it's imperfections, but for me it's perfectly imperfect. I really do love the all black look with the yellow emblem and belt. I'm not sure why, but I didn't like the suit's armored plating in Batman Returns as much as the "muscled" ones in 1989. Although, I think both suits are my top favorites as far as the movies go. y tast
What I love about the B89 suit is the less glossy and more textured look it has. Almost gives the impression of a real bat to it.

It's very theatrical and embodies the atmosphere that surrounds it. Furthermore, I just noticed my had a typo at the end, probably from removing a sentence. D'oh!

I like all suits from 1989-1995, plus Begins and BvS, but if I had to pick only one, it would be BR.

That's probably the best shot of the BR suit I've seen. There's something about it I really like.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 13 Oct  2017, 01:55
That's probably the best shot of the BR suit I've seen. There's something about it I really like.
As much as I love the BR suit, I think it would probably rank higher on my list if it used the same chest symbol as B89. The symbol it uses looks a little Halloween costumey to me.

In my headcanon, Burton's Batman had only been around for a short time by the start of B89. Bruce had travelled the world and collected various antiques, as seen during B89 when Vicki and Knox look through Wayne Manor. He created a batsuit and fought crime for a while, wearing that prototype chest emblem. Perhaps he wasn't using the Batmobile during this time, and it's use during the Museum escape was its debut? After all, he was an urban legend at this point skulking around rooftops and creating a reputation. So I'm thinking the bat emblem evolved since his original debut in the costume, as evident on the Batmobile wheels. By the time of BR, he adopted that design not just for the batsignal, but for his chest.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 13 Oct  2017, 21:33
In my headcanon, Burton's Batman had only been around for a short time by the start of B89. Bruce had travelled the world and collected various antiques, as seen during B89 when Vicki and Knox look through Wayne Manor. He created a batsuit and fought crime for a while, wearing that prototype chest emblem. Perhaps he wasn't using the Batmobile during this time, and it's use during the Museum escape was its debut? After all, he was an urban legend at this point skulking around rooftops and creating a reputation. So I'm thinking the bat emblem evolved since his original debut in the costume, as evident on the Batmobile wheels. By the time of BR, he adopted that design not just for the batsignal, but for his chest.

I wouldn't call it head canon, I thought that was exactly how it was implied. Batman telling the goon "Tell all your friends about me" reads as if not everybody, let alone the criminal underworld, is aware of his existence. You had the police trying to keep Batman's presence quiet from the media, specifically from Alexander Knox who pressed on hard trying to get answers from Eckhardt and Gordon, and Vicki Vale coming to Gotham City to check out whether or not Batman exists. And of course, once the Joker's violence escalates, Batman becomes more visible in the public spotlight, with the news questioning whether he's a friend to the community, or a threat.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  6 Oct  2017, 22:50

So I'll say I adore the panther suit from Batman Forever. Ringwood took the core elements of what worked in the previous Burton movies and added an extra sheen of gloss to it. Yeah, the nipples. But whatever, the suit just looks awesome and Kilmer was probably the most physically appropriate specimen of the 90's movies. Everything about both Kilmer's performance and his suit gives off a bit of a Bronze Agey vibe for me.

As SN says, the Bronze Age thing is evident in the other movies but the tone of and the lead actor's performance in those films don't really strive for the Bronze Age. But it's more apparent (at least to me) in Batman Forever. There are moments in BF where Batman in a weird type of way looks drawn onto the celluloid rather than photographed.

Plus, there's the nostalgia angle where the panther suit was the last suit to include a yellow oval. I don't understand why the yellow oval has been removed since it was a major element of Batman's outfit for over thirty years. But here we are.

Same here, the "Panther Suit" is great. I like it best.

I don't think anyone here has mentioned this on the forum, but the B89 emblem was initially sculpted onto the BR Batsuit. The second photo is taken from a DVD featurette talking about the creation of the costume.

I liked both emblems, but I do prefer the sequel's design. Only because it looks sleeker and resembles closely to both movies' posters. I guess the costume designers thought they might as well go all the way while they were updating the Batsuit on screen.

For the hell of it, I edited these pictures below to see how the original emblem looks on the new Batsuit.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The Tim Burton suit's are my favorites. They look cool plus they have the yellow oval which is my favorite look for Batman.

I know this forum already covered these early Batsuit designs from the third Burton Batman film that never happened, but I noticed how this DeviantArt mock-up of how Keaton could've looked in costume is very identical to B89.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/get-a-look-at-the-michael-keaton-batman-3-costume/

I'm not very keen of the belt. I prefer the original belt design from the two Burton films.

If Keaton does come back, I wonder if they will recreate this Batsuit for a cameo costume appearance in The Flash?